Chase vehicle...what's yours for 2005?

Ya know, NONE of these vehicles can hold a candle to the heroic chasemobiles of old. Famouns cars: "Roachmobile," "Meatwagon," and others shall go down in history as the greatest chase vehicles of all time! :)

-Greg

I've been using my '01 Monte Carlo SS for the past two seasons. It's fairly comfortable and gets awesome gas mileage (28 + mpg)! However, the traction control doesn't fair well when it comes to muddy back roads. Since my wife's van is about "done", and she has expressed interest in taking the Monte, she'll be taking it and I'm trading her van in for a new diesel truck. Granted, a little pricey, but, it makes for an excellent investment as it'll go well into the six figure mileage range (400k +), and should get 20 + mpg after a few mods. I use Whelen Dual Talon amber LED dash / deck lights. They're clear when off, but are very bright when on, and take very little power. I'll be adding a traffic director as well. 911EP makes a nice one, an LED unit. Very low profile, very effective though.

I've been using my '01 Monte Carlo SS for the past two seasons. It's fairly comfortable and gets awesome gas mileage (28 + mpg)! However, the traction control doesn't fair well when it comes to muddy back roads. Since my wife's van is about "done", and she has expressed interest in taking the Monte, she'll be taking it and I'm trading her van in for a new diesel truck. Granted, a little pricey, but, it makes for an excellent investment as it'll go well into the six figure mileage range (400k +), and should get 20 + mpg after a few mods. I use Whelen Dual Talon amber LED dash / deck lights. They're clear when off, but are very bright when on, and take very little power. I'll be adding a traffic director as well. 911EP makes a nice one, an LED unit. Very low profile, very effective though.

Neat little truck. Normal operations include 4 laptops. One up fnt that is used for nav. and live internet. One in the back for live internet weatherstation information,and operate the sat tracking software. The other two laptops run software for the two lightning detectors. One det. mon. only cloud to ground strikes, The other all forms of lightning. The project called "ARCLIGHT" studies the theory that lightning changes feq. before tornados or severe events. I am so far inclined to agree. The hope being to be able to use this information to alert to this type of weather. Downside is that not all storms seem to have this lightning effect.
This is only th 4th year with 6 to go.
Radios include Local,State,Federal OES. CB just for fun,Several scanners.
A ham operator most of the time with their own equipment. Cell phones from one to several depending on the day.
Lightning includes red night vision lightning,grund effect lighting so we are less likely to fall while not looking at our feet but at mother nature.Enough yellow lights to keep others from running over us "we hope".

2 Different Sat. links one to and from base,the other for tv and internet.
Cam's include cctv for and aft
Color 8mm
IR 8mm
Dig. still

Printers,scanners and the like for the computers and fax are added as needed. Will post som pix later..

Neat little truck. Normal operations include 4 laptops. One up fnt that is used for nav. and live internet. One in the back for live internet weatherstation information,and operate the sat tracking software. The other two laptops run software for the two lightning detectors. One det. mon. only cloud to ground strikes, The other all forms of lightning. The project called "ARCLIGHT" studies the theory that lightning changes feq. before tornados or severe events. I am so far inclined to agree. The hope being to be able to use this information to alert to this type of weather. Downside is that not all storms seem to have this lightning effect.
This is only th 4th year with 6 to go.
Radios include Local,State,Federal OES. CB just for fun,Several scanners.
A ham operator most of the time with their own equipment. Cell phones from one to several depending on the day.
Lightning includes red night vision lightning,grund effect lighting so we are less likely to fall while not looking at our feet but at mother nature.Enough yellow lights to keep others from running over us "we hope".

2 Different Sat. links one to and from base,the other for tv and internet.
Cam's include cctv for and aft
Color 8mm
IR 8mm
Dig. still

Printers,scanners and the like for the computers and fax are added as needed. Will post som pix later..

The other all forms of lightning. The project called \"ARCLIGHT\" studies the theory that lightning changes feq. before tornados or severe events. I am so far inclined to agree. The hope being to be able to use this information to alert to this type of weather. Downside is that not all storms seem to have this lightning effect.
Tom, Sound like an interesting theory. Where can I get more information and read some of your research papers? I looked on your website and couldn't find anything referencing "ARCLIGHT".

Thanks

The other all forms of lightning. The project called \"ARCLIGHT\" studies the theory that lightning changes feq. before tornados or severe events. I am so far inclined to agree. The hope being to be able to use this information to alert to this type of weather. Downside is that not all storms seem to have this lightning effect.
Tom, Sound like an interesting theory. Where can I get more information and read some of your research papers? I looked on your website and couldn't find anything referencing "ARCLIGHT".

Thanks

Yes,I took the Arclight link off the web-site. Not much Information to pass on. Lightning detectors that use this type of info are sold by stormwise.com . Boltek systems show you where the lightning is fvrom you. But the stormwise system gives range and will tell you if the storm is severe,dropping hail,or even a tornado. Also a system call thor is sold to warn of lightning. But not a storm chaser item I think. I am sitting in the lab replying to this messaqge. mY WIFE and chase partner took pix of the inside and I will post them maybe later today.

As far as I know no papers have been done on this research yet. That is not my job, I do only the operations Part.

Yes,I took the Arclight link off the web-site. Not much Information to pass on. Lightning detectors that use this type of info are sold by stormwise.com . Boltek systems show you where the lightning is fvrom you. But the stormwise system gives range and will tell you if the storm is severe,dropping hail,or even a tornado. Also a system call thor is sold to warn of lightning. But not a storm chaser item I think. I am sitting in the lab replying to this messaqge. mY WIFE and chase partner took pix of the inside and I will post them maybe later today.

As far as I know no papers have been done on this research yet. That is not my job, I do only the operations Part.

Originally posted by Graham Butler
I will be using my 2000 Tahoe for its second year but this year it has some different bumpers. This is thanks to a highschool kid hitting me and pushing me into the truck infront of me.

e6750e6c17cd627de7c0e3b86647240f.jpg
ae43afabca4941b560573039ca70a4a7.jpg
979f32f098bfded9a655c5fa37c0086f.jpg

Nothing like a chase vehicle that was put togeather properly and everything is where you need it. DavidD showed his electrical knowledge and spent countless hours the week before last years chase season.

More pics at http://www.darkskyproductions.com/misc/tahoe/

-Graham Butler

:drool: mmmm... bumpers.....

Originally posted by Graham Butler
I will be using my 2000 Tahoe for its second year but this year it has some different bumpers. This is thanks to a highschool kid hitting me and pushing me into the truck infront of me.

e6750e6c17cd627de7c0e3b86647240f.jpg
ae43afabca4941b560573039ca70a4a7.jpg
979f32f098bfded9a655c5fa37c0086f.jpg

Nothing like a chase vehicle that was put togeather properly and everything is where you need it. DavidD showed his electrical knowledge and spent countless hours the week before last years chase season.

More pics at http://www.darkskyproductions.com/misc/tahoe/

-Graham Butler

:drool: mmmm... bumpers.....

Just my trusty Saturn ION. Nothing fancy...What's not in the picture is the laptop on the seat, the GPS in the back window, and a couple radio amplifiers depending on how much 'punch' I need for reporting.

Of course..I dont go plains chasing...wife wont let me :) Something about two small kids, me not being "good enough" and her not wanting me to be the second chaser victim.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.allisonhouse.com/ham/car_sm.jpg

Big Version: http://www.allisonhouse.com/ham/car_big.jpg

Just my trusty Saturn ION. Nothing fancy...What's not in the picture is the laptop on the seat, the GPS in the back window, and a couple radio amplifiers depending on how much 'punch' I need for reporting.

Of course..I dont go plains chasing...wife wont let me :) Something about two small kids, me not being "good enough" and her not wanting me to be the second chaser victim.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.allisonhouse.com/ham/car_sm.jpg

Big Version: http://www.allisonhouse.com/ham/car_big.jpg

Back