Chase Case #15

Wow. I'm really way out there on the map. After looking at the new data, I'm going to drive on to near Tulsa and wait a bit to see whats going on. Being from TN, I'm still trying to get a handle on the dynamics in the Great Plains. I really don't quite have a handle on the Tennessee Valley yet, but based on what I've seen out here I'm still interested in the area around the TX-LA-AR-OK borders. But I'm doubting myself enough to go a bit north and wait things out a bit. So I'll park in Coweta, OK for now so that I have good access to go in any direction.

Will start the day in Salina, KS. Cool morning temps lead me to believe this is a fall/early spring chase. In any case, great directional shear, ample moisture... looks like a good day.

Ok City could be a right spot, but since I don't see a clear sign on the surface map to make me orientate toward an accurate target, I will go to Wichita to stay in the middle of the action and I will decide with 18Z data.

Chase Map is up to date to this point. Those of you who have a longer than 3 hr drive have been placed reasonably along the most favorable route (or at least the one Google Maps gives). 32 on board so far. Hopefully we'll have a few more by beginning of next week. 15z update will be posted tomorrow and 18z Friday. I like to go a little slower so late starters can get in on it.

As for a live chase, I can't do it over the weekend due to obligations, so I'm thinking Tuesday, Jan 3rd evening (Wednesday morning if you are east of Prime Meridian) beginning at 0z Wednesday (6pm Tuesday CST, 7pm Tuesday EST, etc.) This would be early for PST/MST time zone participants at 4pm/5pm respectively. And it would be rather late for Tarmo in Estonia. An alternative would be to do it rather late for EST time zone, say 4z/11pm EST/10pm CST/9pm MST/8pm PST/6am Estonia? I hope I have that right. Let me know what you guys think. In the mean time, I'll decide if I can collect enough maps/updates to even do it. Anyone who can't participate live could still read through the updates w/o looking at the results to see how they would do.

I'm currently seeing no reason to leave McPherson, KS, so I'll stay here at the moment and have a good breakfast. I'm not as optimistic that the dews will come as far north as what SPC is predicting but I'm in a good spot to move elsewhere if I see something developing. Will eagerly await the 15Z update!

As for a live chase, I can't do it over the weekend due to obligations, so I'm thinking Tuesday, Jan 3rd evening (Wednesday morning if you are east of Prime Meridian) beginning at 0z Wednesday (6pm Tuesday CST, 7pm Tuesday EST, etc.)

LOL, you mean Feb 3rd?? Just kidding, I don't know just my opinion but how many people actually did the live chase last time? I think its better to just give the supplemental updates here and there and let people do this on their own time.

An alternative would be to do it rather late for EST time zone, say 4z/11pm EST/10pm CST/9pm MST/8pm PST/6am Estonia? I hope I have that right. Let me know what you guys think. In the mean time, I'll decide if I can collect enough maps/updates to even do it. Anyone who can't participate live could still read through the updates w/o looking at the results to see how they would do.
Fine for me - my wake-up time on weekdays is at 3:45Z.

Back