Anyone chasing this beast?

Fox News just said they will had Warren Faidley on the line from the storm area and would be talking to him live on the air soon.

Warren was here in Mobile last I heard but he was actually planning on going to p'cola to avoid getting trapped and so that he could remain mobile.

Conditions here in Mobile are slowly going downhill but not bad at all yet.

We are currently located between Biloxi and Gulf Port, MS just north of SR90 inland about 2 miles. The Structure were in is likely to encounter storm surge being close to the bay and Gulf but we can keep the cars up on the second level and have six floors to go up if need be. Winds are really picking up outside now and Im recording a pressure reading of 995mb attm. The power has gone out a few times and the backup system has kicked in. There are 50 other locals staying at this location and most of them are staying deep inside the building on the second floor. Were about 28 feet above sea level here and will likely see some impressive surge. This will be my last update for a while.... going to get two hours of rest before before sunrise. Best of luck to all chasing Katrina. Jeff Gammons, Chris Collura, Jim Edds (holding on)

Just talked with Dave Lewison and Scott Mcpartland who are staying in Gulfport in a parking garage. There are a number of chasers there and a local Fox news crew. They are safe and awaiting landfall.

Bill Hark

I hope all these guys in the parking garages aren't paying by the hour! :lol:

The ironic thing is that they are now reporting a slight right turn, taking the brunt of the storm east through Mississippi and Alabama. Just shows to go ya, these things are not terribly predictable.

At least they are now out of "worst case scenario" mode in NO.

Just talked to Kay Marshall -- she says Tim M and Roger Hill are all safe. They were hunkered down in a hospital parking garage in Slidell. The storm was "no cat 5" when it got there, but the rising waters were enough to keep it where ambulances could not even get in & out of the hospital! The area lost power at 5:30 am.

Damage in Slidell was not so devastating that he couldn't get out, and he's currently through BTR on way back home. He says he was satisfied with his experience. And I'm betting he'll be returning for the inevitable damage survey.

Tim

has anyone heard from Faidley?
It was really ironic that i watched his storm chaser video he put out in the mid 90s just a few weeks ago. In that video he documents his chase w/ Andrew in 92. Andrew kinda put him more or less on the storm chaser "wall of fame" if you will b/c his shots were some of the first and only shots immediately after the storm. I went to check his website recently and didnt find anything regarding the hurricane. Im hoping he puts a blog on his site or something to describe his adventure b/c i remember him mentioning how in awe he was of Andrew. Well if he was in awe of Andrew im sure curious what he thinks of Katrina.

Im sorry im just a big fan of his, I know some people on here dont like him cause he might have a bit of an ego but hes just someone i have a lot of respect for. It really isnt easy making a career soley out of storm chasing. You got to eat, breathe, and sleep it to do that.

Yes, faidley was in downtown mobile with Jim bartlet. They said the funneling of the winds between the building was insane! I've already seen Jim's video and its pretty impressive for being so far from the center.

Thanks Mr. Whitehead for standing tall and keeping a positive vibe while posting about my wife's and my dear friend (and fellow Tucsonan and chase partner for many years)...Warren Faidley. Well done, sir.
I am glad to hear that he's alive. The last emails I traded with him were on Friday nite...when he said that "yes, this storm headed for New Orleans is THE BIG ONE" and that he was blasting off later that night. I emailed him several times since then....and not unexpectedly...hadn't heard back. Now, Warren will push the envelope on a chase a little bit...but he's far from foolish. I knew he'd be saavy and drawing from past 'cane experience when choosing a site to hole up in and video. But as we all know, things can go wrong on a chase, and my little child bride and I were getting a little concerned.
Thanks for setting our minds at ease.

Fox News just said they will had Warren Faidley on the line from the storm area and would be talking to him live on the air soon.

He's doing a live interview right now on FOX News.

does anyone have that video?

If I would have been in the right mode I would have but I wasn't. I think they repeat their programming the middle of the night but of course that's over now too.

I talked to Simon Brewer this afternoon and him and Reed are safe in Jackson, Mississippi. Simon's car is under water and they have footage of the devastation in Slidell. Apparently the entire area is under at least 10 feet of water and a guy in a boat (rescue boat?) got them out of there. More info on the website.

I'm releaved they are safe now. My heart goes out to those who have loved ones in that area and those who have lost their homes.

Back