Chase vehicle...what's yours for 2005?

Yeah mine does too. This software pings NWS and other rain guages and alerts when rates and amounts show a danger.

I am curious as to how this differs from say, the NWS issuing Flood Advisories, Watches and Warnings and what is the end purpose for it?

Yeah mine does too. This software pings NWS and other rain guages and alerts when rates and amounts show a danger.

I am curious as to how this differs from say, the NWS issuing Flood Advisories, Watches and Warnings and what is the end purpose for it?

Same type of software used in NWS offices that watches the rain guage network and sounds an alarm. The end is that while working on the road we will have this info the same time as nws and before a warning can be typed.We work flooding much more than anyother type of severe weather.

We for the most part operate alone with out a now forecaster.

Same type of software used in NWS offices that watches the rain guage network and sounds an alarm. The end is that while working on the road we will have this info the same time as nws and before a warning can be typed.We work flooding much more than anyother type of severe weather.

We for the most part operate alone with out a now forecaster.

Tom,

I'm not sure I'm following here. If you're getting the same info the NWS is, in the same time frame, then who's making your "warning" decision? That's basically what the NWS is supposed to do. It takes the Forecaster to make the decision to create an advisory, warning, or some similar notification product. This gets released through various routes to Public Service agencies, News Media, and who ever has subscribed for this info. It gets out with very little time lapse. What used to take minutes is now only taking seconds and in many cases, the info is redundant.

Maybe I'm not understanding the "Why" behind this. Are you making your own warnings and sending those out? Are you verifying the data and sending back "ground truth" observations? Are you testing new software that may do these things faster and more accurately?

I'm really curious (as I'm reasonably sure others are) and would like to know.

Tom,

I'm not sure I'm following here. If you're getting the same info the NWS is, in the same time frame, then who's making your "warning" decision? That's basically what the NWS is supposed to do. It takes the Forecaster to make the decision to create an advisory, warning, or some similar notification product. This gets released through various routes to Public Service agencies, News Media, and who ever has subscribed for this info. It gets out with very little time lapse. What used to take minutes is now only taking seconds and in many cases, the info is redundant.

Maybe I'm not understanding the "Why" behind this. Are you making your own warnings and sending those out? Are you verifying the data and sending back "ground truth" observations? Are you testing new software that may do these things faster and more accurately?

Originally posted by John Diel
Tom,

I'm not sure I'm following here. If you're getting the same info the NWS is, in the same time frame, then who's making your \"warning\" decision? That's basically what the NWS is supposed to do. It takes the Forecaster to make the decision to create an advisory, warning, or some similar notification product. This gets released through various routes to Public Service agencies, News Media, and who ever has subscribed for this info. It gets out with very little time lapse. What used to take minutes is now only taking seconds and in many cases, the info is redundant.

Maybe I'm not understanding the \"Why\" behind this. Are you making your own warnings and sending those out? Are you verifying the data and sending back \"ground truth\" observations? Are you testing new software that may do these things faster and more accurately?

We do our own forecasting..We do storm surveys,and research. Our mobile lab does all the above includeing software testing. All for mobile applications. And alot of times we are in the area of the most dangours weather and flooding. We do not post warnings from the van.
Sorry for any clouds that seem to be mudding the water.

Originally posted by John Diel
Tom,

I'm not sure I'm following here. If you're getting the same info the NWS is, in the same time frame, then who's making your \"warning\" decision? That's basically what the NWS is supposed to do. It takes the Forecaster to make the decision to create an advisory, warning, or some similar notification product. This gets released through various routes to Public Service agencies, News Media, and who ever has subscribed for this info. It gets out with very little time lapse. What used to take minutes is now only taking seconds and in many cases, the info is redundant.

Maybe I'm not understanding the \"Why\" behind this. Are you making your own warnings and sending those out? Are you verifying the data and sending back \"ground truth\" observations? Are you testing new software that may do these things faster and more accurately?

We do our own forecasting..We do storm surveys,and research. Our mobile lab does all the above includeing software testing. All for mobile applications. And alot of times we are in the area of the most dangours weather and flooding. We do not post warnings from the van.
Sorry for any clouds that seem to be mudding the water.

Ok.... When you say "research". Is there any official affiliation with this research? Are you "researching" stuff for a commercial organization? University? Some one has to finance all this. I have a radio station that does my financing in return for news footage and live reporting. Although I do finance quite a bit of my own for equipment, etc. Who does yours?

I would think that getting into areas that have had destruction due to weather would be somewhat difficult after the fact. Most places close the areas down to prevent gawkers, looters and the like from getting into those areas. Normally, one would need "Official" ID or permission to do that.

So far, after looking hard at your web site, I couldn't find anything on R&D, or even forcasting other than what is available to everyone. You've stated that you have $100K wrapped up in a van and equipment. That's all well and good, but I don't see any of that on your web site. Any research organizations I've ever dealt with or heard of, post regular updates on what they are doing and when they are doing it. They also post anything that might be considered noteworthy. This is especially true of organizations that are in the service of safety.

Can you explain some of your "research" and what it is designed to accomplish? What organizations you might be working with? What theories you've come up with and and how you plan to prove or debunk them?

Ok.... When you say "research". Is there any official affiliation with this research? Are you "researching" stuff for a commercial organization? University? Some one has to finance all this. I have a radio station that does my financing in return for news footage and live reporting. Although I do finance quite a bit of my own for equipment, etc. Who does yours?

I would think that getting into areas that have had destruction due to weather would be somewhat difficult after the fact. Most places close the areas down to prevent gawkers, looters and the like from getting into those areas. Normally, one would need "Official" ID or permission to do that.

So far, after looking hard at your web site, I couldn't find anything on R&D, or even forcasting other than what is available to everyone. You've stated that you have $100K wrapped up in a van and equipment. That's all well and good, but I don't see any of that on your web site. Any research organizations I've ever dealt with or heard of, post regular updates on what they are doing and when they are doing it. They also post anything that might be considered noteworthy. This is especially true of organizations that are in the service of safety.

Can you explain some of your "research" and what it is designed to accomplish? What organizations you might be working with? What theories you've come up with and and how you plan to prove or debunk them?

Yes it is private research . The web page is only a contact point. I asked and was told information is released only to the cust. They support The van and pay everyone. And yes we have direct access to storm damage areas. I do not do research just get them where they are going,so I can not help with theories one way or the other.

Yes it is private research . The web page is only a contact point. I asked and was told information is released only to the cust. They support The van and pay everyone. And yes we have direct access to storm damage areas. I do not do research just get them where they are going,so I can not help with theories one way or the other.

Still not sure I have answered the thought. Unlike a NSSL van the research depends on who is in it that day. I have set for hours while someone takes wind readings,and taken others to do flood surveys. Storm surveys when tornados are reported And many more.

Still not sure I have answered the thought. Unlike a NSSL van the research depends on who is in it that day. I have set for hours while someone takes wind readings,and taken others to do flood surveys. Storm surveys when tornados are reported And many more.

So were all do you guys go? I haven't seen ya'll out on the plains before. I don't see WV being a hotbed for severe weather research.

Nope don't get to chase on the plains.and wv is not very hott as you say. Mostly flooding due to thunderstrms. We from time to time hit VA,KY.OH,PA.
iI think you guys have it much better but for the most I get paid better. :D
I have done this for 20 years now, retirement is just around the corner. Hope to spend my time chaseing the big one on the plains then. 8)

So were all do you guys go? I haven't seen ya'll out on the plains before. I don't see WV being a hotbed for severe weather research.

Nope don't get to chase on the plains.and wv is not very hott as you say. Mostly flooding due to thunderstrms. We from time to time hit VA,KY.OH,PA.
iI think you guys have it much better but for the most I get paid better. :D
I have done this for 20 years now, retirement is just around the corner. Hope to spend my time chaseing the big one on the plains then. 8)

I guess a lot has been learned. some will take time to show me some of the things they learn. I know the most about the lightning project. Useing the equipment they have learned it changes freq. before tornads form and before heavy rainfall. But since not every storm has lightning no one has made a warning device for it. I have been there when it warns for hail, and tornados and it is a verified event. I had hoped they would be ready to try it on the plains before retir. but I am loseing hope. Well my dat is done here. I am going home to the little woman// :)

I guess a lot has been learned. some will take time to show me some of the things they learn. I know the most about the lightning project. Useing the equipment they have learned it changes freq. before tornads form and before heavy rainfall. But since not every storm has lightning no one has made a warning device for it. I have been there when it warns for hail, and tornados and it is a verified event. I had hoped they would be ready to try it on the plains before retir. but I am loseing hope. Well my dat is done here. I am going home to the little woman// :)

Hmmm . . . I'll get straight to the point and not beat around the bush. I'm quite curious as to what the decals on the rear quarter-panels say - National Severe Storms Laboratory?? I would certainly hope not if you're not funded by or working for NSSL.

Also, who supports this van and pays everyone? What firm or organization is this that's supporting this "research?" I'm not familiar with any of this work that's been ongoing for 20 years now, but perhaps I'm just horribly misinformed.

Jason

Hmmm . . . I'll get straight to the point and not beat around the bush. I'm quite curious as to what the decals on the rear quarter-panels say - National Severe Storms Laboratory?? I would certainly hope not if you're not funded by or working for NSSL.

Also, who supports this van and pays everyone? What firm or organization is this that's supporting this "research?" I'm not familiar with any of this work that's been ongoing for 20 years now, but perhaps I'm just horribly misinformed.

Jason

Back