4/06/06 NOW: KS/NE/IA/MO/OK/AR/TX

Looks like everything is starting to settle down into a convective mess here in NE. Convection everywhere, but nothing too strong or discrete. I'm watching the cell down in NE KS from here in Beatrice (I'm back), but I don't have much hopes for it given the way it's oriented with another cell right on it's butt.

Spent the day chasing the tornado down in Kansas. Had to chase it from the SW; it was pretty impossible to get ahead of it on the road network since we started from behind. Saw the tornado on the ground for about 3 minutes before it lifted or got wrapped in rain (couldn't tell, we were from behind). Saw lots of damage today along the track. Tore up part of Clay Center pretty bad, but luckily it just hit a little west of the main residences in town.

My guess is that everything's done here today in SE NE. Hope I'm wrong -- it's been kinda an oversold day, if you ask me! :)

Looks like everything is starting to settle down into a convective mess here in NE. Convection everywhere, but nothing too strong or discrete. I'm watching the cell down in NE KS from here in Beatrice (I'm back), but I don't have much hopes for it given the way it's oriented with another cell right on it's butt.

Spent the day chasing the tornado down in Kansas. Had to chase it from the SW; it was pretty impossible to get ahead of it on the road network since we started from behind. Saw the tornado on the ground for about 3 minutes before it lifted or got wrapped in rain (couldn't tell, we were from behind). Saw lots of damage today along the track. Tore up part of Clay Center pretty bad, but luckily it just hit a little west of the main residences in town.

My guess is that everything's done here today in SE NE. Hope I'm wrong -- it's been kinda an oversold day, if you ask me! :)
[/b]

Good to hear all is good, and not many injuries if any.

Always good to hear when confronted with such a dangerous situation.

I hope i helped some of you out today.
Wish i could have been there!

J~Mac

Kansas City Metro is finally under a tornado watch. Seeing partly cloudy skies and still having some wind gusts in KCK. I am still waiting for at least a thunderstorm here and maybe now that chance will come although I am not seeing anything on radar heading this way yet.

There is a tornado warning for Barton and Jasper County in MO and Crawford County in KS now. "THIS STORM HAS A HISTORY OF PRODUCING DAMAGE IN CHEROKEE COUNTY..." This one may be worth keeping an eye one.

Interesting report from Haskell county, OK. I wonder if this will be entered as a waterspout :p

TORNADO 4 N ENTERPRISE HASKELL
WEST OF EUFAULA DAM....BRIEF TOUCHDOWN ON LAKE.

What happened to the 3"+ hail? I only see exactly one report of 2", and all the rest are smaller. Well, LI's were generally only in the neighborhood of -6-ish, and CAPE's weren't very high today either (1500, 2000, where the storms ended up). That says to me that updrafts weren't strong enough for monster hail...

edit: I notice SiggyTor is now up to 3 in NE TX/SE OK. Area to watch for development? (I love saying "SiggyTor")

What happened to the 3"+ hail? I only see exactly one report of 2", and all the rest are smaller. Well, LI's were generally only in the neighborhood of -6-ish, and CAPE's weren't very high today either (1500, 2000, where the storms ended up). That says to me that updrafts weren't strong enough for monster hail...
[/b]

I think you are right on the money with that assessment. Early on, some of the storms that developed in NC OK appeared to be struggling with the overwhelming shear..implying that their updrafts just weren't strong enough. In addition to stomping out the damaging large hail threat, the moisture domino...high dewpoint depressions == high LCLs == Cold RFDs probably kept us from having any significant tornadoes and a large scale tornado outbreak.

Tonight though, as the LLJ picks up and dewpoint depressions come down, we have seen supercells continue to thrive, esp. in E OK and W AR right now. Cell in Latimore/Le Flore Co. OK looking impressive with only SVR on it now, and that looks to change.

The storm south of Harrison, AR appears to have a ball on its southern flank. I looked at the radial velocity and it seemed to indicate rotation in that general area. I'm suprised there's not a tornado warning out for this storm. Anyone else notice this?

Cell is now tornado warned and heading straight for Harrison, AR. Heads up to people in Harrison. It's a mountainous area... very scary when dealing with tornadoes...

Back