01/02/05: NOW: Midwest into the Gulf

Some development now in GA. Not a whole lot of heating has taken place and lapse rates remain quite low but SRH is very strong and a WF which should be an interesting interaction. Storms also firing along convergence area into AL. SBCAPE of upwads of 2,000 J/KG there and 250-300 0-3km SRH with little CINH remaining.

EDIT: Storms intensfying.. Northern supercell on a direct heading for Atlanta, GA on of the most populated cities in the nation...

WEBCAMS: http://www.wxnation.com/atlanta/

It appears the Jefferson County, kY area may have had a touchdown also:

0325 PM TORNADO LOUISVILLE 38.22N 85.74W
01/02/2006 JEFFERSON KY BROADCAST MEDIA

POSSIBLE TORNADO TOCUHDOWN ON CAMPGROUND ROAD. NUMEROUS
REPORTS OF STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AND TREES DOWN.

The isolated supercell that is heading towards Fulton County, GA (Atlanta) is developing a moderatly defined hook echo on the SW side of it...I hope this does not hit Atlanta, or anywhere....this looks pretty bad...

EDIT: A tornado warning has just been issued for that isolated supercell....

Those elevated cell in SW MI are moving pretty slow... I just extrapolated one storm, and it's moving at 12KNTS with an SVR out. Reports show pea sized hail up in that area, with a bit larger hail in northern IN... RUC soundings indicate that the elevated layer is up around 850MB with 300-600J/KG of CAPE over SW MI and northern IN. Other than that, I don't expect too much.

I thought that area of Cu forming in central to western GA looked suspicious. Still ahead of the front with SE winds and high dewpoints. I wasn't sure if the atmosphere would recover in time from the previous convection but it did.

Bill Hark

Palmetto, GA looks like they are under an urgent tornado situation. There is a very strong tight, Low-Level mesocyclone right over palmetto with a very well constructed couplet bearing on them.

Unusual impact from this event - a lightning strike is suspected of causing an explosion at a coal mine in Upshur County, WV this morning. 13 miners are still trapped underground.

Back