Anyone chasing this beast?

Originally posted by Andrew Khan
It's the lowest pressure AT 902 MB, is that what your saying? If it is extremely dangerous, I wouldn't go near it. Well......actually I might.

902mb isn't the LOWEST pressure every recorded, but it's near the top of the list. Gilbert got to 888mb, and the Labor Day 1935 storm got to 892mb I believe. So, if I'm not mistaken, this may be the 3rd lowest pressure ever recorded in the Atlantic.

I've felt 133mph on Mount Washington, confirmed too no guesses on that one. It was exciting, but I was safe. No trees or houses flying at me. Just snow, which felt like bb's.

I've also felt 100+ sustained, again in "safe" conditions with little risk of debris. It sucks the air out of your lungs and wears you out. Standing is almost impossible...the gusts really mess things up.

The low pressure I assume is making the storm stronger, eh? Hey, here in NE TN. The NWS office said this for us:

NE and SE TN, will
see very heavy rainfall and flooding highly possible. Sustained winds
of up to 20-25 MPH some wind gust 40 MPH. Their is also a high
possibility for ISOLATED TORNADOES across these regions, from monday
night into tuesday.

SteveCarter: Why do you expect to see tornado's so much? I know hurricanes gnerally bring this in, but why are you so certain?

Originally posted by B Ozanne
I've felt 133mph on Mount Washington, confirmed too no guesses on that one. It was exciting, but I was safe. No trees or houses flying at me. Just snow, which felt like bb's.

I've also felt 100+ sustained, again in \"safe\" conditions with little risk of debris. It sucks the air out of your lungs and wears you out. Standing is almost impossible...the gusts really mess things up.

Do you feel like you will blow away?

SteveCarter: Why do you expect to see tornado's so much? I know hurricanes gnerally bring this in, but why are you so certain?************************

Because I've seen this happen before. But with the DEEP intense low pressure, and of course the wind gradients, and with the instabilty ALREADY in place, with the already high dewpoints, etc, the setup is just there for this to be a giant tornado producer. Last year, we had a rash of tornadoes from Hurricane Frances? I can't remember which one it was now!! lol To many to keep straight. Anyway, we had one fatality, and several touchdowns, and the core was over 200 miles away to the west. So many variables all point to a lot of tornadoes. Maybe nothing more than an F-1 or 2, but still I think there will definately be a lot of them.

Do you feel like you will blow away?

In a word...yes. We usually have things to hang onto, but I went to change the precip can in 100+ wind once and failed miserably. Wind was gusting to 120+, I fell down and just kept sliding on the snow. I finally stopped on some rocks, caught my breath, and crawled back inside to an amused observer watching my antics.

Now, to relate this to hurricanes...this wind was at 6000 feet (<800mb) and below freezing. The force of the wind at sea level with a thicker atmosphere and warm and moist (ie denser) air it feels a lot stronger.

The low pressure I assume is making the storm stronger, eh? Hey, here in NE TN. The NWS office said this for us:

NE and SE TN, will
see very heavy rainfall and flooding highly possible. Sustained winds
of up to 20-25 MPH some wind gust 40 MPH. Their is also a high
possibility for ISOLATED TORNADOES across these regions, from monday
night into tuesday.

SteveCarter: Why do you expect to see tornado's so much? I know hurricanes gnerally bring this in, but why are you so certain?

It appears that a few tornadoes are quite likely through mid-week from Katrina. As for TN, I would have to say TUE would be the best bet for tornadoes... It's too early to tell how significant the threat will be, and where to exactly pinpoint it, but as with most major hurricanes - tornadoes / supercells should be associated with it.

After reading so many of these posts, I'm about to trash my OWN advice, and go!! I can't stand being within 6 hours of there, and know the area, and not go!! Someone needs to tie me down! So.....any of you actually going? And if you ARE, WHERE are you going to? I hear there is gridlock in N.O. and Mobile Bay - not good. This is going to be catastrophic. I really wish it would go down to a cat 4.

Mr. Snyder is right ... the lowest pressure to be recorded in the western hemisphere was Hurricane Gilbert (888 mb, 185 mph sustained with gusts of 200 prior to hitting the Yucatan) followed by the 1935 FL Keys which was 892 mb

According to NHC, Camille came in at 909 mb making HK the third lowest pressure to be recorded in the Western Hemisphere at 902 mb

Congrats ... you just witnessed history

For more information about Gilbert, check this out ... http://www.hurricaneville.com/gilbert.html

Lowest pressure ever recorded was Typhoon Tip at 870 mb

We've just witnessed history eh? Sweet. So this is a big record I still do not know how low pressure is effecting it and what 902 Milibars are? Someone please help me understand this.

It's seems like there aren't to many tubes right when a hurrican makes landfall, but I really never thought about "why". You certainly don't need supercells to get hurricane initiated tornadoes. We had several tornadoes in this are last September, (6 or 7) within 50 miles of here, from a hurricane, and there wasn't the first sc in the area. In fact, most of the tubes were not even detected on radar, which was new to me, but they weren't. And they seem to form in a blink of an eye, and dissipate just as quick. The upper air is SO unstable, and the wind gradients seem to fluctuate from county to county. Weird setup, and VERY difficult to chase or photograph. All of them were rain-wrapped as well.

millibars are just the metric way of saying inches. The barometer is reading 26.68. I think it was 26.68. I KNOW it is 26.6 something. When the pressure is so low, it simply put, means that instabilty is very high, and that the storm is more intense. The lower the barameter, the more intense.

Thanks for the help man. When was the last time we had a Hurricane as strong as this around? With all features included? I thought I heard 1969 somwehere?

Back