2014 Mobile Data Q&A Thread

After several years on a UMW190 (3G) modem, I made the jump to a Verizon 6620L LTE Jetpack last week. So much of the Plains is now covered by LTE on Verizon, and I sometimes got the feeling with my old modem that I might be missing service entirely by not having the LTE bands (I know it theoretically shouldn't work that way, but there were a couple cases where I was without data and others with LTE phones in the same spot had it).

My first impressions after a couple chases are not quite as favorable as I'd hoped. For years, I'd specifically avoided LTE modems and hotspots because of rampant reports that they had trouble switching between LTE and CDMA service as you crossed in and out of coverage areas. With the 6620L, reviews have been much more positive than for any previous LTE devices, so I bit. Unfortunately, on Saturday in the TX Panhandle, there were a few occasions where my hotspot said "1X" and failed to download GR3 updates, while simultaneously my chase partner with Verizon cell service had LTE on his phone.

I've come to the conclusion that it's simply impossible to beat the reliability of smartphone reception if you're using a Jetpack or modem (at least without antennas and amps). I can't imagine why that's the case, other than that modems/Jetpacks are niche devices for which testing, bug-squashing, perfect firmware, etc. are less financially imperative than on a big-name smartphone. If I could only have one data source on the Plains, it would without a doubt be a Verizon smartphone with hotspot capability. Modems and Jetpacks seem to be a second-class alternative for those of us who don't want year-round Verizon cell service.

That being said, the 6620L still performed well. But for anyone in my situation (questioning whether to continue with a 3G modem this year), be warned that the LTE/CDMA handoff issues still don't seem to be entirely resolved. In one case, when my Jetpack was on 1X and my friend's phone was on LTE, I reset the Jetpack -- sure enough, LTE right away (and we were stationary the whole time). I'm sure a little firmware optimization could resolve this, but evidently there's not enough money in it for Verizon or the OEMs.

My plan is to use the Jetpack in my Wilson Sleek 4G cradle. I bought the jetpack mainly because it will be a good fit. That SHOULD keep a consistent signal across my chase lands! Gulp I hope!

Giving the coverage of 4G anymore, you could always just lock it into 4G to keep it from switching. I actually did that to my UML290 while driving across OK last week. It helped, but did not fix the issue with the disconnects. It is amazing how good the coverage for the phone is compared to the "data only" devices (it should be the same, but it doesnt behave that way). If my jetpack ends up behaving the same way as the USB modem did, I might just go back to the hotspot on my phone again. It is nice having the phone right there as a backup when needed though.

Giving the coverage of 4G anymore, you could always just lock it into 4G to keep it from switching. I actually did that to my UML290 while driving across OK last week. It helped, but did not fix the issue with the disconnects. It is amazing how good the coverage for the phone is compared to the "data only" devices (it should be the same, but it doesnt behave that way). If my jetpack ends up behaving the same way as the USB modem did, I might just go back to the hotspot on my phone again. It is nice having the phone right there as a backup when needed though.
That's a good idea. I'm going to lock to LTE for my next chase and see what happens. If Verizon's coverage map is to be believed, that may well provide me more continuous data than I'm getting with the frequent delays switching bands in fringe areas. It doesn't look like there's a lot of real estate that has solid 3G coverage but lacks LTE.

I have used my 4620L jetpack (for Verizon) on 2 chases now (eastern TX panhandle and western KS) with this antenna - http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/antenna-for-lte/. When doing test with that antenna I was seeing a signal gain of almost 10dBi in my garage. My connection has been almost constant no matter where I have drove. I am quite shocked to how well it has done. It has been a huge improvement over the UML290 datacard it replaced.

I was in a Verizon store the other day to get a sim card. I noticed they have data only plans on a chart on their counter. I believe I saw 10gb for $60 a month, but you still have the $10 or $20 line access on top of that. I asked if that could be done on month to month, and the rep said yes. Might be something for checking out. I think the chart I saw was the same as this (or at least close to it as it is from 2012) -
verizon-shared-data-plan-for-data-only-devices.jpg

I also did some reception testing with me 4620L and that cheap Verizon 4G antenna I linked in my last post. I tested the signal as I drove around my neighborhood in town, which is very close to a tower. Without the antenna I was getting a signal generally around (-70dBm), but as low as (-65dBm). With the antenna it stayed below (-65dBm), but achieved as low as (-55dBm). The rssi percent also ran higher with the antenna attached. It is so nice not having to plug in that USB modem anymore. I have everything wired into my car now (which includes the mifi) so I can just jump in, turn on the mifi and will be ready to roll. The usb modem was always in danger of getting broke off and was an even bigger pain if the external antenna was attached.

I also got a couple of chases under my belt with the 6620L and was extremely impressed with how well it held connection in NW OK, Texas panhandle, SW OK and eastern OK/ Western AR all without any antenna. There were very few spots where I dropped signal but it quickly reconnected and the connection overall was super quick even while streaming. I feel like it was a very good upgrade over the USB760 and I'm wishing I would have made this move a little sooner to save on the grief factor during the first few chases of 2015.

Anyone else with AT&T been blown away by the increase in coverage over the last two years? So far through western/nw Oklahoma and NW TX and much of the panhandle we've not been off of LTE but for a limited time and 3g has been extremely reliable when off of LTE. I had reservations dumping my Verizon jetpack but so far we've not missed it at all.

Anyone else with AT&T been blown away by the increase in coverage over the last two years? So far through western/nw Oklahoma and NW TX and much of the panhandle we've not been off of LTE but for a limited time and 3g has been extremely reliable when off of LTE. I had reservations dumping my Verizon jetpack but so far we've not missed it at all.
I've had AT&T cell service for as long as I've been chasing, and it wasn't very long ago that they were the absolute dog of service providers on the Plains, screwing me over time and time again on chases from KS northward. While they're still fairly weak in the central and northern states, and their relative strength has been TX/OK all along, I'm also surprised at just how good the coverage has been so far this year. On my last few chases, which have all been W OK or the TX PH, I've had to switch over from my Verizon Jetpack to my AT&T phone hotspot several times. Subjectively, I'd say AT&T is getting to be about on-par with Verizon across that region, and it's ideal to have data sources from both in your chase vehicle if possible. Once we get into late May and June and chasing migrates towards I-70 and I-80, though, I'm confident (based on experience the last couple years) that Verizon users will have the last laugh again.

I've had AT&T cell service for as long as I've been chasing, and it wasn't very long ago that they were the absolute dog of service providers on the Plains, screwing me over time and time again on chases from KS northward. While they're still fairly weak in the central and northern states, and their relative strength has been TX/OK all along, I'm also surprised at just how good the coverage has been so far this year. On my last few chases, which have all been W OK or the TX PH, I've had to switch over from my Verizon Jetpack to my AT&T phone hotspot several times. Subjectively, I'd say AT&T is getting to be about on-par with Verizon across that region, and it's ideal to have data sources from both in your chase vehicle if possible. Once we get into late May and June and chasing migrates towards I-70 and I-80, though, I'm confident (based on experience the last couple years) that Verizon users will have the last laugh again.
Agreed, I don't find myself north of 70 much during the spring, but I still keep the jetpack in the car for when I do. The northern Plains is definitely versions strong point.

Back