05/11/05 Talk: Central/Southern Plains

I'm not sure what's going on along the dryline, and why they are falling apart as the head north. RUC indicates slightly lower dewpoints (55 vs 60)
in that area with CAPE quickly falling to around 1000 J/kg after sunset.
There is an outflow boundary associated with a bow echo-ish squall south of Imperial slowly pushing east/ESE overtaking the dryline close to Goodland right now that may help strengthen the cells, but probably will be after dark before any interaction. The cell between Scott City and Leoti does appear to be slowly strengthing with more cells growing to the south of it west of Ulysses.
If only the steering winds could have been more westerly to push the cells into more juicy air before sunset :(

Currently in Osborne, Kansas. Have been watching some TCU going up and down all afternoon. The best TCU occurred earlier this afternoon north of Salina. Otherwise, nothing to speak of. It's really looked capped since about 5, and things certainly don't look to be changing much. The OFB or whatever it is slowly working southwestward into nc KS has been plowing convection all afternoon, and don't see any reason for this to change.

The crappy year of 2002 continues. Two cap busts in a row now, and another 'particularly disappointing situation'... All indices were awesome earlier this afternoon (STP 4-5, SCP 10-20, EHIs 4-6, incredible wind profiles, etc), but none of those matter if storms can't develop. The last thing I thought today was that we'd be cap busted.

Oddly enough, the DDC 0z sounding showed only 22CINH, certainly pretty easy to break. No real representative sounding for the MDT risk area up here, though.

Well, I am sure glad I chickened out at the last minute now. I saw those red boxes go up, then I saw the PDS and I breathed a sigh of relief :lol: But in all seriousness, this seems more and more like 2002 with each passing day. I might add, though, that I wouldn't be suprised that with all the days we've been so close to having the big one, I wouldn't be shocked to see one day just be huge. Of course right now, we are 1/14.

Otherwise, convection has tried to go up from W KS to TX Pnhdl the last hour or so and a lot of it was killed before it could get going. Although one cell NW of DDC has a nice hook on it at this time..

Derek Shaffer is saying KAKE out of wichita is reporting a "large wedge tornado" on the ground NE of Ulysses, KS. Storm to the north west of G.C. is reporting debris on the ground. Garden city is in the path with the ulysses storm. Northern storm scott city, possibly dighton kansas. "large wall cloud" storm spotters are reporting with both storms.

EDIT: Very well- defined tornado on the ground.....northeast of ulysses..........holcomb in path, lakin, deerfield possibly.....garden city...

I hope there's some chasers still left in WRN KS. It seems most got pulled into NE early on by the WF activity and I'm afraid many will miss the real show that's ongoing now farther S.

tornado on the ground.........near town of Friend..........derek is saying....... or 15 miles s of scott city........northern cell........is visible through lightning......between friend and chevron through stormtrack team Eyewitness KAKE out of wichita......moving NE ..

Though smaller than some of the storms up north... It looks Very impressive. I would love to see this at night. I am surprised no reports out of GC now? :?

Dick, I saw the TVS a bit earlier. It dissipated on the next scan, but had low level gate to gate of 111 knots at one point. That's getting with it.

Looks like this thing is on the outskirts of Garden City now. I am not seeing any well defined couplets on radar, but there's bound to be something there. I don't always trust the radar and if DDC and Mike Umscheid think there's tornado potential, I'll trust his word.

yeah mike is good, has his hands full tonight!! trying to get reports.......gr 3 is showing nothing..........there should be a lot of eyes on this thing......

gr level 3 showing 1.5 hail...........getting reports of softball size hail on cherokee street..........5 blocks to east of old house.... stronger rotation....gr showing....

OK, looks like the cell that went through Garden City has weakened significantly in the last few scans. But there is now new storms that have fired S of Colby, KS and down to just the E of Syracuse. It'll be interesting to see if any of these can manage anything. But it appears they may be trying to go linear quickly.

I just hope some folks stuck it out down in WRN KS today and managed to see some of this earlier activity. Being a few I know haven't checked in yet, I am hopeful that is the case.

Back