Anyone chasing this beast?

Anonymous

If anyone is chasing this beast, please be careful. Don't risk your life. It's easy to outrun a nader on the plains, but this is just an incredible storm. Take care guys.

Originally posted by Anonymous
If anyone is chasing this beast, please be careful. Don't risk your life. It's easy to outrun a nader on the plains, but this is just an incredible storm. Take care guys.

Well, I know for sure Doug Kiesling (BNVN) is in New Orleans... Not sure if Jeff Gammons is - and I'm pretty sure there are a few others down there as well. It's definitely gonna be a pretty hard hurricane to videograph...

Nick, why would this be hard to videotape? I'm sure if you got far enough away, then perhaps you would be able to get some structure.

Does anyone have the capability to put together a map of where all the Stormtrack members are chasing? Maybe where some of the big news correspondants are too.

No doubt another fistful of dollars for Doug if he manages to pull off the New Orleans catastrophe. However this may prove perilous. Guess we'll stay tuned and see what really happens.

Nick, why would this be hard to videotape? I'm sure if you got far enough away, then perhaps you would be able to get some structure.

This hurricane could very well be a major Cat. 5 by landfall, with sustained winds of 175MPH and frequent gusts to >200MPH. Therefore, trying to position yourself anywhere near this thing will be extremely dangerous, much less trying to videograph it and stay alive.

BTW Simon Brewer (stormgasm.com) is out there for sure (just read that).

When this monster passes, I hope the various members who are chasing Katrina check in so we know they are allright.

Dave Lewison and Scott McPartland are heading toward the Slidell area but they haven't decided on a specific target. Jim Leonard also is in route and should arrive late tonnight.

Bill Hark

Originally posted by Bill Tabor
No doubt another fistful of dollars for Doug if he manages to pull off the New Orleans catastrophe. However this may prove perilous. Guess we'll stay tuned and see what really happens.

I was supposed to help him in this chase much like dennis.... but you wont catch me in New Orleans...

Originally posted by Bill Hark
When this monster passes, I hope the various members who are chasing Katrina check in so we know they are allright.

An official roll call thread is a great idea. possibly give out a number to text message and then someone can post up.

I believe this hurricane appears posed to give all the experienced hurricane chasers the biggest run for the money of their lives.

Originally posted by Blake Michaleski+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blake Michaleski)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Bill Hark

An official roll call thread is a great idea. possibly give out a number to text message and then someone can post up.[/b]

It would be cool if some of these folks could give live updates even if in short texts posts. Not sure how it would get out though. Cable modems such as in a hotel may be up for awhile. Cell towers may be down, and regular telephone lines will probably be down. Possibly a satellite phone but you may have to be outside to point the antenna and rain fade may kill any hope of communicating during the heat of the storm.

Originally posted by Bill Tabor
I believe this hurricane appears posed to give all the experienced hurricane chasers the biggest run for the money of their lives.
Change that to "I believe this hurricane appears posed to give all the experienced hurricane chasers the biggest run for their lives." and you've got it nailed.

Structure shots? I'm sorry, and don't mean to be rude, but this thing reaches from Cuba to LA. How far away would you need to be? I think rather than capturing video, chasers may be in survival mode.

Back