Anyone chasing this beast?

Simon Brewer and Reed Timmer are chasing this beast together. I spoke to Simon this afternoon and they are in Alexandria, Louisiana heading towards the New Orleans area.

I have to admit this is the most dangerous chase either of them has ever attempted. This is truely a once in a lifetime storm, and I'd be down there but I have a full time job!

Good Luck to all chasing and please be careful!

Originally posted by Stuart Robinson
Roger Hill in Dimondhead and Jim barlet in mobile (about to relocate) - I will post updates from the field as and when.

I don't see any Dimondhead on the map in Louisianna. Keep us update though. This is cool.

It seems a bit foolish to chase this, if it's so dangerous, like everyone is saying...if chasers are in survival mode, then just don't go..

Why is this a "Once In A Lifetime Storm"? It's just a major Hurricane, and I'm very sure in the future we will see MANY more "Once In A Lifetime Storms" because MAjor hurricanes aren't that rare.

Personally I do not know how you chase something like a hurricane. I mean it's not mesoscale, but synoptic scale, so how do you chase something so big? What do you get from it. Like if you chase supercells, you have a chance to get tornadoes, but I guess people just have their reasons.

Originally posted by Andrew Khan
Why is this a \"Once In A Lifetime Storm\"? It's just a major Hurricane, and I'm very sure in the future we will see MANY more \"Once In A Lifetime Storms\" because MAjor hurricanes aren't that rare.

This is one of the lowest pressure ever recorded in the Atlantic basin! Storm DON'T get much lower than the 902mb of Katrina. 175mph sustained winds? Cat 5s are rare, and this is 20mph over the threshold. Mitch may be the closest comparison in the past decade to Katrina, and even Mitch never got below 905mb.

It ranks in the top 3 or 4 of the lowest pressure ever recorded in the tropical Atlantic. I'd call that "once in a lifetime."

No... It's not being foolish or idiotic. Most of the people chasing this storm are expierenced chasers, and know what they're doing. Infact, if I had an extra grand or two, then I would have been down there already. It's an extremely dangerous storm, but all the people that are known to be down there have chased alot...

Originally posted by nickgrillo
No... It's not being foolish or idiotic. Most of the people chasing this storm are expierenced chasers, and know what they're doing. Infact, if I had an extra grand or two, then I would have been down there already. It's an extremely dangerous storm, but all the people that are known to be down there have chased alot...

Don't worry, I would have given you a lift in my private helicopter :lol:

Originally posted by rdewey
Don't worry, I would have given you a lift in my private helicopter :lol:
I hope it's a Chinook, because I bet you could easily find fifty guys here ready to go with you!

If I wasn't on crutches right now, I'd be on my way!

Originally posted by Andrew Khan
Personally I do not know how you chase something like a hurricane. I mean it's not mesoscale, but synoptic scale, so how do you chase something so big? What do you get from it. Like if you chase supercells, you have a chance to get tornadoes, but I guess people just have their reasons.

It all depends on what you like. I chase severe thunderstorms (supercells, squall lines, everything) and love to see everything from tornadoes to large hail to destructive winds. The highest wind speed I ever felt in my entire life was about 110MPH, which lasted for a few seconds... Now, I would LOVE to be down there seeing and expierencing (and of course, videographing) Katrina's winds. Like I said, I don't chase supercells (or any storm for that matter) just for tornadoes.

It must be a Michigan thing to love destrucive winds!

We were SUPPOSE to go to Myrtle Beach today, for 4 days, but because of the forecast for possible rain there the next 4 days, we decided not to go. HOWEVER.....that leaves me with the time and money to chase Katrina. I actually then planned on leaving for rural Pearl River County, (s. of Hattiesburg), around this time. It's 3:45PM Sunday. It's only a 6-7 hour drive. This is one of the largest canes I have EVER seen, or remember. It's chaseable, but only if you have a GOOD lay of the land and area, which I do. The thing is.....it has gotten SO dangerous, I've decided to NOT go, and I am kicking myself for this descision, but I have to listen to reason. The chances for tornadoes will be awesome!! In the East - NE Quadrant - I fully expect to see tornadoes everywhere, and as far North as the Tennessee River Valley, and even east to Georgia, and the Upstate of South Carolina, into Kentucky and Virginia. In fact, local weather media here in Seneca, SC are calling for heavy rain, with "isolated" tornadoes, so we will see. But as for chasing this freak of nature? I REALLY wouldn't do it this time around. And like a LOT of you out there, you REALLY want to be a part of this, like I do, BUT....just DON'T do it.

It's the lowest pressure AT 902 MB, is that what your saying? If it is extremely dangerous, I wouldn't go near it. Well......actually I might.

Back