4/06/06 NOW: KS/NE/IA/MO/OK/AR/TX

Was talking with Jeff Manion from CRH.......looking at the vis imagery you can see the boundary where the deeper moisture is advancing northward over eastern KS. Also...lots of lift occuring as seen across northeastern KS into southern Nebraska. In addition it looks like the billow clouds over southeast KS and in the deeper moisture are begining to morph to more "lumpy" cumulus...indicative of the cap being eroded. I agree with Howie that the areas from Wichita to Topeka to Joplin could become really good here in the next couple of hours. The surface system continues to deepen with large pressure falls across KS.

KFOR Channel 4, the Oklahoma City NBC affiliate has their Chopper 4 on the Pawnee, OK supercell currently. The wall cloud has become a bit more organized the past 5 minutes, but is still relatively high-based. First-hand reports marveling at the crisp structure of the updrafts. We also get to listen to Mike Morgan-isms such as "mid-level lock" (mesocyclone algorithm trigger) and "hyper-mode" (apparently when a supercell begins to look very good on dark helicopter imagery)!

Here's a quote from 2035 UTC:
"I'll be shocked if this (supercell) doesn't put down a tornado today"
David Payne - KFOR Oklahoma City

As a sidenote: fire weather threat in western Oklahoma becoming quite dangerous - wind gusts up to 57 mph have been observed via the Mesonet and numerous fires identified on visible satellite.

Question as much as observation:

Anyone think that 850mb plume of moisture advecting into SE NE will mix with the sfc moisture (also advecting to SE NE) so as to bring LCL's down in that region significantly?

Osage county tornado warned! Good rotation as the cell begins to intensify.

I am currently watching the circus of OKC wall-to-wall media coverage. KFOR Helicopter and ground-based storm trackers confirm that there has been no tornado touchdown associated with the WSR-88D indicated warning currently in place Osage County. An ominous lowering is in place currently, but visibility is a problem due to the heavy rainfall in its vicinity.

Severe thuderstorm watch just issued for North Texas. Looks like we got something firing up just north of Granbury to the SW of Fort Worth that I've been watching the last half hour.

EDIT: T-storm warning issued for Hood County for this storm. 60mph winds, golf ball sized hail.

I've been watching the patch of growing cu in sw Kingman county, KS, which shows promise as this is leading an apparent weak mesolow, and another feature sw of OKC is starting to show some cu development as well. Did any of the Normanites stay home?

Glen
[/b]

Those with academic obligations... unfortunately....

:(

Sara J.
OU SoM

Wonder if everyone's ignoring the storm just N of there (E of Arkansas City KS)?? Hope not, because it has higher echo top and other characteristics similar to the Osage county storm.

Works for me, been watching it for 15 minutes. The storm is cycling and at one point, it got real low with a huge inflow band/tail cloud. Live coverage of a tornadic storm from my computer!!! It's probably a bandwidth issue at this point Bill.

edit: HUGE wall cloud/wedge type wall cloud now from KFOR helicopter

All I get with that KFOR stream is an advertisement and then it ends. Does this work for anyone else?
[/b]

Yeah it works for me...pretty good shots too. Sounds like they may have a decent guy for their resident chaser.

Back