accuweather hurricane season forecast....uggggh!

I gotta agree with Shane on that. I mean, it is one thing to give a legit forecast......it is another thing to throw a dart in March or April no less, about how many hurricanes there will be AND intensities. Man, I can do that and I know Jack about tropical forecasting. That is not forecasting. That is pure speculation. Just like AW. Look how far off the "Doctor" was last hurricane season. He wasn't even on the same planet.

So one bad season means "don't do it again"? He's had a very successful record, and I can't imagine how you can say "don't forecast" is better than what he provided.

Quite simply, my point is: don't issue a forecast months in advance...wait. Because it's going to be adjusted anyway, right?

Example: I say there's gonna be tornadoes on June 4-5 and 13-14. I'll adjust that on June 3 when I get the new model runs. If I was serious, everyone would be thinking "whatever" and when I adjusted it on June 3 they'd be thinking "wow, what a genius."

...who releases his "official" tropical forecast every year, then gets to update it five times as the reality of the season unfolds. Be quite easy to "forecast" accuately when you get five mulligans as things evolve.[/b]
I'd like to see folks try that with storm chase forecats. Forecast once before you hit the road, and then no more updates. :)

Obviously forecasters get to ammend/update their forecast as time progresses, however I think the application is a bit different here. Other long range meterological forecasts generally don't claim the kind of precision being displayed here, especially for something so dynamic. Obviously as the anticipated event period gets closer more details or ammendments are made. In this case there doesn't appear to be enough supporting facts for the localized predictions being made.

Their "forecast" is nothing more than pure speculation. They have no clue how many strong hurricanes there will be and where they will hit. It is like a chaser saying in January that there is going to be 4 high risks in 2006 and 9 moderate risks. The high risks will be most likely in NE Kansas and Western Oklahoma with the moderate risks in the lower plains.

They have enough trouble telling where a hurricane will hit 7 days out and at what strength let alone months before it even forms. They can make these wild guesses and if they are even partly right they will spout off about their incredible forecasting skills and if they are wrong they wont even mention their original forecast they will just amend it to fit and then brag about their skills. Anybody can do that. They did it a number of times last year.

If they are so good where was their long range forecast of multiple outbreaks in the Tennessee Valley this year and the lack of anything significant through May?? Their crystal ball ( more like magic 8 ball) must have failed them.

I wouldnt pay those chumps to tell me the time of day. they would get it wrong anyway.

I don't like AccuWx as much as the next guy, but let's try not to go overboard here. There are signals for anticipating some trends for a hurricane season, such as SST anomalies, global flow patterns (which are influence by el nino and la nina), etc. If we say that the tropics are 100% unpredictable in terms of forecasting seasonal trends, then we must apply that to all forecasting outlets. In other words, I better see some NHC bashing when they release their official forecast. Well, I actually don't want to see that, but people shouldn't complain that it is nearly impossible for AccuWx to forecast the season because there are no real 'indicators' without realizing that they are also accusing CSU and the NHC of the same.

Most of the forecasts started as a forecast relative to average. I'm sure a skilled meteorologist could sit down and spit out a forecast that is better than random and anticipates whether the reason will be below, near, or above the climatological average. Weak flow across the Atlantic basin and warmer-than-normal SSTs would be two indicators that, by the end of the season, there may be more-than-average number of tropical systems. In addition, convective events can be much more sensitive to very small changes in location and amplitude of various meteorological features. One event may be 'ruined' by cloudcover that doesn't clear out until 3pm, while another may be ruined because 700mb temps are 1.5C higher than forecast, which capped off the environment. The tropical systems, especially when averaged over the course of the entire season, seem to be less sensitive to these very small variations. So, I think it's easier to forecast an under-near-above average tropical season many months ahead of time than it is to forecast any individual convective event (like tornadoes in Oklahoma on May 30th) that far ahead of time. I can liken a forecast of weaker-than-normal flow over the Atlantic (favorable upper-level pattern) and higher-than-normal SSTs to having knowledge that dewpoints in the plains will be higher than normal and that there will be persistent southwesterly flow aloft on the east side of a western US trough (favorable upper-level pattern).... We can anticipate the flow and SST anomalies in the tropical Atlantic with some skill, and we base the forecast off of that information. If we knew the large-scale, mean flow pattern would be favorable across the US, and we could anticipate that Tds would be higher-than-normal, than it would be a reason forecast to anticipate a more-active-than-normal chase season. The problem with chasing, however, is that the signals over the mid-latitudes in spring can be quite a bit weaker than the signals over the low-latitudes of the Atlantic during the summer and fall.

Again, I'm no fan of AccuWx, and I find their occassional anti-NHC tones deplorable at times. However, I do think it's only fair to realize that their forecast may not be an absolute crap shoot. As someone else noted, some of their map looks like it's nearly entirely climatological, since it's common for tropical systems to hit, for example, southern Florida and the outer banks of NC. So, I think some of that is climo-based. But hey, climo IS A forecast tool. If it wasn't, none of would say "wait until May" when the setup looks like garbage in April. Again, I question their motives for this "product", and I fully expect an onslaught of "I told you so" should their forecast verify (with absolutely no mention of it should it not verify).

I've noticed that no matter what the forum, an AccuWeather/Joe Bastardi tropical forecast always sparks a firestorm. Floating one of their long-range tropical forecasts on a weather message board = lighting a cigarette while filling the car with gasoline. :D

The fringe benefit, I suppose, is very lively discussion!

I'd like to see folks try that with storm chase forecats. Forecast once before you hit the road, and then no more updates. :)
[/b]

I've done that more times than I would've liked to. Once in a while it works.

I like to see Dr. William Gray's analysis every spring. Not using his guesses as gospel, but more as a guideline to what kind of season it looks to be (active, quiet, normal, 2005, etc). He is passing the torch to one of the guys he has been mentoring. Philip (forgot his name, it is unique) will be the man now, as Dr Gray is going more into global warming after 34 (?) years in Hurricane prediction. Read about this the other day.

Max Mayfield is the Hurricane Authority (not TWC as they have been pimping, when did they start with that?). Max comes on TV, I listen!

Pat Robertson, the real visionary behind Inaccu-Bungle's egotistical excess! :lol:

In God we trust, but Pat Robertson writes his own Almanac. :rolleyes:
Don't leave your day job Pat!

I'm not sure if Accu-Weather has been doing it, but many articles I have seen use the words "Over due" in referring to a hurricane in the northeast. It doesn't really work like that. Hurricanes have no memory and they don't get over due. Past seasons have no control over future ones. While many factors are coming together that increase the hurricane risk to the east coast, it has nothing to do with the fact that "it's been a long time."

Originally posted by NOAA: 2006 Atlantic Hurricane Outlook

CAUTIONARY NOTES

1) It is currently not possible to confidently predict at these extended ranges the number or intensity of landfalling hurricanes, or whether a particular locality will be impacted by a hurricane this season. Therefore, residents and government agencies of coastal and near-coastal regions should always maintain hurricane preparedness efforts regardless of the overall seasonal outlook.

Just as NOAA said, you can not place the dart on the map and know where the Hurricanes of pending season will hit, or how strong they will be on land fall. Placing a high risk on heavily populated areas and areas well known for energy production is just a good way to build hype. People like to watch a good disaster movie just as much as they do to hear about the possibility of a real one on the news. AccuWeather is using this to their advantage by forecasting that there is a high risk that Boston and NYC could be hit by a hurricane, and a 50% chance that it will be a major hurricane. This is a great way to great people to notice you and then they will spread the word ("Well AccuWeather said..."). Furthermore, people will keep checking their site for updates on the pending hurricane season, thus raising their site hits total, thus helping them attract more advertisers who will be willing to pay more for a spot on the site. Then as the season progresses they will "update" their forecasts to reflect what may or actually will happen, and even if it doesn’t have a corny disaster movie plot in the making in the updates. They have already built a big enough fan base with their initial forecast that will allow them to make more realistic predictions as the season progresses and not loose to many returning visitors of their site.

Well, they were wrong about that, but where's the accountability?
[/b]

It's called accu-tability, or something like that...Which means they are only accu-accountable when they are correct.

Pat

Back