2019-05-28 EVENT: IA/IL/KS/MO/OK/TX

I didn't chase the main target area on this event, due to having surgery the next day (I ended up doing some backyard chasing in IL that afternoon/evening). I had wondered this ever since this event and I'm not sure if this is the place to post it, but I wondered why NWS Wichita and Hastings have the Waldo-Lurray-Tipton tornado event listed as one single long track EF-2 tornado and don't mention any satellites or the fact that from the videos I've seen there were two primary tornadoes (The Waldo tornado that Adam Lucio has awesome video o along with Devin Pitts; which occluded and had a satellite), and then another large tornado that formed northeast and moved toward Tipton, KS that Pecos Hank and Skip Talbot videographed. It even appeared from their vantage point there were 3 tornadoes on the ground at once near Tipton, KS which struck me as rather extraordinary, especially how the far left vortex arced out of the main wall cloud and kinked around.

View attachment 22365

This is the piece written on the setup by NWS Hastings, along with the track map to go along with that.

View attachment 22366

Again I didn't chase this so I don't have any material of my own to contribute (maybe others can step in), but I've never seen a multiple tornado producing supercell like this get recorded in the NCDC storm data as a single long track tornado (in modern times, 2010+).. Just seems like the wrong way to document it. I had wondered this for over 2 years now and just thought if anyone else had any ideas the thinking behind this. Thanks!
I don't know why this tornado was poorly surveyed to be honest

Back