01/02/05: NOW: Midwest into the Gulf

Another apparent tornado has just hit in Lincoln County, KY about 15 minutes ago:

0450 PM TORNADO MCKINNEY 37.45N 84.77W
01/02/2006 LINCOLN KY LAW ENFORCEMENT

TORNADO TOUCHDOWN IN MCKINNEY. STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AND
SEVERAL MOBILE HOMES TURNED OVER. ALSO GOLFBALL HAIL.

I saw the local tv radar and it was showing what was probably 100 knt gate to gate at the time this was happening.

This could be bad. The storm closest to Atlanta crossed I-85 with a nice couplet. Although a holiday, I am sure the interstate was crowded with travelers. I suspect that area is also fairly well developed with urban sprawl. The other storms to the southwest are also approaching the interstate.

Bill Hark

No tornado reports as of yet...arent these storms doing anything?

I'm in southern Clayton county right now and we are experiencing intermittent periods of approximately quarter size hail. There is not much lightning with this storm. Those traveling to the Sugar Bowl are in for an interesting drive.

Local television is reporting strong lowerings and a possible debris field in Fulton county ~15 minutes ago, but there are no images to correlate it. Does anyone know of a downtown ATL webcam?

It looks like the supercell near Jackson, and Griffin, GA is starting to develop a hook echo region. Rotation is very tight at about 2.3 NM. Hail there is about 1 inch.

Looks like Kentucky was the area that got crushed worst today. Reading reports of major damage...including significant damage in Luisville proper.

No tornado reports as of yet...arent these storms doing anything?

0450 PM TORNADO MCKINNEY 37.45N 84.77W
01/02/2006 LINCOLN KY LAW ENFORCEMENT

TORNADO TOUCHDOWN IN MCKINNEY. STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AND
SEVERAL MOBILE HOMES TURNED OVER. ALSO GOLFBALL HAIL.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0325 PM TORNADO LOUISVILLE 38.22N 85.74W
01/02/2006 JEFFERSON KY BROADCAST MEDIA

POSSIBLE TORNADO TOCUHDOWN ON CAMPGROUND ROAD. NUMEROUS
REPORTS OF STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AND TREES DOWN.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0342 PM TORNADO COLUMBIA 37.10N 85.31W
01/02/2006 ADAIR KY LAW ENFORCEMENT

POLICE REPORT TORNADO ON GROUND.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0320 PM TORNADO LEBANON JUNCTION 37.83N 85.73W
01/02/2006 BULLITT KY LAW ENFORCEMENT

TORNADO ON GROUND JUST EAST OF LEBANON JUNCTION.

0310 PM TORNADO HODGENVILLE 37.57N 85.74W
01/02/2006 LARUE KY LAW ENFORCEMENT

POSSIBLE TORNADO TOUCHDOWN. HOME DESTROYED ON MUFORDVILLE
ROAD IN HODGENVILLE.

0302 PM TORNADO ELIZABETHTOWN 37.70N 85.87W
01/02/2006 HARDIN KY AMATEUR RADIO

TORNADO TOUCHDOWN NEAR KROGER. STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AT
BLUEGRASS MIDDLE SCHOOOL.

0248 PM TORNADO ELIZABETHTOWN 37.70N 85.87W
01/02/2006 HARDIN KY LAW ENFORCEMENT

POSSIBLE TORNADO ON GROUND NEAR US31W. STRUCTURAL DAMAGE
NEAR THOMAS AND ST JOHN ROADS.

It appears to me that these storms have done quite enough already. BTW mods, if the posting of these LSR's violate the policy of these threads, feel free to remove my post. But I figured they helped answer the question asked by Kevin.

sorry for not clarifying George...i meant GA..

Gotcha.

There were some excellent signatures on some of those Georgia storms. As to whether or not they produced, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Sometimes these reports get delayed, depending on where they hit.

Several nice TOR-warned supercells in central GA (with at least 1000 j/kg of SBCAPE / 250 m2/s2 0-1km SRH invof supercells). The storms in KY should slowly continue to weaken as inflow layers are becoming elevated and CINH strengthens through diabatic sfc cooling. At any rate, the day ended up pretty decent for my focus area (KY).

The GA storms are not giving up...they are going to try to last as long as they can...they just keep on rolling. A supercell in Monroe county, near Foresyth, GA is having a very strong reflectivity max, and is creating a very well defined hook echo. This storm has very nice low level rotation. It looks like this storm is not going to go out quietly...without producing a tornado...or at least trying to...the signatures are all very strong and pointing to one thing...

Back