3/12/06 NOW: KS/MO

Well, we've seen two major university cities get hit today, what's another?? If the beast holds steady and keeps this "persistent" circulation(doesn't even do it justice), Champaign looks to be in the path of it in the next hour or so.

I'm freaking speechless.....

Originally posted by William Combes
Any reports from Whiteman AFB? It appears that a tornadic cell hit them dead on.

I was watching that like a hawk... the tight couplet was ~2 miles south of the base... damage reported also just south of the base.... so I think Whiteman itself was spared.

Mike U

Originally posted by Kevin Statler
wow,

With all these large tornadoes happening,its amazing there are no fatalities or injuries. Not unless they are unknown of...

People in the aforementioned area likely have basements, and take the warnings stated by NWS meteorologists, TV Stations, etc...to heart, and protect themselves.

Just my guess, but I'll be happy if my guess turns out to be correct.

Pat

This Springfield Supercell has had a persistent and large hook for many, many hours. This thing formed on the border of Missouri and OK (or KS) and maintained massive strength all night. The hook isn't part of a debris cloud but rather the precipitation and hail being wrapped around. The radar beam doesn't measure that low to the ground or it would be picking up every building and big tree.

EDIT: And the supercell still has a MAJOR hook echo and "confirmed large tornado on the ground being tracked by spotters" after all of these hours.

Originally posted by Pat Lawrence+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pat Lawrence)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Kevin Statler
wow,

With all these large tornadoes happening,its amazing there are no fatalities or injuries. Not unless they are unknown of...

People in the aforementioned area likely have basements, and take the warnings stated by NWS meteorologists, TV Stations, etc...to heart, and protect themselves.

Just my guess, But I'll be happy if my theories turn out to be correct.

Pat[/b]

we are going to have to wait until daylight tomorrow for the true scope of the damage to become clear. Unfortunatly I believe that the number of very well formed supercells close to population centers will show us significant damage when the sun rises.

The tornado that just steamrolled through Springfield is now poised to strike Clinton, Illinois, population 7500, in the next five to ten minutes. :( And ironically, Clinton is just on the west side of Clinton Lake. If this monster were to cross the lake (which it probably will) it will, for a time, be a waterspout on a scale no one could have ever imagined.

"it will, for a time, be a waterspout on a scale no one could have ever imagined."

Check the archives - it will be a tornadic waterspout, not a waterspout.

Interesting how far into the cold air these massive storms in northern IL are surviving - even seeing rotation but the inversion does wonders for tornado-killing.

Originally posted by MClarkson+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MClarkson)</div>
Originally posted by Pat Lawrence@
<!--QuoteBegin-Kevin Statler

wow,

Just my guess, But I'll be happy if my theories turn out to be correct.

Pat

we are going to have to wait until daylight tomorrow for the true scope of the damage to become clear. Unfortunatly I believe that the number of very well formed supercells close to population centers will show us significant damage when the sun rises.[/b]

I don't recall stating the damage would be minor, only that people pay attention to the warnings issued. A credit to those who chose to listen.

Pat

Ok. My bad. It will be a TORNADIC waterspout on a scale no one could have imagined.
Closely monitoring the situation in southwestern MO. Supercell west/southwest of Springfield has two confirmed tornadoes with it and is headed straight for the city. It would be extremely ironic if both Springfield's got hit in one night...
The reason I am so concerned is that my aunt lives in Licking, a town of about 1500 people 90 miles east/northeast of Springfield. This whole line of tornadic supercells is headed her way in about an hour to an hour and a half. I am going to give her a phone call in a few minutes to give her a heads up. It looks like it could be a really bad night shaping up for southern MO...

the northern most part is becoming more linear in nature, there are still supercells embeded. Hopfully this will lessen the tornado threat somewhat in this part of the line.

Back