3/12/06 NOW: KS/MO

Tornado reported by NWS employee near Warrensburg...

AT 740 PM CST...AN OFF DUTY WEATHER SERVICE EMPLOYEE OBSERVED A
LARGE TORNADO NEAR WARRENSBURG. DOPPLER RADAR SHOWED THIS TORNADO
MOVING EAST AT 50 MPH.

EDIT: Another large supercell now taking shape to the NE of Tulsa with large hail and damaging winds, a hook is starting to form on the SW flank of that storm as well

EDIT 2: Tornado near Warrenburg now reported to be a half mile wide in warning text...

Numerous reports of a large tornado entering into Springfield, Illinois. Currently to the Southwest of the city. This is the same storm system that raked Missouri today. It just keeps going.

Springfield, Illinois watch out.

I know we all wish that hook approaching Springfield didn't contain what we all know it does. A worst-case scenario, indeed. Hoping for the best over the next 1/2 hour.

As for the Tor warned cell south of Warrensburg......let's ALSO hope that it doesn't change course (i.e. right-mover), as it looks to pass JUST to the north of Sedalia.

EDIT: Looks like the TOR south of Warrensburg is losing some of its northerly track......NOT good.

Intensification up and down the dryline still ongoing. What an incredible day.

Anyone in Springfield needs to take cover NOW if they already haven't! A massive, dangerous tornado bearing down on a large city (Springfield is home to 111,454 people as of 2000 census) under the cover of darkness; the ultimate nightmare scenario is now playing itself out as we speak. I fear there will be massive damage and some fatalities from this storm. :(

Center of circ is 9+ miles away from downtown Springfield, so no reason to think you'd see it or that would be responsible for power flashes at this point.

Incidently, this wedge may be very visibile. METAR in Springfield, IL is reporting "continuous lightning" with the parent t-storm. I'm sure this is helping track and keep visuals by illuminating the nader.

dick mcgown reports wedge tornadoo on the ground west of blackwater missouri 824 pm

Back