4/06/06 NOW: KS/NE/IA/MO/OK/AR/TX

Tornado Watch #154 in effect for the E. half of KS and the SE. quarter of NE until 9 PM.

Edit (1:00 PM): Looking at observations it looks like the dryline is E. of Pratt on the southern end of the watch. There really isn't a sharp dryline further north into C. and N. Kansas, but that will probably change as the low moves to the NE. Western edge of the watch is along the CU field in KS.

Sitting in Topeka KS, PDS box up for ks/ne. Darin Brunin, Eric B' Hymer, Jordan Wrecke and I will be heading west shortly. Good luck to all today.

John,

Everyone following this event knows there is a new box out. Please follow the rules and don't post uninformative posts such as this.

I've been watching the patch of growing cu in sw Kingman county, KS, which shows promise as this is leading an apparent weak mesolow, and another feature sw of OKC is starting to show some cu development as well. Did any of the Normanites stay home?

Glen

John,

Everyone following this event knows there is a new box out. Please follow the rules and don't post uninformative posts such as this.
mode
I've been watching the patch of growing cu in sw Kingman county, KS, which shows promise as this is leading an apparent weak mesolow, and another feature sw of OKC is starting to show some cu development as well. Did any of the Normanites stay home?

Glen
[/b]
Yeah, I'm sitting at OU just watching stuff. Not sure what to expect given these wind profiles and not sure how they will change either as the RUC has have been all over the place and my head hurts from trying to keep up.

John,

Glen
[/b]

Im sitting in Blanchrd Oklahoma and after considering blasting North I think I will stay put a tad longer. Dryline is jsut to the West and I wouldnt be surrprised to see something fire maybe a county West or along a line from Enid to OKC to Chickasha shortly perhaps even towards Lawton as well. Ive made my bed and its time to lie in it so ill be chasing around the OKC metro and points North and NorthEast. Basically in the area a new meso disc. just popped up. Id also keep an eye on areas along and jsut East of I-35 in SouthCentral Oklahoma later.

Also CNN is at SPC and moments ago did a special baloon release. Will be interesting to see the results.

Cell exploding just west of Wichita, dopplar indicated 2.25 inch hail...already! Jeez. It's also taking on a hookish shape as well.
[/b]

Yes cell in Kansas is going wild.Im sure it has golfballs at this time and initially is only tracking 30 mph but this is still a very young cell. Im sure the updraft towers are amazing.

Major cumulus field east of Dodge City and also in a line stretching from west of Wichita down to west of Oklahoma city. Looks like things are firing more to the west than expected. Dry line is really evident in the WV imagery in western Oklahoma.

The surface pressure in Hill City, Kansas is down to 990mb (from 992mb at 1713utc), and the presure in Russel is down to 990mb. Winds in Southeast Nebraska are responding and backing to the South-Southeast to Southeast. Towers are already showing up on visible along the dryline over Southern Kansas. A nice CU field had become established over North Central Kansas/South Central Nebraska. Dewpoints are still only in the lower to middle 50s across Norther Kansas/Nebraska, but strong moisture advection should aid in low 60s by early this evening. Everything seems to be coming to gether for this setup.

Yes cell in Kansas is going wild.Im sure it has golfballs at this time and initially is only tracking 30 mph but this is still a very young cell. Im sure the updraft towers are amazing.
[/b]

I agree. Looks like the real deal. Just north of Kingman.

Hopefully things get going around OKC here in a bit....looks like we're under a little bit of subsidence via WV imagery. The area of lift firing the stuff off west of Wichita should be moving in the OKC area here and maybe we'll get some explosions off the dryline. VAD profiles are much better than profilers right now, so not sure which to believe. Hopefully the dryline keeps it's pace...worried if it surges during initiation won't be getting much but towers and false hopes until much later and much farther east.

FYI...cannot see below 500 mb on the WV imagery, so you can't see the dryline.

I only give that tower a 50/50 shot of getting rooted, though. LCL's are a bit high there, though workable. 70kt 500mb/30kt 700mb winds shouldn't be a problem, though, with LI's ~-6/-7.

edit: top now down to 35/40k....top getting blown off too much?

Back