Chase Case #15

The map is up to date except for the last couple of posts. If you still want to add yourself and control it yourself, you may add a waypoint. I'll delete the old one I created. Have fun...and by all means BE SAFE, LOL.

I don't like the clouds, but ... I'm feeling a little Great Bend, KS action.

I stayed put in Wichita last night and slept in my own bed after chewing over the pre-chase data. After looking at the 12Z data I think I will stay put in Wichita, KS for at least a few more hours. I got up to look at the new model data at 12Z and will go back to bed for a few hours. This could be a long night and I typically chase well into the night in real life cases, so a few more hours of sleep with do me good!

I will spend the night in Hays, Kansas.

Edit: I just realized the 12Z data was already posted. Based on this data, I will go ahead and stay in Hays until further updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
WELL, I THOUGHT I RECOGNIZED THE DATE, BUT AFTER SOME REVIEW, I REALIZE I DID NOT RECOGNIZE THE DATE. I DON'T LIKE THE SURFACE TEMPS, AND CLOUD COVER, WHICH LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THAT WHATEVER IS COMING DOWN THE PIPELINE HAS A TON OF VORTICITY AND VERTICAL SHEAR. PART OF ME WOULD LIKE TO HANG IN OKC AND CHANCE IT, BUT MY INSTINCT TELLS ME TO HEAD A BIT FURTHER NORTH. I KNOW HOW THESE CONVECTIVE OUTLOOKS CAN THROW THOSE HATED CURVE BALLS. I BELIEVE I WILL CONTINUE TO GO OVER THE 12Z DATA AND HEAD NORTH TO WICHITA. I SHOULD BE IN WICHITA BY 15Z, AND IF THE DATA DOESN'T CHANGE I WILL CONTINUE ON AND BE IN HAYS BY 18Z TO SET UP SHOP. I-70 IS GREAT TO TRAVERSE THE STATE OF KANSAS ON I-70 AND I HAVE ALOT OF OPTIONS GOING NORTH OR SOUTH. I MAY EVEN CHEAT FURTHER WEST DEPENDING ON THE 18Z DATA. FOR NOW, JUST COUNT ON ME BEING IN WICHITA FOR THE 15Z UPDATE. . .

I also like the wind profiles in NE KS and SE NE better than where I am here in Wichita, KS...however, I am going to stay where the better moisture is at and watch surface obs to see how far north it can get...if the moisture continues to ride northward....I am headed to NE KS or SE NE.....however, like Matt said we are in a good spot to get in any direction pretty quick with the interstate network in KS.....waiting on the next update!

Zzzzzz.... *Alarm goes off in Big Spring*.... Check 12Z data. WTH are they talking about a raging LLJ? The surface low is still down in southwest Texas, with moisture return still south of me. Wake me up at 15Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Looks like a NW Kansas/SW Nebraska type of event, rather similar to #14 in that I expect lee cyclogenesis in the wake of the departing 850mb ridge, while that subtle 500mb jet max should be impinging on the area come initiation time. I'll start off in Goodland, Kansas for this one.

I am going to rise and shine on this chase from Altus OK...lots of LL shear to my west and southwest ...with likely some good CAPEs by afternoon I would expect the sfc low redeveloping somehwere in the Colorado or W.Kansas High Plains. This would swing the return flow strongly towards the TX Panhandle or South Plains...and then eventually into Oklahoma.

Based on 12z update: liking the DDC sounding and expect that airmass to advect north to around the Hill City area. Clearing from west to east of the morning cloud layer should make the area west a better target. Moving from Pratt to Oakley, KS

I will start from home in the DFW Metroplex. That will put Childress to OKC in range based on the next update.

Based on Pre-chase data, I would place myself in the good ole town of Miami, OK. Of course, I'm really just going there to eat at Waylan's Hamburgers the Cookoo. They're located on Route 66. I think I might also check out the town of Pitcher, OK, just a few miles north east of Miami to see if there is any damage left from the tornado that took the town out in 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back