Chase Case #1

No longer second guessing myself for crossing the Kansas border but I am afraid that I will only be playing catch up if I chase the cell near El Dorado. I am going to proceed east a bit and monitor this southern most cell that just fired. Hoping it shows signs of strengthening soon or else I will be forced to give chase to the north. That should put me somewhere around Winfield, KS.

Danny, could we have 22Z or 23Z surface obs? Haven't seen any for a couple hours worth of the case here. Thanks!

1cplainssfc.jpg

I posted 2130ishZ obs yesterday in an edited post in my 21-22 update, not sure if you caught that so I posted the 2130Z obs again the next obs I have are for 2315Z. I know of a site to get 22Z if that is what you want.... give me a minute and I will post it.

ALL:

22zobs.jpg

Actually, the previous surface obs you posted were from the 20Z-21Z update so they could have been up to 3 hours old at the latest. I rely on surface data heavily while chasing. :) Sorry if I seem uptight about it! It would also be good to know the exact time of the observations, compared with the radar and satellite images if possible since the updates are only reported in ranges. It makes it kind of ambiguous.

2000z-2100z UPDATE:
1cplainssfc.jpg

1splainssfc.jpg

Hopefully I'm not seeing garbage on radar in the middle of this cu field, but I'm heading north out of Hebron, NE to York, NE. Was very close to pulling the trigger and heading east-southeast, but I'm going to stick with my initial target area.

With current surface data, I would not have made this decision as the surface wind fields, which I hoped would back with the approaching system, did not.

I will assume that I saw the surface obs at 22Z (unless anyone has any objections) and will leave Hebron and head southeast. I can be in Seneca, Kansas easily by 0Z.

I apologize. I got my times confused. The next chase case I do I plan on using obs for every hour and utilizing two sites for that information so rest assured you will not be without them again!

I apologize. I got my times confused. The next chase case I do I plan on using obs for every hour and utilizing two sites for that information so rest assured you will not be without them again!

Thanks Danny. I appreciate the hard work you've put into this. I hope I didn't come off as rude.

Looks like the lead tornadic cell I was pacing crossed the river SW of Oregon, MO, at about 5PM. Assuming damage path and flooded roads would block attempts to move up to Falls City, NE, I'll head to Joseph City, cross there and head north on I-25. Hopefully reaching Mound City, MO by 6PM. Probably get stopped by a road block, but if not, keep heading north to intercept whatever else I can catch in the supercell train.

Dropped south into Andrew County, MO and am on the tornado warned storm...working out road options now to head east...I am out as I think I know the date as well...Thanks Danny for the chase case!

I wanted to target the storms to the north but since I screwed up and tried to pass on a hill against a double yellow I have to stay 75 miles to the south of Josh Worman and V2. So I am still sitting in northcentral Oklahoma.

I am on the storms in NE KS crossing into MO. Will they give me a tube? I dunno, but based on my original target and where the storms went up there is no way I would not be on them.

Back