3/12/06 NOW: KS/MO

Powerflashes reported in Springfield, according to met on Springfield radio station. Report of roof damage to retail store on SW side of Springfield.

Power just went out to the city of Springfield, according to the web-cam provided earlier... Scary situation, for sure...

Hopefully, everyone in Springfield have made the proper precautions...

All lights now out on springfield web cam

http://www.wics.com/weather/webcam.shtml

Any coincidence this cell is named F5?

spring2.png

Monster HP Supercells continue to evolve along central Missouri outflow boundry. A forth massive supercell in the same general area just west of Sedalia. Now 60knts gate to gate between Warrenburg and Clinton.

KC Channel 9 reports that a tornado did in fact move across I-70 east of Kansas City and flipped vehicles off the interstate near Sweet Springs ... wonder if this has to do with the closure of the interstate that Dick McGowan reported - new tornado warnings out on what was the Butler storm -

With any luck the Springfield cell will hit mainly businesss areas (e.g. no people on weekends).

Eastern Saline and Johnson counties in MO still look to be being impacted by impressive cells.

Pat

Don't forget the line still moving through MO and OK right now. Looks like a squall line at first glance, but its still a collection of fairly discrete supercells. Nothing like the central IL supercell, but still several amazing radar signatures.

The "Springfield" cell (what folks in #stormchase have been calling "Rockwell II as a 'storm naming' thing we have been doing on and off since this morning) is going to approach very close to the Lincoln radar (within 10 nautical miles) and on its current path, it might make a glancing blow in the Chicago area in a hour or two. I'm hoping it gets pushed further east, we don't need to see this thing hit Chicago.

Quick vocab question: Is gate-to-gate shear a measure of the shear intensity regarding SRV? i.e. the rotational speed of velocity couplets?

Gate-to-gate shear is actually the amount of difference in velocites between two radials. Radial shear would probably be a better term since gates fall along one radial. Example: Radial at 30nmi and 30 degrees has +30kt velocity. Radial at 31degree has -50kt shear = 80kts

Aaron

Back