3/12/06 NOW: KS/MO

The MO storm does appear to have recycled butr a new area of rotation has formed and a hail spike occurred in the last scan. The storm is know moving to the edge of the radar scan so the radar might have issues with scanning the low level rotation

Initiation appears to be occurring in SE KS, west of Independence. Got off the phone a short while ago w/ Jeff Snyder et al. who are observing a tcu that is breaking the cap (complete w/ pileus cloud). This will be a very long night...

Gabe

Well KC is at it again with severe warnings for golfball sieze hail... the storms in that area have become gradually more organized and we will see what happens. Now we also have 2 potentially tornadic supercells tracking dangerously close to Columbia, MO. At this time it appears that the circulation of this storm may pass just to the south of the city and hopefully this thing is still cycling as it passes through the city.

After analyzing the radar loops I believe I know where the tornado on the northern cell is headed if it holds together... Mexico. Missouri, that is. Mexico is a town of 11,229 people about 25 miles northeast of Columbia.
The storm should arrive there in less than half an hour.
I have a feeling that this is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of this outbreak.

Given the proximity to one another, I'm surprised the northern cell isn't entraining rain-cooled air from the Sadalia storm and dissipating. Amazing to see that it's maintaining itself so well...

Wouldn't be surprised to see these two monsters merge over the next 2-3 hours or a split occur with the northern cell with the right-mover merging with the Sedalia cell.

Nonetheless, sweet looking pendant hooks on both storms right now, per WxTap BREF and strong g2g shear on SRM.

Columbia, MO is a larger city in the midwest. A tornado warning was just issued for the city. Radar and ground reports still show this tornado with the s-cell is tracking directly toward Columbia in the next 1/2 hour or so. The tornado itself, with significant damage reported in Sedalia, is moving at 55mph and still on the ground. A very long lived tornado.

PS: I could not find any webcams in Columbia, MO.

New warning text from NWS

AT 444 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR AND STORM
SPOTTERS WERE TRACKING A LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO 16
MILES WEST OF JAMESTOWN...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 55 MPH. THIS TORNADO
HAS CAUSED SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE IN SEDALIA.

Looks like Centralia is gonna take a direct hit from the northern storm. Both storms are showing up good now on St. Louis doppler, both with intense rotation at low levels.

May want to keep watching SErn Kansas as well, within the last 15-20 minutes another updraft has organized. The high-level cirrus, indicating the 500mb jet-core is finally reaching into eastern Kansas and as this continues to interact with the dryline, we may see an abrupt/quick increase in initiation - especially over the next few hours.

I sure hope folks in Columbia are taking this seriously and are taking shelter. This southern cell is making a bee-line right for the city.

KOMU in columbia. mo is web casting. Click on KOMU weather plus

go to KOMU.com

I'm noticing clouds moving in from sw across Tx and OK. SPC issued an MSD for convection breaking out before 0Z, but it looks like this could shut everything down for this area. Any opinions here?

That cell appears to have cycled and is now back as strong as it ever was, with a new hook forming and heading right at Columbia. Geez. I just hope the timing is such that it doesn't drop a new one right on the city as it reaches there.

Back