01/02/05: NOW: Midwest into the Gulf

Tornado warning has just been issued for part of upper FL, near Wewahitchka, and Panima City, and for a good reason too. There is an extremely strong Low-Level Meso-Cyclone passing just due east of Panama City, FL with a TVS marker near it. I'm going to assume that perhaps it had a history of waterspouts as it was passing over the water. It looks like the rotation is stretching all the way up into the storm tower, all the way down into the base...I would say a tornado has pretty good chances of forming here.

Athens/ NE Ga

60 degrees, low gray sky, a steady rain with an occasional thunderclap - been pretty much like that all morning.

Dont see a real chance of anything happening this far north or at least not until it's too dark to see

Anyone still looking at Ga - I think if you got yourself to Dublin or McRae you might see something in daylight. Too far for me to get to and be back at work in Athens this evening. Good luck, stay safe, and keep us posted

Oh well

Still could be some interesting action today (and redevelopment in AL, maybe need to look at lapse rates.) That cell in FL looks okay though it's not a whole lot of g2g if it did have a tornado on the ground there is a pretty good chance it's rain wrapped.

if it did have a tornado on the ground there is a pretty good chance it's rain wrapped.

I can assure that..the fog from earlier this morning has yet to completely burn off..Im in Lake Park, GA now waiting...

Mike

Linear activity firing from around Evansville, Indiana to around Bowling Green, Ky. with storms firing ahead of the line in outflow region. Strongest of these storms appeared to have passed over the town of Santa Claus(no joke) I believe in Indiana.

Looking like a possible split and right mover in Grayson County KY. It’s starting to show some rotation.

I still think there is a possibility of re-development as the CF approaches in AL but the some drying and a strong cap could preclude re-development. Low level lapse rates are more acceptable in this region and RUC does break out precip between 19z-21z. The complex starting to move out of GA has left quite a cold pool in it's wake which will be hard to recover from.

I am very interested in that isolated storm near Edmonton, KY. It has had a supercellular appearance on reflectivity for the past several scans, but BV shows no couplet at all. SRV does show a couplet and there is a 3dc shear marker corresponding with the couplet and reflectivity hook.

Edit: My GR level 3 base velocity was just slow to update to the 1:43 scan, which did show a small couplet in the SW quadrant of the storm. :!:

Would not be surprised to see a TOR if this trend continues.

Of course...the storms to the north, embedded in the MCS, show MUCH stronger couplets and are the first to display a TVS/TOR warning.

Couple nice couplets now, espically on the northern supercell where a small, deep and strong mesocyclone is present and 100kts g2g in the low levels. Though it looks like these cells won't survive to much longer.

edit: on the ground. ALSO...BUILDING DAMAGE WAS REPORTED BETWEEN THOMAS AND SAINT JOHN ROADS ON THE SOUTHWEST SIDE OF TOWN. THE TORNADO WAS MOVING NORTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

Yeah...I imagine there is strong tornadogenesis going on near Radcliffe/Lebanon Junction, KY because there was a hook, in which developed near both of those towns, but now it looks like the extreme echo is being broken up by something. It is traversing over a elevated topographical region in KY, perhaps that is destroying the rotation...

Back