Anyone chasing this beast?

These are all responsible adults who read and speak english. They have gotten the warning and made their own decision.

What bothers me is when these people come crying for help because they got in over their heads.

Edit: Oops posted in the wrong forum...should be in Hurricane Party!

Originally posted by SteveCarter
It's seems like there aren't to many tubes right when a hurrican makes landfall, but I really never thought about \"why\". You certainly don't need supercells to get hurricane initiated tornadoes. We had several tornadoes in this are last September, (6 or 7) within 50 miles of here, from a hurricane, and there wasn't the first sc in the area. In fact, most of the tubes were not even detected on radar, which was new to me, but they weren't. And they seem to form in a blink of an eye, and dissipate just as quick. The upper air is SO unstable, and the wind gradients seem to fluctuate from county to county. Weird setup, and VERY difficult to chase or photograph. All of them were rain-wrapped as well.

Most of the storms that produce tornadoes associated with hurricanes are low-topped ("mini") supercells, which occur on the outter rain bands of the hurricane, and this is where vertical shear profiles will often be sufficiant for supercells.

Also, many tornadoes associated with these storms are hard to detect on radar, therefore many of them are unwarned for.

All I can say is this...even with the years of experience that I have, I will not even think about attempting to intercept this storm. Having lived in the New Orleans metro area, and seeing the big floods from just storm systems...no way. This storm is a killer.

And remember...I did intercept Andrew and Hugo...so the fact that I won't even consider going to this storm should tell you something.

If I had decided to chase this (I almost did) and was in New Orleans now, I would be leaving the city by now and setting up at least 10 to 20 miles inland. Tall buildings are going to fall, parking garages will not be safe. You won't be able to shoot any video because you'll be lying on the ground trying to survive. That and the unthinkable aftermath does not sound worthwhile from any concievable chasing perspective.

Dan - my parents 50th wedding anniversary today in england prevented me from leaving London yesterday on route to intercept.

I would have set up on the I10 and taken things from there.

Originally posted by Andrew Khan
What about if your in a car, a big car. Then you should be safe, right?

If, by safe, you mean 'at risk of serious injury or death' then yes. (assuming the vehicle in question is unsheltered and in a vulnerable area near the eyewall of Katrina)

Folks need to realize that while plain-jane winds of 150mph may not rip apart building, put a large branch or sign in that 150mph and have THAT hit the building and you're talking about a different level damage. Branches, etc ,at 150mph can do more significant damage that 150mph winds w/o debris can do...

Can your car blow away even?
It's gonna depend on the vehicle itself, too.

A high-profile vehicle is gonna blow over much easily than a lower-profile vehicles (for instance, a Mustang). As for things such as large trucks (semi's, etc) it wouldn't take much of a gust at all to completely blow one over (>80MPH).

Can your car blow away even?
Well it might get tipped over. It is not some much the car being blown over, it is all the stuff flying in the air that will go right through the glass. If the water rises high enough and fast enough then your car cloud be sweeped away.

I've seen semi's blown over in gusts a bit over 60mph. LOL! A car out in this....makes me laugh. You get storm surge at a minimum of 24 feet at low tide and possibly 30 feet or higher. Put waves on top of that of anywhere from 5 to 20 feet and maybe higher. Anything anywhere near New Orleans or Slidell (6 feet above sea level) will be way under water for awhile. Throw in some debris and you have all sorts of choices for how to die. :eek:

Originally posted by Ben Cotton+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ben Cotton)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Bill Tabor
I believe this hurricane appears posed to give all the experienced hurricane chasers the biggest run for the money of their lives.
Change that to "I believe this hurricane appears posed to give all the experienced hurricane chasers the biggest run for their lives." and you've got it nailed.[/b]

Agreed, going after this one is the ultimate in hubris, especially for those foolish enough to place themselves in New Orleans. I don't care what video you get, if you get out alive, buy a few lottery tickets.

Back