3/12/06 NOW: KS/MO

Originally posted by Kevin Askew
Last couple of scans Springfiels cell seems to be dissapating or cycling

Agree... it looks like its 'trying' to become disorganized. Let's hope so... this amazing beast has been at it for hours. Time for it to hopefully retire and spare more dmg

Mike Gribble logged in as Jay...
I heard reports on the weather radio of the half mile wide tornado in Sedalia, but we were on the storm and I really don't think there was any wedge. While live reports of the wedge were being broadcast, we were looking at two rope/cone tornadoes(I can't confirm dust on the ground from either, but the condensation funnels were close enough to the ground to assume they were both tornadoes) and they weren't sniffing a half mile. I also looked at some of the damage South of Sedalia on my way back through and it wasn't a wide damage swath from what I saw. I could be wrong, but I really don't think I am. I will put pictures up with exact locations in the morning.

The supercell headed twoards Springfield, MO has two mesos and both can be seen faintly upon reveiwing SRVM. Hopefully this thing either weakens or has to cycle when it reaches Springfield because there are reports of 2 tornadoes on the ground with this storm. Large squall line starting to erupt along the dryline across E Central and SE KS and this is following everything to its east... when is this going to end!?!

Originally posted by HAltschule
Anyone else notice that this thread has reached almost 27,000 views since it was created. And yes, 50% of those are by me. :)

Just when I thought my own refresh was showing up better regarding net statistics....:)

Pat

Certainly hope its weakening. Enough is enough with a beast like that. Still hoping when everything gets here overnight, its linear & non tornadic. Have to be at work tom. morning and after last nights nado fest, im actually ready to relax lol

0930 PM TORNADO 2 E RENICK 39.35N 92.38W
03/12/2006 RANDOLPH MO PUBLIC

SCHOOL BUS OVERTURNED WITH COLLEGE STUDENTS. MULTIPLE
INJURIES REPORTED. REPORT RELAYED FROM NWS LSX.

relaying that from Fred Gossage. Just awful.

Pretty strong couplet on Springfield, MO radar right now with a confirmed tornado east of Nevada, MO. Look at that line of 3 or 4 supercells just lined up from central MO into extreme NW AK.

That's awful about the overturned school bus -- it really does bother me that things like this are continually allowed to happen. I mean we had a highly-publicized event with multiple tornadoes ongoing simultaneously; how the heck do you allow a school bus full of kids to drive into a supercell in a situation such as that...sigh. I just hope none of those injuries are serious.

Anyway -- today's tri-state storm is definitely undergoing some quirky transition right now just northwest of the Champaign-Urbana area...maybe splitting? There are still four intense supercells in the NW AR/SW MO area, each of which is exhibiting good rotational signatures on the lowest SRV scan.

Tornado warning now including Springfield, MO. That storm in NW Arkansas has to have some extremely large hail right now with dbz values between 65-70. Tornado reported by storm spotters with the storm approaching Springfield...

At 04Z, the surface low was centered very close to Kansas City, MO. The warm front has again begun advancing northward and extends east from the center of the low to Quincy, IL-Normal/Bloomington, IL-near Watseka, IL. The dryline extends SW from the low to near Bartlesville, OK-Seminole, OK-Ardmore, OK. Dew points S of the warm front and E of the dryline continue in the low/mid 60s with MUCAPE AOA 1500 J/Kg.

The 'ever-lasting' supercell continues into east-central IL and latest OA indicates that instability decreases towards the IL/IN border, so we may finally see a decay of this extremely long-track supercell storm.

Other supercells have formed in SW MO from the previously broken line of storms that formed several hours ago in SW KS and NE OK. A 60 Kt LLJ is contributing to 0-3 Km SRH in excess of 500 m^2/s^2 over much of MO and N AR, so I would expect these supercells to persist.

A squall line is developing along the dryline as it begins advancing east. I would expect this squall line to fill in and intensify as the surface cold front catches up to the dryline overnight. Large hail and damaging winds will be the primary threats with the squall line as it will probably last through Monday morning.

I just had a really unsettling conversation with Darin ... he and Dick are back on the interstate after chasing a large wedge tornado - - while we were talking they came across a damage path that sounds pretty extensive. Unfortunately there was a semi tractor/trailer that had been picked up and fell on top of a car under an overpass on I-70 ... they said anyone in the car had to have been killed - doesn't sound good at all. I'm afraid of what the morning light is going to show us ... they're running on empty trying to find an open gas station somewhere. This has been one nightmare of a day for Missouri.

Back