2014 Mobile Data Q&A Thread

Yes, sadly whilst many Verizon coverage maps show at least 3G in NW OK we all know that getting any signal around most of that region and NW NEB is pretty hard if not non existent.
Is there a pay as you go plan (with no contract agreement) which gives roaming between networks?

Yes, sadly whilst many Verizon coverage maps show at least 3G in NW OK we all know that getting any signal around most of that region and NW NEB is pretty hard if not non existent.
Is there a pay as you go plan (with no contract agreement) which gives roaming between networks?
Thankfully, there is. At least, I know you can sign up month-to-month (no contract) with a USB modem. There may be some restriction where used Jetpacks can only do prepaid plans, but I can't remember for sure.

My suggestion would be to buy two things on eBay: a cheap USB modem, and a Cradlepoint router to create a WiFi hotspot with it. The combined cost should still be under $100, so no more expensive than a Jetpack. You can then sign up with no contract for the full Verizon service that includes roaming ($50/mo. for 4 GB).

I agree with Brett. I've been using an old Pantech UM175 3G modem with Verizon's M2M plan. Paired it with an amp and it has worked quite well for the past few years. I'm currently looking into cradlepoint routers because at times I do lose connection to the modem when it is plugged into one of my usb slots.

Only major issue I have had with Verizon is the fact that the device can only be seasonally suspended for 6 months out of the year. Several times they have continued to suspend it with billing without my knowledge (until the bill arrives). So, that has been a bit of a hassle.

I did research the pay as you go plan and they informed me that only their Jetpacks would work with that plan. May not be a bad option either.

I think I'm finally ready to graduate from the UMW190 to an XLTE-capable device, and I'm strongly leaning toward the 6620L Jetpack. Couple questions for anyone who uses MiFi hotspots directly through Verizon, month-to-month:

- If you walk into a Verizon store and ask to activate a hotspot, will they give you the SIM card for free? If not, how much?

- If you buy used (i.e., eBay), can you be sure any Verizon hotspot will work with their M2M plans? My concern is that there are separate prepaid plans (which I believe have reduced coverage area), and I don't want to end up with one that's only eligible for that. At the same time, I'd also prefer to avoid the $199.99+tax that Verizon wants for new ones in-store.

As long as you go to a retail Verizon store, the SIM card should be free. Has been for me in the past. Just be sure it as a clean ESN and that it was not a prepaid one to be safe. You can occasionally find people who know how to actually put a good description up so you are sure what you are buying. Rare, but it does happen.

Eventually I'll upgrade to 4g but I still use a pantech 5750 card (3g Verizon) with a wilson machine to machine amp (#81125) and very rarely drop data anywhere.

Anyone considering getting on the More Everything plan at Verizon (for those of us without unlimited data plans), you can add a data card for only 20 bucks a month. I was able to switch to the 10GB plan and keep my cost about the same, as I am stuck with a 3rd contract line I was not using anyways. We are only using about 2GB between 2 lines recently, so that leaves me 8GB of data to chase on each month. You just need to catch when they are doing their data specials for the best prices. I am not sure how it works though when you are not on a line contract, if you can just turn the device on and off. You might have to pay a reconnect fee each time (just leave it connected for April May June and the disconnect if anything). You can easily change your data plan up and down for however much data you need, so if you are already a Verizon customer this is definitely the best way to go. You can pick up the 4G Pantech UML-290 for $5-10 bucks on ebay, just be sure it has a clean ESN.

I've got the same thing you do Wes. More everything plan, 10GB data, Galaxy S5 and 4620L hotspot and I'm paying I think $140ish a month, about the same I paid before with 450 minutes and unlimited data. I still haven't used 10GB or even come close.

Hi folks,
Despite the very informative posts above, I can't really get my head around what could be a good deal for us, coming from France for our 4 weeks chasecations. Millenicom is gone in 2015 and everything seems so much more complicated now!
Tell me if I'm wrong : the only network to consider for good coverage is Verizon. Depending on that, our options would be :
  • Verizon jetpack prepaid plan : only 3Gb of data available in the first place (not really sure how to refill then), and only one compatible device which is only 4G capable. Kind of a deal breaker as I imagine 4G coverage is still far from 3G coverage.
  • Straight Talk : their ZTE hotspot devices don't get a good press on forums and the connection is throttled to 3Mb on download, not really 4G as claimed...
  • Telecom Square : provides a Verizon hotspot rental with supposedly unlimited data but for quite a lot of money! (400$ if you want to know).
  • daypasswireless : also rental, and less expensive, but only 250Mb/day, which could be a problem on long chase days. And not much info about the company...

Any suggestions for a better deal when coming from abroad?

Thanks!

So....is it worth the $20 to add the aircard? Right now I am on the verizon plan and tether my iphone to my laptop for data. Verizon allows it with the more everything plan. Whats the advantage of spending the $20 a month for the separate card???

Just thinking out loud here

Hi guys,
admittedly I haven't trawled through all of the post in this thread because they are maybe not that relevant to my question?

AT&T are now boasting coverage to rival Verizon! Though when I look closer I see that they might mean 4G specifically? ...Now whilst 4G is great when you can get it, most of my past storms tend to avoid 4G locations like people would avoid a shark in a swimming pool!....The reality quite often will see me and other chasers using at best 3G coverage or less when and if you can get a signal.
Because I fly in each year from the UK I tend to rent a Verizon mifi via rental companies. Though most rental companies do not seem to offer a mag mount antenna option? .....On occasions out on the plains I have parked next to other chasers with antennas with the same mifi and network but I see nothing and they get a basic level signal?..In short using an antenna might go well beyond a must. In fact maybe we need to make it very clear that an antenna can and often will make all the difference! I used a cradle point last year and it helped a bit but nothing on the direct plug in antenna option.

Anyway back to my first question; Is AT&T now any better for 3G coverage than a couple of years ago?

PS. All aside I did have a very bad experience last year with Verizon customer services; Bought, online a Verizon mifi with pre pay plan and asked for it to be delivered to my first hotel. The day before I was getting my flight I got an email saying that my order was cancelled because they thought it was bogus when I didn't respond to their call to my first hotel???? Derrrr ? In fact they just passed me from one extension to the next with no one able to sort the problem? ...very bad customer service (opinion). Had to use an old pantech usb wifi dongle and paid through the roof using Walmart data cards!! :(

Last edited:
I'm not really addressing any previous questions here specifically. Just a general FYI:

See my earlier post from last year, and there are a couple of minor updates. One is that chaser friend Bill Robertson from ABQ got himself the exact same Verizon Jetpack last spring as I use. We then went out and chased eastern NM on June 7. I had uninterrupted data all day long, or maybe 95%, I don't recall exactly, whereas Bill's service failed him so badly a few days later he returned the Jetpack for a refund. I have NO IDEA why it failed. We have discussed it back and forth a few times and have NO ANSWER. We were both using the exact same setup, essentially; GRL3, no antennas, no amps, Windows computers.... I/we just can't come up with anything.

Getting data for me has become something I don't even think about any more. When I saw this thread it was like "we still need a thread for this in 2015?"

The second update is that a couple months ago I saw that Verizon's coverage map now indicates coverage in NW OK. I confirm, at least along Hwy11. I drove along 11 from I-35 to Hwy34 between Alva and Buffalo Wednesday and never had a late radar update (GRL3). Same thing up to Coldwater, etc. Maybe I have some magical Jetpack that was blessed by the Pope. Beats me.

*edit Somebody asked about a 4G device possibly being incompatible with 3G, and as far as I know that is NEVER an issue. The 4G Jetpack MiFi works with 3G for sure and I think even 2G. You'd think I was a Verizon rep, but no, of course not.

Last edited:
So....is it worth the $20 to add the aircard? Right now I am on the verizon plan and tether my iphone to my laptop for data. Verizon allows it with the more everything plan. Whats the advantage of spending the $20 a month for the separate card???

Just thinking out loud here

Having a separate card/device will free up your phone and potentially get you a better signal. Before 4G, if a call came in while you were on data, it would kill that data to let the call get through. May not be an issue now unless you ended up back in a 3G area. I had an extra line that was stuck under contract through the end of the year, so it was an easy decision for me as I was spending the extra $20 already. If it is not under contract I assume you would be able to cancel that line at anytime, though I bet there is a $30/$35 line connect fee at the beginning. Would just have to ask Verizon. If you are on the More Everything plan, you can do the wifi hotspot for free now too. If your phone works for you, no need in spending extra money that could just go to chasing.

For the first few chases this year, I have been using my Pantech UML290 usb aircard. It just seemed to be unstable with holding a connection out on the highway. Last time I had used one was before 4G was everywhere in the Plains, but the other day it seemed to bounce between 3G and 4G way too often. I had data through a decent amount of western OK, but it was filled with constant disconnects. This lead me to break down and get a mifi device, as they cost the same on the More Everything plan. I somehow ended up buying 3 of them so I would be sure to get one that I like and that works. I got 1 4510L and 2 4620L, figured I would just sell the ones I dont use on Craigslist. I am hoping for a more stable connection now, but I might break down and get an antenna to give it a little boost. Still have hopes of getting my dome streaming this year or I probably wouldnt waste my time, but I do need something to keep me distracted between chases.

Cool thanks for the wisdom Wesley.

I am on the More Everything Plan, and have a Iphone 5s (which wont allowing calling and data at the same time). So I just bought a jetpack of ebay and will use that apart from my phone for the rest of this chase season and reevaluate next year!

I've been using the USB760 verizon card the last few years with a Rockies amp direct connected, but really struggling with the disconnects and sloooow service even when fully connected. I've been thinking about going to a Mifi jetpack if only to get away from the wires, but I'm really hoping to get stonger, more consistent connection mostly for streaming. I still think if I went this route I'd still need a signal booster to get the connection I'm looking for, but it sounds like a wireless amp for 4GLTE may be still aways off according to earlier posts, so maybe a 3G wireless amp would help with this setup, I'm just not sure.

It sounds like going to a Mifi would be a good move to start with though. Appreciate the input you guys have given.

Back