06/09/05 TALK: High Plains

Ryan McGinnis just gave me a call and said his dad passed the DOW truck coming north out of Hastings. Checked their page. Sure enough, it says that they are sitting in Grand Island.

This strikes me as interesting, since Grand Island is north and east of the watch box that the SPC has issued. So what are they looking at that the SPC isn't looking at?

EDIT: Are they following an outflow boundary from this morning's storms?

Darren Addy
Kearney, NE

Cbs exploding now near DDC and along I-70 in northern Gove county.

First blip on radar in southwest KS is there in southeastern Ford county.

Looks like the big long t-box may verify this time.....

KR

Gove county is beautiful chasing ground. I used to live in lane county to the south. Western Kansas has virtually no trees, and is as flat as a pancake.

Gr3 is showing TVS already with decatur county storm. Right near oberlin.

Very glad west side of OB has stalled invof DDC. Construciton on CO 71 southbound slowed me badly

Should've read my chase report from June 2nd haha. Good luck out there today guys, looks to be a decent set-up. The low-level moisture and instability will guarantee storms....the 30-35 knot 500mb flow concerns me and the backing of the jet winds isn't helpful either. I saw the NCAR WRF run this morning and it struggles to break the cap further south, but we'll see how it truly plays out.

Bill Mudd wrote:
nearing goodland and my radar is without guidance - looks to be a favorable dryline if initiation isnt too late.....
is the Colby target still a go?

I would probably position even little further east at this point - perhaps closer to Wakeeney, based on where moisture seems to be converging, and low level wind shear picking up. Good luck to you!

Seems like mid-level flow was about the same yesterday and those storms still managed to explode ... hopefully the same will happen for the chasers today. May not get super long-lived tors, but they should be out there somewhere under all that CAPE! - Have fun ... time to gear up for tomorrow on this end.

I can't chase today (work.... ugh), but FWIW, my dad saw the DOW Rapid Scan zipping west down I-80 just west of Grand Island, Nebraska at about 2:20PM.

KFOR

Magic of an outflow boundary...the storm is moving WNW!!! Pancake stack meso, looks beautiful on KFOR, rotation isn't extremely fast but moving into better shear so could be tornadic eventually.

EDIT: Larger storm now catching some of the mean wind and has slowed down...appears to be backbuilding along the OFB and is nearly stationary yet drifting north. Snyder just took off for it.

:shock:

A ficticious ten bucks says that that Dewey county OK storm goes on to tornado like crazy.

Current obs in its vicinity - 75/71 with SE or SSE winds. :shock:

Ahhhhh........the sweet smell of another Norman "gotcha" storm.

I still can't chase it - my butt's glued to the office chair.

KR

Dewey County storm is on the downward slide now. Tops have come down a ton and VIL is back into the mid 20s. It provided a nice show for a few minutes at least.

Red box just issued for west Texas. So tempting to fly east on I-40...but plan on waiting until tomorrow. :)

EDIT: New storm between Vici and Seiling appears to be one to watch now. Cloud tops nearing 50K with VIL steadily increasing.

That cell about 75 miles east of Goodland, Kansas is really getting cranked up now. I see it's TOR warned... if Doppler is to be believed, it looks like it's for a good reason. :)

Tim and Gene are on the storm just southwest of Hill City KS. They report it is gorgeous.

I was looking at the surface up there and they seem to have a 88oF/66oF environment to work with. I wonder if a 22oF T/Td spread will be overcome for any tornadoes? It's a big spread.......it's unfortunate that that area was really worked over this morning by the outflow from the previous nights' storms.

KR

Back