05/11/05 Talk: Central/Southern Plains

The Leavenworth storm had a really good hook on radar for a moment. Le sigh. I'm not moving until the next Day One revision. Probably will be my downfall today.

Getting ready to head out from Lincoln shortly. The plan for now is to get to the 281 corridor south of Hastings (shooting for Red Cloud) and play it from there. That's about as good as I can do without getting fired. Parameters are going through the roof.......looking for a full-blown explosion on the border (Total Jinx!).

See you all out there!

Ben Prusia and I are currently on I-70 20 miles east of Hays. We are going to try to get close to the triple point and will probably play the warm front up north but are also still considering the dryline. We will make a decision in a hour or two.. Everything looks like it's really starting to come together for a big day.

Good Luck to all!

Just got back to STJ from chasing the Leavenworth/Platte Co. cell ... quite a nice wall cloud with wicked inflow rapidly moving up into the base for a while ... downdraft on that cell was a total *%#, though ... what a mess. Didn't want it to distract me any more from heading out to clearer air to the west, though ... this cell was just a warm-up ... man I'm tired already.

Another cell seems to be coming in to northwestern Leavenworth county. I can see a nice shelf cloud due west of the Post right now. Don't know about its internal features--what a time to have all my software tools at home and me at work! I also don't know enough yet (beginner still) to accurately interpret what I'm seeing on the DuPage site, but there's a hook-ish look to this cell.

Originally posted by Damon Scott Hynes
Gorilla hail? Gorilla on steroids...

Four and a quarter?

1841 425 BRUNSWICK CHARITON MO 3942 9313 (EAX)

That's gotta hurt...

ANOTHER report of 4.25" hail...

"1920 425 HARRISBURG BOONE MO 3914 9246 (LSX)"

:shock:

lawrence

Thick, muggy here in Lawrence, KS, 85 degrees at my house, dark clouds off to the north and west, sun peeking through to the south.

Originally posted by Mike Johnston
Just heard that the sirens were going off in Liberty, MO. After chasing Nebraska Saturday and Iowa yesterday, I think I'll play this one out on my back deck.

That's the same cell that's been TOR warned for the past half hour. Slowly moving off to the east.

wish i was in my old hometown of Garden city/dighton area right now. New mesoscale discussion suggests a tornado watch within the hour. If anyone needs a nowcaster, pm me, i know the terrain fairly well. Good luck to all, bag that monster.

I went outside to watch that cell that just passed over Ft. Leavenworth. I saw from my window some minor horizontal rotation (could've been something tricking me, though), and some large-scale vertical rotation (again). I stepped out in front of our building (looking north and east), and watch as the flag changed position a couple of times (not fitful breezes, either, but stronger direction changes). This cell is moving across the Missouri into Platte county again. There was no precipitation with it when it passed over, and no apparent lightning.

Originally posted by Dick McGowan
wish i was in my old hometown of Garden city/dighton area right now. New mesoscale discussion suggests a tornado watch within the hour. If anyone needs a nowcaster, pm me, i know the terrain fairly well. Good luck to all, bag that monster.

That PDS Tor. Watch has just been posted. Looks like right in many people's taret areas (and mine if I was able to chase this afternoon) of north central KS and south central NE.

Satellite imagery shows towers already going up. Good luck to those of you out there. Looks like they expect this to be a good show.

Back