3/1/07 NOW :IL/MO/KS/TN/KY/AL/AR/LA/TX

You can sure tell the difference from a plains TV Meteorologist and a Alabama TV meteorologist when it comes to describing the storms, I wish this fox team would pull the hummer chaser off of the weakining storm moving past Tuscelusa and tell him to just drop back a little south and west and intercept the next storm as it has been showing decent rotation and now has a 75 dbz hail spike head right for Tuscalosa this storm now looks to be taking even a harder right turn, looks like its getting ready to tornado very near Tuscalosa

Agreed, this storm has a VERY pronounced hook and looks to be heading almost directly towards Tuscalosa.

Yes indeed...it's surely not a tornado outbreak until Tuscaloosa AL gets 2 tornadic supercells roll through the county. This one is the REAL deal if you see all the favorable parameters in it's environment. Looks as though it's the always scary steady state hook when the radar loop is going. Very strong and consistent couplet.

WSFA.com has excellent streaming from the school showing the damage. Fort Rucker has 2 medevac choppers in the parking lot presumablky waiting for 2 vicitims. great feed. tons of damage. Looks very bad on camera.

CNN is now reporting what is possibly a "large tornado on the ground near Tuscaloosa Airport, moving NE. Damage has been confirmed in the area. Looking at the radar image as it was going over that area, I am not surprised. There was a very tight and obvious couplet as well as a hook.

Alot of rotating sups but only a few tornadoes. I know this is a great thing but whats keeping the lid on the tornadoes?

Tuscaloosa-Birmingham supercell

DANGEROUS supercell moving from Tuscaloosa towards Birmingham right. This storm has turned right, has an ENE storm motion....VERY favorable for large tornadoes. I may have my friend in Birmingham fly south away from this beast.

The radar is about to get a really good look at this thing, we may loose some of the reflectivity detail but it should give us a very good indication of what its got for low level rotation

Edit: Unconfirmed from fox 6 news of 8 deaths in Enterprise

Tuscaloosa may be under the gun again very soon. Tornado warned storm in Pickens county looks to be tracking along the same line the previous storm followed. Bad day for those folks.

That is just terrible. What's your source? I only hope that number is too high.

a radio station there is reporting it

supercell moving directly for birmingham, the meso is off and on, gains strength then weakens a bit. It looks to be getting better organized that last few frames however. sirens going off in downtown Birmingham

8 deaths reported via local radio coming out of Enterprise area. Not completely confirmed yet. Also saying students are still trapped in the gym area. The storm approaching the Birmingham area is showing some fairly intense rotation atleast on that television station radar.

Tuscaloosa may be under the gun again very soon. Tornado warned storm in Pickens county looks to be tracking along the same line the previous storm followed. Bad day for those folks.

Agreed. That cell now has a 40,000 foot tops...pretty impressive considering the rather limited instability and incredible shear. Base reflectivity suggests a very intense storm.

Back