06/09/05 TALK: High Plains

Have Bill Mudd (our SoCal friend) on the phone, racing to catch up wih the Graham Co KS storm on I-70 . Looks very strong at this point, pushing VIL of 75, with good signs of rotation on the S edge. Really hope he catches something!!

Have a question. what is a Closed Low ? It's dicussed in KDMX AFD

url] http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?site=d...FDDMX&format=ci

"HOWEVER THE LATEST GFS RUNS HAVE INDICATED MORE OF A CLOSED LOW
RATHER THAN AN OPEN TROF WHICH IS ACTING TO SLOW ITS MOVEMENT. AT
THE MOMENT...I'M FINDING IT DFCLT TO BLV A CLOSED LOW WL FORM IN
THIS SITUATION AS THE TROF LIFTS OUT TWDS A PERSISTENT ERN RDG. SO
THE OUTER FCST PDS ARE HOLDING STDY WITH THE ENDING PCPN TIMING
REMAINING THE SAME." :?[[/url]

Ryan McGinnis just gave me a call and said his dad passed the DOW truck coming north out of Hastings. Checked their page. Sure enough, it says that they are sitting in Grand Island.
Darren Addy
Kearney, NE

There's now an MD discussing SVR for N. NE and S. SD...not worth sending a DOW truck to, I'd think?

Ryan McGinnis just gave me a call and said his dad passed the DOW truck coming north out of Hastings. Checked their page. Sure enough, it says that they are sitting in Grand Island.
Darren Addy
Kearney, NE

There's now an MD discussing SVR for N. NE and S. SD...not worth sending a DOW truck to, I'd think?

Nah, I think they were headed down I-80 west to try to get down to either Kansas or intercept the stuff moving into southcentral Nebraska. The winds are backing into that storm in NC Kansas, but not further north. Looks like the stuff popping in Nebraska is intense, but pretty cluttered at the moment.

Time is in MDT for the Local Storm Report and CDT for the Severe Weather Statement
0305 PM TORNADO 5 NNE SAINT PETER 39.26N 100.05W
06/09/2005 GRAHAM KS STORM CHASER

AT 405 PM CDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO 5 MILES
NORTH-NORTHEAST OF ST PETER MOVING NORTHEAST AT 15 MPH.

THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...
PENOKEE AND HILL CITY AROUND 415 PM CDT
Mike

Anybody heard any groud-truth reports from the Graham county KS storm??

Storm looks to have transitioned to a right-moving (ENE moving) supercell and has developed a classic hook. This storm may be transitioning to HP.

KR

Reports coming in now that the Graham County KS storm has produced:

http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KGLD/0506092111.wwus53.html

I was wondering if it would manage or not as it is apparently just north of the outflow boundary up there. A number of small cells are starting to form in a line to the southwest - so tough to say how much longer it will be able to produce.

A few more isolated cells trying to get going further south towards the OK panhandle. Maybe one of these will get established.

Glen

Wow, I hope Tim and Gene stay the heck outta the hailcore in the Kansas storm they're on... if that thing isn't putting down baseballs or bigger, I'll be shocked. The VIL is pegged solid in the core... for like 50 square miles.

Yes the Graham county storm looked like it had long-track potential - but then I began to see a lot of smaller cells forming ot its south and southwest and moving up and colliding with its area of circulation/hook.

The chances are that it is being seeded now and getting crashed into. It will likely wrap up into a big HP monster very soon.

I was also wondering what sort of 500mb flow this thing has to work with. RUC says it can't be any more than about 35kts upstairs. I have no doubt, however, looking at velocity images, that it did tornado at least once.

KR

6/9

Gorgeous classic supercell on I-70 with 86 kts of shear on base velocity scan. Could be a large or strong tornado associated with this one. Might be a long lived storm if it can continue to the right of the mean wind and get ahead of southern convection.

Latest Local Storm Reports from the Goodland Office. Time is MDT
0331 PM TORNADO 1 S OBERLIN 39.81N 100.53W
06/09/2005 DECATUR KS EMERGENCY MNGR

0325 PM TORNADO 5 WSW HILL CITY 39.34N 99.93W
06/09/2005 GRAHAM KS PUBLIC

Severe Weather Statement:
AT 430 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR AND STORM
SPOTTERS WERE TRACKING A LARGE TORNADO. THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED
ABOUT 5 MILES SOUTHWEST OF HILL CITY...MOVING EAST-NORTHEAST AT 20
MPH.

HEAVY RAINFALL MAY OBSCURE THIS TORNADO.
Mike

Cripes... I think Hill City is probably getting hail like it's never seen before right now. And the hook is passing jusssst to the south of it. It's going to be a real close shave. The couplet on radar is immense and strong... hope there are no casualties on this one.

Holy crap, this storm is a monster on radar. Reminds me of the Hallam storm's signature when looking from Hastings.

Back