3/12/06 NOW: KS/MO

Originally posted by HAltschule
This is absolutely hilarious. I am listening to the Kansas City, MO police scanner online because of the SVR and TOR's in the area. Dispatch just sent 1 car to an intersection for juveniles throwing HAIL at passing vehicles and to see the complainant whose car got hit. LMAO. I'll never hear that again in my lifetime.

That has to be a first lol

Pat

The Columbia, MO supercell is now crossing the river into IL at this time; couplet not as defined as it has been, but still obviously tornado-warned.

I'm beginning to think that the cell just se of Chandler OK may just be the southern limit for deep convection this evening.

Pat

ya thats the third state for that storm... reminds me of the famous march 18th tri-state storm.

Hopefully this one wont have caused quite as much damage...

At 01Z, the low has moved into east-central KS just W of Topeka. The warm front extends eastward from the low through Kansas City, MO eastward to near Louisiana, MO. The dryline intersects the warm front just west of Kansas City, KS and extends SW to near Chanute, KS-Bartlesville, OK-near Shawnee, OK-just W of Ardmore, OK. Dew points in the moist sector are generally in the low 60s with MUCAPE around 2 KJ/Kg - and increasing CIN with the loss of daytime heating.

The northern cell of the two supercells that were near Columbia, MO a couple of hours ago has weakened, seemingly due to interactions with the southern cell. The southern cell has continued producing severe weather reports as it has been riding along the warm front boundary moving now into W IL. I would expect that this storm will lose supercell characteristics in the next hour or two as it moves into a less favorable environment in central IL. This storm began back in eastern KS and has completely crossed MO as a supercell - quite amazing.

Storms N and E of Kansas City, MO have moved from the weakly sheared air mass in E KS into a much more favorable area in MO and several have become supercells. I would expect these supercells to be sustained for some time as the kinematic and thermodynamic environment will favor this storm mode.

The storms further south in KS to the west of Ft. Scott will likely remain disorganized until they cross into MO and enter a more favorable kinematic environment.

In OK, a 50-knot LLJ is developing in E OK into W AR, enhancing the low level shear profile. Storms seem to be struggling with increasing CIN and decreasing convergence along the dryline.

Is anyone else weirded out that the cell that crossed the interstate in MO so long ago is still going very, very strong as what appears to be an HP... in Illinois? Just where did that cell start, anyway? And when is that thing gonna end? I mean, it's now tracked at least a couple hundred miles.

"Cell just SE of Harrisonville MO looks as tornadic as it gets...just as I was typing, warning went up."

That storm is also warned on for baseball sized hail and winds to 90
mph... :shock:

Things are really starting to fire up and its fairly concerning considering it is dark across most of this region. The dryline has pretty much erupted in the past 30 minuets with these storms just starting to significantly organize.

Ryan:

I was just about to comment on that cell now approaching Springfield, IL. It is definitely a M.O.A.S (Mother of All Supercells) and has had tornadoes reported with it for the last several hours. This storm recently merged with the northern supercell and is now one big monster. Springfield is in the path and there could be some problems. Very eerie that this is the same storm. So far it is has persisted across 3 states.

Looks like some new tornado warnings are coming out ... the EAS system is automatically being triggered on television ... KC still seems like it is covered in storms. I'm starting to wonder a bit about the end of the line going through Lee's Summit right now too ... the storm southeast of Pleasant Hill is a monster - -

Man the cell NW of Clinton, MO has started to go absolutely crazy these past few minuets with a very pronounced appeandage and a tight and organized couplet... wouldn't be suprised to see a tornado report out of that soon. Also probably some fairly large hail with core dbz values reaching to around 65 dbz. Also a hint of a bwer if you look at higher tilts.

I am in awe as well with that supercell which has crossed MO and now IL during its whole life as a supercell.

Back