3/1/07 NOW :IL/MO/KS/TN/KY/AL/AR/LA/TX

Is there a Live feed from a Tv station covering this storm?

This Coffee County storm is heading almost directly for the radar site and a large military base (Fort Rucker). I imagine they are already sounding the tornado sirens there. I will look for some obs.

PS: Lets hope this beast does not strike the base head on!! Not to mention the 3" hail that's coming out of it too.

Ozark, AL should be on the lookout. The cell moving toward that town is winding up fast. It has 110kt gtg sheer and a well defined hook. looks like it will be hitting the town head on. If there is a chaser on this cell, it looks like thi8s could be a visible tornado (depending on terrain)

Wow, incredible damage ball signature with the cell going through Enterprise AL rigth now! Very intense couplet on all levels, and the nearest radar is only 20 miles from the tornado. The latest SRV1 scans clearly shows two very intense, yet seperate, couplets. Awesome:

Reflectivity (tilt 1)

SR Velocity (tilt 1) -- note the two intense couplets next to each other
SR Velocity (tilt 2)

It looks like the primary circulation has rotated up into the heavy precipitation. It'll be interesting to see if we get a new circulation in 'textbook' fashion (to the east-southeast of the occludding meso).

The couplet is heading straight for EOX, and it may pass within 2 miles of the radar site.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a Live feed out of Montgomary, AL here it is:

http://www.wsfa.com/

EMA Director Ray Phillips confirmed a reports of a tornado around Rucker Blvd in Enterprise, AL. No word of if the tornado has lifted or not so as of this point its still on the ground. Possible damage at the Enterprise High School.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out what I just found on Fort Rucker. This is in the path of the tornado that is confirmed on the ground. Fort Rucker has a Doppler Radar on site that we are using to view this storm. The base's alias is also known as "Echo".

To carry out our mission, we support a daytime population of about 19,000, including about 8,000 people in uniform, 7,000 civilian and contract employees, and 3,800 military family members.

An eyewitness currently being interviewed on CNN observed a large tornado from the airport at Enterprise. Reports continue to indicate a tornado is on the ground NE of Enterprise, near Ft. Rucker. Scary situation here folks. Keep your fingers crossed and hope everyone found cover in time.

CNN is using GRLevel3 on the air right now to show the Fort Rucker tornado. There is someone on scene, on the base for CNN by phone now. He was doing another story and happens to be there during the tornado.

Tornado sirens are sounding and one of the towers at Ft. Rucker has a tornado in sight.

EDIT: With a little bit of luck, the CNN crew might get some great footage of this storm.

EDIT #2: Numerous reports of a large tornado coming in to the NWS in and around Fort Rucker. 2:43pm EST.

Jeff,

You may already know about this, but with the storm being so close to the radar, you can use the BVEL32 Level3 product to see a higher-res velocity plot for a 32km radius around the radome. It's base velocity as opposed to storm-relative, but you can see a lot more due to the better resolution.

Wow that's the first time I've seen an MD for a specific storm/tornado before.

Do you mind posting an image of the higher res velocity? I would like to see it :)

TWC is reporting the high school in Enterprise has been hit and that students are trapped and there have been injuries. Seeing the damage ball, the strong rotation and hearing the eyewitness report of a large tornado, hearing this report of a school being hit has literally made me feel sick to my stomach. It's such a helpless feeling sitting here watching this unfold while being able to do nothing.

Back