Chase vehicle...what's yours for 2005?

I am just curious as to what chase vehicle you will be using for the 2005 season?
I know some have upgraded to newer vehicles and some will be driving the same road warriors they used last year.

I will be driving my 95' Chrysler LHS or my Dodge Grand Caravan (depending on the chase and distance).

Mine will be the same as last year, and the year before, and even the year before that (who's counting anyway?).

1997 Ford Ranger Pickup. Ugly green and a really beatup topper. Picture may be seen here: http://www.pbase.com/okie34/image/31035542

It's at 105K miles and still ticking like a clock. I figure if I can get another 100K out of it, I'll be really happy.

John

<---- I'll be using the 1999 Ford Expedition you see in my avitar. It sucks gas like it's water but with three teenagers and thier friends it's the size of car I need for a few more years. I think my next car will be the Ford Escape hybrid that gets 35mpg.

If you see me out on the road this spring - stop and say hi!

and two I ran into a tree and broke my anemometer. lol

Mick

DOH! I broke mine on a cargo pod I had strapped to the roof for a plains trip. Wind bucked it right up against it and smashed a cup off. $10 repair according to the inspeed folks.

I've busted a couple of cups off mine, but they've been due to bird strikes. Thin out the Meadowlark population a bit, ya know? I've got a couple of spares thought and the Davis cups are pretty easy to change out as long as you don't lose that TINY hex key.

Trees? Shoot, I just drive right on by. Generally, the sensors are on a telescoping mast. When I'm in the area of the storm, I extend the mast up and watch out for low objects. When I'm getting to the area or normal driving, it's below the antenna so if I scrape the antenna on something, I know to stop and try a different tack.

Yes, the vehicle is high visibility. Since I report to a radio station and some local cable stations, there is a reason for it. If the weather is in North Central Okahoma or South Central Kansas, you will probably see me out there. If I'm parked waiting on a storm, and you feel the need, stop by! I'm always willing to exchange ideas.

"Trees? Shoot, I just drive right on by. "

Well mine was broke by my father-in-laws tree branch. :shock: :x :evil: :oops:

I pulled up in his yard not paying a dang bit of attention and there went my anemometer. $120 to replace it but I don't need it that bad.

Mick

Ouch! You must have smacked it pretty good! They are usually pretty tough against leaves and very small branches. However, you hit it with something about 1/2 inch or better, It's probably going to go.

At least birds have a little bit of "give" to them.

I will be chasing in my 98 Jeep Wrangler. It is emerald green with nice rims, oversized tires and a few good sized hail dents in the hood. Unfortunately it has a soft top, which isn't exactly ideal for storm chasing.

I'll be putting a forth season under the belt of "The Storm Tracer"; my 1999 Mercury Tracer. Added this year, a jotto desk and new struts! Last season, she embarked on over 15,000 chase miles and has tallied up just shy of 25,000 miles in 3 seasons. I anticipate at least another 10,000 chase miles added by the end of the 2005 chase season.

I will be chasing in my 98 Jeep Wrangler. It is emerald green with nice rims, oversized tires and a few good sized hail dents in the hood. Unfortunately it has a soft top, which isn't exactly ideal for storm chasing.

Lucky. Ever since the show MacGuyver, I have wanted a wrangler. You even have war damage to brag about.

Lucky. Ever since the show MacGuyver, I have wanted a wrangler. You even have war damage to brag about.

Yikes! Motorcycles, convertibles and soft top jeeps offer little in the way of a Faraday's cage or skin effect protection from lightning. I'd be getting a different chase vehicle if possible.

Back