3/12/06 NOW: KS/MO

Now Boonville is in very serious trouble...

AT 414 PM CST...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A LARGE TORNADO
AT MILE MARKER 92 ON INTERSTATE 70 OR NEAR NELSON. THIS TORNADO WAS
MOVING EAST AT 60 MPH. THIS TORNADO WAS MOVING EAST AT 60 MPH.

THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...
FAYETTE BY 425 PM CST.

THE TOWN OF BOONVILLE IS ALSO IN THE PATH OF THIS TORNADO.

Dear Lord, and I just read about the 1/2 mile wide monster bearing down on Sedalia, just as I was afraid it would do... This could be very ugly for both Sedalia and Boonville. As far as size, Boonville has a population of 8,202 and Sedalia has 20,329 souls that dwell within it's limits. that's almost 30,000 people in imminent danger from these two tornadoes, not even counting the subdivisions outside of Sedalia and many other small towns in that area. I have a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that there is going to be massive damage and probably some fatalities from these storms.

We may end up seeing some good video of this tornado. Spotters just reported it is located near I-70 which means the terrain may be flat and wide open.

That's with the northern storm then (mile marker 92 on I70 - Booneville area). Both storms with confirmed large tornadoes :shock:

The reports indicate the southern storm/tornado near Sedelia is more serious.

Originally posted by HAltschule
We may end up seeing some good video of this tornado. Spotters just reported it is located near I-70 which means the terrain may be flat and wide open.

If you watch the radar loop, you see it cross the interstate in northeast Pattis county. Assuming it was on the ground, which the spotters say it was. Hopefully cars got out of the way of this one, as it was moving very fast and due to its size may not have appeared to be what the public would expect a tornado to look like.

The cell south of this cell is about to cross the interstate as well, probably in northern/northeast Cooper county. It, too, has some rotation on velocities and looks very, very ready to drop a tube, if it's going to.

At 2228Z, the storm ~10 miles NE of Ottawa, KS appears to be a split. Neither of these cores seem to be organizing well.

The storm ~5 miles NW of Ottawa, KS seems to have some organization per the past few Z scans. It appears to have some weak rotation in the mid and high-levels, but doesn't look to be doing anything drastic very soon.

These storms seem to be moving more NNE than the previous supercells, and therefore may not be tapping into much SRH, which may be contributing to the lack of organization.

I have not seen this before. It may just be another way to highlight the urgency of the situation but it sounds like it could be a pre-defined term from the NWS. Anyone know if this is an official NWS term?

MOC159-122230-
/O.CON.KEAX.TO.W.0020.000000T0000Z-060312T2230Z/
PETTIS MO-
412 PM CST SUN MAR 12 2006

...TORNADO EMERGENCY EASTERN PETTIS COUNTY...
...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHERN PETTIS COUNTY
UNTIL 43 PM...

AT 409 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR AND STORM
SPOTTERS WERE TRACKING A LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HALF MILE
WIDE TORNADO. THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND LIFE THREATENING
SITUATION!! WIDESPREAD DESTRUCTION HAS BEEN REPORTED. THIS TORNADO
WAS LOCATED 6 MILES EAST OF GREEN RIDGE...OR 5 MILES SOUTHWEST OF
SEDALIA...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH.

3-12-06

just hung up from talking to mickey ptak.he was filming another tornado on the southern most cell in missouri closest town was sedallia i believe he reports numerous homes with damage trees and power lines down and emergency personel in the area hopefully no one is injured everyone be careful and remember the people being affected by these storms

Originally posted by Mark Farnik
Now Boonville is in very serious trouble...

AT 414 PM CST...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A LARGE TORNADO AT MILE MARKER 92 ON INTERSTATE 70 OR NEAR NELSON. THIS TORNADO WAS MOVING EAST AT 60 MPH. THIS TORNADO WAS MOVING EAST AT 60 MPH.
Oh man...and I picked up my chase target in Columbia, MO just a few miles east of this big monster! How cool is that, hehe 8) Too bad I am virtually chasing..

Incredible rotations in both supercells north and south of Boonville city!

wow, another supercell just SW of KC :shock:

The southern supercell in Cooper County MO seems to be going through a cycle, according to both the refl and srv data. You can see both a new refl hook forming and the original meso weakening, with hints of a new one forming to the SE near Otterville.

Looks like the Ottawa storms are more Northerly, between Lawrence and Ottawa. Baldwin city would be the in its path.

The hook echo on the Pleasant Hill Doppler for the Marshall is huge!!! if memory serves it's kind of rocky between Marshall and Boonville on I70, with few places to get off the Interstate.

Originally posted by HAltschule
I have not seen this before. It may just be another way to highlight the urgency of the situation but it sounds like it could be a pre-defined term from the NWS. Anyone know if this is an official NWS term?

The Norman office coined the term on the 3/99 Moore tornado, but they used the term on both of the Moore events. I don't think that the NWS has made this an "official" term for use in the text products (maybe some of the NWS employee lurkers could confirm/deny this), but offices seem to use it when a large, damaging tornado threatens a populated area.

The middle cell of the ones SW of KC (cell V6 according to GRLevel3) passed over NW Olathe a few minutes ago. About a minute of hail in our neighborhood, and some wind and a bit of lightning, but not much; largest hail was maybe 3/4"-1 inch, but there just wasn't much of it at all.

Back