/O.CON.KILX.TO.W.0010.000000T0000Z-060313T0230Z/
SANGAMON-
818 PM CST SUN MAR 12 2006

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 830 PM CST FOR CENTRAL
SANGAMON COUNTY...

AT 814 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR AND STORM
SPOTTERS WERE TRACKING AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO. THIS
TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR CURRAN...OR ABOUT 5 MILES SOUTHWEST OF
SPRINGFIELD...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH.

PEOPLE NEAR THESE LOCATIONS ARE STILL THREATENED...
CURRAN.
SPRINGFIELD.
It is now apparent that a tornado strike on Springfield is inevitable. If this thing is as intense as we all know it likely is, there will be massive damage and probably a few fatalities. A situation like this just exemplifies how powerless we are against the forces of nature. :(

The cell south of Warrensburg (the Butler storm) HAS to have a tornado on the ground as well right now ... that storm has one of the most impressive hooks. Tornadoes reported on the ground near Knob Knoster as well ... hope that thing misses Sedalia ... this has been a scary day.

Holy crapola folks. Check out this METAR from Moline, IL.

KMLI 130152Z 15036G93KT 3SM R09/6000VP6000FT +TSRA BR SQ BKN011 BKN021 OVC045
10/09 RMK AO2 PK WND 22093/0148 WSHFT 0136 LTG DSNT ALQDS SLPNO P0033
T01000089 $=

Yes...that's a 107 MPH gust measured by official NWS equipment.

http://radioweather.us/ilx.png

The warning was issued for the western half of the county, and you'll see Springfield is not in the box.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL
743 PM CST SUN MAR 12 2006

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LINCOLN HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
WESTERN SANGAMON COUNTY IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS
SOUTHERN MORGAN COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL ILLINOIS

* UNTIL 830 PM CST

* AT 743 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR AND
SPOTTERS WERE TRACKING A TORNADO NEAR MURRAYVILLE...OR ABOUT
10 MILES SOUTH OF JACKSONVILLE...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
FRANKLIN...
ALEXANDER...
WAVERLY...
NEW BERLIN...
BERLIN...
LOAMI...
CURRAN...
FARMINGDALE...

Here at WILL AM/FM/TV we are doing continuous live coverage as a large tornado continues to be tracked heading directly towards Springfield, IL. THis is a horrible situation... worst ive seen in IL in some years.

Tornado warnings now in effect just to the NE and SE of Tulsa, OK with continued supercell development along the dryline. Also the southern supercell in MO just to the NW of Clinton has a very well defined hook and velocity couplet associated with it.

Edit: Tornado reported by trained spotters near Clinton, MO

Originally posted by HAltschule
Incidently, this wedge may be very visibile. METAR in Springfield, IL is reporting "continuous lightning" with the parent t-storm. I'm sure this is helping track and keep visuals by illuminating the nader.

This is one UGLY looking situation in IL!

Other cells of note are effecting Saline, and look to just be entering Johnson counties in MO.

Pat

AAAAND the tornado just happens to be bearing down on Springfield. Rdale, and I know this probably isn't very funny given the serious nature of the situation, but sometimes you have to think outside the box. Especially when it comes to tornado warnings.
The warning you were referring to is about 40 minutes old. The warnings since then definitely include Springfield.
Back on topic, Springfield is going to be feeling the wrath of this monster any minute now. I am praying for the safety of her citizens. Unfortunatley, I don't think Springfield is going to escape this without at least a few fatalities. :(

What is the link for Springfield, IL?

PS: TOR Warnings "officially" issued for Springfield. Spotters tracking a large tornado over Western Springfield.

"and I know this probably isn't very funny given the serious nature of the situation, but sometimes you have to think outside the box."

Correct - it's great that the local EM's sounded the sirens, but I'm surprised NWS did not feel necessary to include Springfield in the warning until just a minute or two prior to the town getting hit! Needless to say, in the end it didn't matter since TV stations were clearly covering and the actual NWS product wasn't necessary.

Originally posted by rdale
http://radioweather.us/ilx.png

The warning was issued for the western half of the county, and you'll see Springfield is not in the box.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LINCOLN HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
WESTERN SANGAMON COUNTY IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS SOUTHERN MORGAN COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL ILLINOIS

* UNTIL 830 PM CST.

The warning was only through 830 pm (being reissued at this moment I imagine) and since Springfield is just now being impacted at the end of that time frame, it ended up not being in the originally drawn box. Of course, the box doesn't have much to do with it right now...verification isn't being done via polygon just yet. Plus, the polygon has been redrawn with each SVS since, and Springfield is obviously within that and the warning text now.

Besides, you forgot to note the rest of the initial warning, which mentioned the following:

OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE...WOODSON...NORTONVILLE...
CHATHAM AND SPRINGFIELD.

Back