accuweather hurricane season forecast....uggggh!

Please allow me to make this point again...

There is far MORE accountability in the private sector than there is in the public sector.

The IRS ensures our patronage of the National Weather Service.

No one is forced to subscribe to a private-sector meteorological service. If enough people do not find sufficent value, the private sector weather service goes out of business (and, plenty have over the years).

This post is NOT intended to be a private sector v. NWS comment. We need both. But there have been several posts (on this and other boards) in the last month about "accountability." I can assure you there is plenty of accountability in the private sector.

Mike

Private sector - certainly.

AW - nope. Just like MS: When you're the giant even when you do wrong, people don't care.

It is easy to get people to listen to you and subscribe to your forecasts when you run around and talk about a "high risk" of a worst case scenario in highly populated areas. Furthermore most people don't know enough about the weather to see thru a comment like "it's overdue."

Private sector - certainly.

AW - nope. Just like MS: When you're the giant even when you do wrong, people don't care.
[/b]

????

I don't know how many mets AW has on staff but I would think the NWS has them beat in numbers hands down. If this is the case then using your logic, nobody cares when the NWS misses the mark. We know this is not the case. Just a couple weeks ago NWSFO MPX took some serious heat for one of its warnings in the TV and print media. NWSFO FGF took a beating when one of the 1997 flood forecasts was below the crest which inundated the city. AW is certainly taking heat right now in this forum, has in the past, and likely will in the future. Obviously both groups are being held accountable for their products. Private sector forecasting is a highly competitive endeavor. If the firm does not live up to expectations then there is significant risk that the bid will go to a competing outfit.

No doubt AW is playing the very old TV weatherman card... "Big storms are possible, tune in at 10 for the WXTV Storm Tracker Doppler 99000 weather team update". Big storms (hurricanes) are indeed possible if not probable given climo. I don't know what exact message AW wants to express with the hurricane graphic but my take is that the areas of "high" risk are defined as higher risk than average climo. If AW is reasonably close then you may never hear the end of it rom them. If AW is not even close than you folks will never let it die. Just be careful who you pick on. There may be a chance that you may work with, directly or indirectly, the folks you blast in a public forum. Burning bridges in a relatively small field is never a good idea. Tactful constructive criticism is good and quite possibly appreciated. Time to practice what I preach.

Mole watch... Any opinions above are mine only and do not reflect the opinions of my employer or co-workers.

"I don't know how many mets AW has on staff but I would think the NWS has them beat in numbers hands down."

I'm not using number of employees as the definition... "Who do people know"? I have no doubt that AccuWeather has better name recognition than NWS when it comes to forecast providers. Many TV stations just buy the AW package for the sole purpose of saying "Your AccuWeather forecast."

My point is that AW provided a HORRIBLE hurricane forecast last year, publicized it, we criticized it - yet the public (and media) didn't care at all when this year's was released. I don't think AW did this "for the public good" but to get their name plastered once again all over the TV/print.

- Rob

That's why I always use the official source, the NHC. I personally think that Joe Bastardi, is clueless, and that people need to stop thinking he is god qhen it comes to hurricanes. I am not saying that Dr. Gray is god either, but he is not as cocky as Joe B. I have completely boycotted Accuweather. Nothing is accurate about them. There should be a weather network just devoted to chasing.

That's why I always use the official source, the NHC.

There should be a weather network just devoted to chasing.
[/b]

Ok, great. You see a need ("weather network just devoted to chasing"). Now, raise the money or use your savings and take a risk to make the idea a reality. That's what private sector meteorologists do...we take the risks with our (sometimes with other investors) money to build something and make it a reality.

Now, after all the criticism of AW for making a regional-specific forecast for New England, the following quotes come from today's "Wall Street Journal"...

"William Gray, a prominent storm predictor at Colorado State University, and his colleague Phil Klotzbach, put the odds of an intense hurricane hitting the stretch of coast between New York City and Cape Cod at about 1 in 11. That stretch includes the shorelines of Long Island's two counties."

"If that were to hit today in the same area, it would rival Hurricane Andrew, if not more so, as far as damage done," says Mike Wiley, meteorologist in charge of the National Weather Service's forecasting office on Long Island. If the most forceful winds hit closer to New York City, he added, "It would surpass the damage that we just saw with Hurricane Katrina." And he adds that "statistically, we're overdue."

Hmmm. The NWS talks about Andrew-type damage in New England in the above quote and says the region is "overdue."

It is easy to get people to listen to you and subscribe to your forecasts when you run around and talk about a "high risk" of a worst case scenario in highly populated areas. Furthermore most people don't know enough about the weather to see thru a comment like "it's overdue."
[/b]

Now that Dr. Gray and NWS have make similar forecasts to AW, I'd like to see the same amount of criticism of long range, regional hurricane forecasts as earlier in the thread.

The criticism as not as much over the forecast - but the way it was played up. I don't see _any_ of the headlines that AW generated. And AW didn't say that odds were 1 in 11. I think if you review JB's forecast, the percentage is MUCH higher. And I didn't get a press release from Dr Gray.

The criticism as not as much over the forecast - but the way it was played up. I don't see _any_ of the headlines that AW generated. And AW didn't say that odds were 1 in 11. I think if you review JB's forecast, the percentage is MUCH higher. And I didn't get a press release from Dr Gray.
[/b]

The press release that Colorado State University sent to the world is available online at: http://newsinfo.colostate.edu/index.asp?pa...em_id=114210869

So CSU did exactly the same thing AW did. As of the time of this posting, Google News has 159 organizations publishing their story. I would certainly call this "playing it up."

The press release sent out by NOAA about their seasonal hurricane forecast is available online at: www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/s2634.htm . NOAA also had a press conference, the video of which is also available at their web site.

So far, 71 organizations have printed (checking Google) the headline from the NOAA press release. Again, I would call this "playing it up."

I have no problem with AW, CSU or NOAA. What is the point of making a forecast if you are not going to distribute it? And please do not tell me it is more "noble" for academia or government to make these forecasts. You don't think NOAA hopes the favorable publicity will help them get more funding from Congress? You don't think CSU hopes the publicity will help get more favorable funding from the Colorado legislature?

Of course AW hopes the publicity will help them get more business. What is the problem with that? At least they are spending their own money to gain the publicity. NOAA is spending OUR money. CSU is spending the money of the taxpayers of Colorado.

As to the differing forecasts, this happens all the time. At this moment, the NWS forecast for Russell Springs, KS is calling for "Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 1am. Partly cloudy, with a low near 56. North wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%." However, the county containing Russell Springs is under a severe thunderstorm warning calling for "DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH." Two types of forecasts, differing information.

My point is simple: No one has to like AW, NWS, WeatherData, WSI, CSU or anyone else. That is a matter of personal preference. But consider the following quotes from this thread:

I mean seriously, what value do these forecasts add to anything? To me the just serve to instill more fear into the already fearful American public. Buy, Buy, Buy your hurricane supplies and insurance policies all you good little Americans in preparation for a big bad hurricane season!
[/b]

There's little science behind Accu-Weather's forecasts. They like to use weather analogs. They are convinced that what happened in the past directly relates to what happens in the future. Which may be the case, but with only a few sample years to test their theories its a reach.

where's the accountability?
[/b]

and on and on.

My purpose is not to pick on any individual post or person. Here is my point: If we consider ourselves scientists and this is supposed to be a science-based board, then where is equal criticism regarding the self-promotion of CSU and NOAA and where is the criticism of NWS and Dr. Gray's long range forecast methods (the latter uses a form of analogs)?

Meteorology needs all three: NOAA and other federal agencies, academia and the private sector. The private sector (through its generation of tax dollars) makes possible the other two, along with every other taxpayer. We don't expect gratitude for the tax dollars we pay (it is part of doing business). It is great we (along with every other taxpayer) have access to government data and academic research. But one sector is not automatically superior to the other.

All I ask is consistency: If making a long range hurricane forecast and publicizing it is wrong for the private sector, it follows it is wrong for the other two sectors. If it is wrong for AW to say the Northeast is "overdue" it is wrong for the NWS to say it is "overdue."

Thank you for reading this long post.

Mike

Great post Mike! I guess what got me was 1) the release from AW was faxed and email to probably every TV station in America (I received several) and 2) Nowhere does AW acknowledge that their 2005 forecast was downright horrid (pretty much clearing the Gulf Coast of any major concerns in July.) NOAA and CSU did do a recap.

I think the quotes you included are anti-AW just to join the "anti-AW, anti-private sector, anti-any-bill-that-takes-anything-from-NWS" crowd. I'm not on that ship - I'm just not a big fan of AW's tactics when it comes to screaming fire every time there's something in the theater capable of creating a spark (i.e. JB's winter weather "forecasts.")

As Alberto makes landfall, I can't help but think back to this forecast and chuckle. Mother nature works out of spite.
[/b]

Chuckle at whom? Wasn't too many days ago that the TPC didn't believe the tropical low would do anything while the Canadian model pretty much nailed the formation and path most of its runs the last week. The path definately wasn't were AW thought the early season threat was but it is quite early in the season just yet to call it a bust. I'm not paying for JB's products so I don't know what he said about this storm when the TPC was holding off. In any event, goes to show that a hurricane forecast even a few days out can strike out. Gotta give credit when due though as the TPC did a pretty good job with predicted strength and path once it became apparent this storm could impact Florida.

Any opinion expressed above is mine only and may not reflect that of my employer or coworkers.

Back