Chase vehicle...what's yours for 2005?

Since Jay hasn't answered anyone's questions yet, I'll help him out. I am his chase partner and the primary driver of the Explorer during chase season. Like David said, Jay is a member of the volunteer service here in Amarillo which allows him to have the red/blue lights. And on some chases, we have listened to the truckers talk on the CB about the bear headed in the oppisite direction. Cracks me up because usually I am in the front seat with my feet propped up eating cheetos on the way to target area. (I am not allowed to drive to target area....you know how men can be with their toys) Alot of people do slow down, but I usually wave and laugh along the way. Unfortunately, I am not fond of driving with the lights, but I admire Jay for his dedication to his community. I am just worried about what is going to happen to the truck this year. Last year the AC didn't work and the driver's seat broke. It was funny to try to adust the seat with his camera tripod. LOL.

Since Jay hasn't answered anyone's questions yet, I'll help him out. I am his chase partner and the primary driver of the Explorer during chase season. Like David said, Jay is a member of the volunteer service here in Amarillo which allows him to have the red/blue lights. And on some chases, we have listened to the truckers talk on the CB about the bear headed in the oppisite direction. Cracks me up because usually I am in the front seat with my feet propped up eating cheetos on the way to target area. (I am not allowed to drive to target area....you know how men can be with their toys) Alot of people do slow down, but I usually wave and laugh along the way. Unfortunately, I am not fond of driving with the lights, but I admire Jay for his dedication to his community. I am just worried about what is going to happen to the truck this year. Last year the AC didn't work and the driver's seat broke. It was funny to try to adust the seat with his camera tripod. LOL.

The seat was only broken for 1 day and was replaced soon as we could get back to Amarillo but had to use my tripod to hold up the back all the way from Kansas. As for the A/C. I think I replaced everything but the on switch :lol: It was in the shop 4 times over 10 days before they got it right but when the truck is 10 yrs old and has 170,000 that happens but all is good to go now (if Kanani doesnt drive down dirt roads sideways at 70 :shock: ya I'm talking about Kansas girl :wink: ). almost wet myself that day.

As for the lights.. Like Kanani and David said I am part of AES which part of the DEM so yes they are legal. . We are trained first responders that work wrecks, fires, hazmat etc.. and are also the primary spotters for the city. Yes people mistake me for a cop and slow down which is funny. Actually I have less problems with law enforcement since I am part of the "brotherhood". No tickets just a friendly wave!!

What do you veiw on the SANTECA monitor?

That is a t.v monitor. I use it to catch local stations wx cut ins and radars. Sometimes its easier than trying to dial in or find a wifi spot. It is hooked to a dual phased antenna system (MegaElite) which greatly increases reception.

Jay, do the lights serve a chase related purpose?

-Greg

I'll butt in and speak for Jay since we seem to end up chasing together pretty regular lately. He works with the Amarillo Emergency Service....

OK. Hope I didn't sound critical, I'm just curious.
How about the amber bars that seem so popular? I've seen quite a few chase vehicles so equipped, so I figure there must be some chaser-specific use for the yellow "disco" lights.

-Greg

OK. Hope I didn't sound critical, I'm just curious.
How about the amber bars that seem so popular? I've seen quite a few chase vehicles so equipped, so I figure there must be some chaser-specific use for the yellow "disco" lights.

-Greg

No worries Greg. It just seems every time the subject of ANY lights on a chase vehicle is brought up, there are always a few strong opponents to even amber lights, and I could just see something coming with Jay's red and blues.

I personally run ambers. Rotators in low visibility and dangerous storm situations, rear flashers when parked near a busy road. It's a safety thing for me, others don't see the need, and that's ok too.

Last year on 5/29 we saw a black humvee chaser vehicle that had quiet a few red/blues running while chasing. I am almost positive it was not any sort of emergency vehicle, and dang sure looked like a chaser vehicle. Also saw one vehicle that we recognized as native to the Austin TX area that was running wigwags, and those most definitely are illegal in TX.

IMO, ambers are ok, and can serve a safety function, as well as possibly alerting motorists that are otherwise unaware that "hey, all these chasers around, this must be a bad storm". If it gets them to slow down in bad weather, all the better. Anything beyond ambers isn't needed and in most cases is illegal.

I'm going to be getting an amber traffic director for this spring. The biggest decision to get this was because so many people have stopped and asked if I needed help, or what I was doing. It’s nice to know there are caring people in Illinois, but sometimes it can be too much. Hopefully the traffic director will cut down on people stopping AND provide me with more safety while stopped. I am also a volunteer firefighter, which is the other reason I am getting it. My vehicle is equipped with wig-wags and blue lights, but I only use them in a true emergency situation. Chasing is not a true emergency. All of my lights are interior, so I rarely have problems with passing cars slowing down. For me, amber lights are dual purpose.

Seeing where this thread is taking a different turn, I figure I'll chime in as well. Yes, I have both Amber strobes in the rear of the vehicle as well as a small amber light bar on the roof.

These serve a few purposes. Safety being number one. Since I also chase and report at night, there's an added measure. I've been asked a few times to help provide traffic control at accident scenes. Since we use the vehicle occasionally at advertising remotes, it also grabs some attention to passers-by during those advertising deals.

Just as Brademel does, I used to get lots of folks stopping to see if everthing was OK. Of course they would usually stop by right in the middle of a live radio report. Now I get a few folks following me, figuring I know where to go... Like David, I use the strobes in the rear window more often and the overheads occasionally. Since I'm affiliated with a station, it's a little easier to justify it.

Didnt mean to have my truck hijack this thread :shock:

Lets get back to posting chase vehicles and if anybody wants to talk about lights we can resurrect the thread that has covered lights from last year or start a new one

There is not much of a change in my car this year, compared to last year, with the exception of a few additions:

- Icom IC-V8000 2m Transmitter (gotta hook the thing up to the car battery...it's a challenge for those who are electronically illerate and cannot find a path to get the wires from the cabin to the hood area)
- Jotto Desk
- XM Radio remounted after no XM since June :D (did that today!)

And new Antennas!

- 2m Ham Radio Transmission Antenna
- External Roof Mount PCS Antenna (For T-Mobile Wireless Data Coverage)
- Mobile TV Antenna (I don't have one of those yet)
- Along with the existing weather-radio and scanner magnet mount antennas

I'll get some pictures up in February when I get the car done, and get the income tax check I have been looking forward to for a long time now!

[Broken External Image]:http://members.cox.net/geonerd/KMP.jpg

Giant Feline Spotted in Kansas

Has the mystery of the tornado's low roar been solved?

Rumors of a Giant Mystery Cat have now been confirmed. A farmer near Liberal took this picture when the cat had eaten one too many chase vehicles.

We now know what attracts Big Kitty. He has a particular fondness for overhead lamps, especially red, white and blue (the red ones taste like cherry). Flashing chaser lamps can cause a pounce in the night!

Chasers who look like cops should know...he is not even afraid of Dorothy's little dog.

Lightbar people...had to pick on ya a little :)

No worries, Susan!

My new chase vehicle will be im-mune to ANY giant fuzbombs that may attack.

Ford is proud to introduce the the M577 APC, the ultimate hazardous environment vehicle.
"New for 2006, this Uber-SUV is targeted at the 'affluent arenaline junky' demographic: Lightning photographers, tsunami surfers, storm chasers...."

With this baby, you don't need lightbars!

[Broken External Image]:http://members.cox.net/geonerd/apc09.jpg

9460b8c668684fe4f313a707f766947b.jpg

00afacd7fa92407b838780590b68588d.jpg

fe9817ef28bbc5072531ad87a607c18c.jpg

The jeep has been with me for just about two years, and has seen limited action. It has seen limited action because I was stuck in Michigan :? Now that I've returned to the land of Toto it's on :wink:

Speaking of dogs, mine had to sneak in and pose for the picture. Crummy pictures, but the natural lights isn't so good with a low cloud deck.

Pretty basic setup. I've got a dual-band Kenwood 700 and a CB that are constants in there. Yes, there are three antennas on there, but they're not just for looks. The dual-band antenna on top is a Diamond on a mag-mount. It is easily moved to accomodate a cargo basket or kayak racks that frequent the roof when we travel and during the summer. The two antennas glass-mounted on the rear of the driver's side are cheapo Radio Shack models for the CB and sometimes-installed scanner. I'm not crazy about the glass-mounts, but as I said, there is frequently "stuff" being strapped on top for our little adventures.

Inside you can (barely) see the dual-band's face mounted just in front of the shifter. What a space saver!! I put the camera and windshield mount in there just so you can see what the setup would be on chase days. Occasionally a computer finds it's way in there, but not very often, and usually resides on the passenger seat (or my wife's lap if she's along).

Like I said, pretty basic.

Tim

Back