3/12/06 NOW: KS/MO

The KOMO feed really sucks. But I did get a quick glimpse of street detail and the radar shows the hook going over a fairly large populated area of the city.

Originally posted by Bill Tabor
I'm noticing clouds moving in from sw across Tx and OK. SPC issued an MSD for convection breaking out before 0Z, but it looks like this could shut everything down for this area. Any opinions here?

I think thats mostly smoke and dust. Take a look at the mesonet obs in W. OK....80s with dews in the single digits with wind gusts to 60mph. Even if these features were preventing realization of total insolation the dynamics are so strong convective initiation is going to happen anytime along the DL.

At 23Z, the surface low has moved into NC KS with the now nearly stationary warm front extending E along I-70 from the low to near St. Louis, MO. The dryline intersects the warm front just west of Kansas City, KS and extends SW to Bartlesville, OK-Shawnee, OK-Marietta, OK. Moist sector SBCAPE is fairly consistent around 2.5 KJ/Kg.

Two supercells continue to move ENE in the vicinity of Columbia, MO. These storms seem to be interacting with the vorticity near the warm front with numerous reports of tornadoes in the past hour. Storm environment interactions may be the demise of one or both of these storms over the next hour or two. If these interactions do not inhibit these storms, they may continue to be prolific severe weather producers until they get well into IL due to the extremely favorable kinematic parameters even though the thermodynamic parameters are not as favorable.

Storm clusters in the Kansas City, KS vicinity seem to be struggling to organize into supercells in the less favorable vertical wind profiles and more northerly storm motions.

Storm initiation is underway in uncapped areas in SE KS near Chanute. These storms may take some time to organize and may not do so until they enter the more favorable kinematic environment closer to, or across the border, into MO where 0-3 Km SRH is approaching 350 m^2/s^2.

Further south in OK, development is beginning in Osage and extreme NE Lincoln counties along the dryline. As with the SE KS cells, it may take a bit of time for the cores to enter a bit more favorable environment before they take off. As previously mentioned, if storms develop further S, there may be an enhanced area of tornado potential closer to the Red River as winds are slightly backed in this area.

Regarding TX/OK, blowing dust is being reported at several sites, and with gusts to 60, that's probably being dispersed with some depth.

Also a large out of control grass fire is ongoing near Borger in the Texas Panhandle.

Certainly some of this is visible on the visible.

A cell with flying eagle signature is getting organized just west of Louisville in southern Indiana.

Originally posted by Morgan Palmer
Regarding TX/OK, blowing dust is being reported at several sites, and with gusts to 60, that's probably being dispersed with some depth.

Also a large out of control grass fire is ongoing near Borger in the Texas Panhandle.

Certainly some of this is visible on the visible.

Yeah thats the other side to this system. The winds in Tx pnhndl and W OK are incredible...gusts to 60mph and dews in the single digits. With as dry as its been wildfire danger is catastrophically extreme. OUN has a special on their web pg:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/enhanced.php?map=2

NWS says that a 'brief' tornado touched down in the East-Central part of the City of Columbia, MO. With a little bit of luck, the wedge may have lifted before hitting most of the city,

Im sitting in Ardmore Oklahoma. Dewpoint at 61.5 and winds from the S occasionally shifting to SE. CU has fell off the past half hour or so and looks like high cirrus and blowing dust 7 or smoke moving in from West Texas.
Ill probably stay here till at least sunset. If something pops ill be in more of a lightning photography mode than chasing anything tornadic or photogenic.

Originally posted by Gabe Garfield
KOMU (ABC) of Columbia, MO is reporting that a tornado passed through downtown Columbia.

Gabe

I'm afraid there may be unfortunate news to come out of Columbia... that sucker was a bigtime beastie going right over town... well that's two Big-12 college towns getting severely whacked by this outbreak.

Mike u

Eastern KS and Eastern OK are seeing rapid initiation now. Look for rapid severe to develop in the next 20-30 minutes. Hopefully a bunch of folks are still in position there.

We are sitting in Bristow, Ok and currently watching some clouds trying to get with the program. GR#3 is not showing to much yet with them but I thinkwe are gonna tag along with them and see what they do. Gonna try to stay out of Osage county.

Back