Your Best Lightning Shot to date...

Amazing ohotos everyone! I have a recent shot to add to the thread. This was taken after a 3 hour wait for the perfect shot, on the 28'th of September 2010 from the Coffs Harbour Jetty. I've got heaps of other shots on my deviantart in my sig :)

IMG_1526copy800.jpg

I love shots of CG's leaping from the side of a storm. Great photo!

Not sure if I would call this my best to date, but it certainly ranks as one of the best for 2011, a year to which I haven't had many chances to shoot lightning. I'd also add this to my sunset gallery..

20110829light_03.jpg

Limon, Colorado - August 29, 2011

Last edited:
i shot this one about 3 weeks ago right out my front step. it was a pretty high based, low precip storm, that spit out some impressive lightning. there weren't a lot of strikes, but those that came out were sharp and followed by an immediate deafening boom of thunder. i didn't feel safe, that's for sure!! i of course missed a couple of other great ones, but was glad i caught this one

140.JPG

One of My Best Lightning Photos

This is one of my best lightning photos for this year, shot during our drought breaking storm on 9/18/2011. It looks overhead and South and is photographed in Richardson TX, a suburb of Dallas.

Attachments

• Splitting Sky 9-2011-Storm Track.jpg
    Splitting Sky 9-2011-Storm Track.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 127
Haven't always had the best luck with lightning. Finally happened to be shooting in the right direction time and location to capture this, a full wide 14mm frame on my D700:
Near Parkes, NSW Australia on the 29/11/2011
Crawler of the Dish:
crawlerofthedishweb.jpg

Wow, so many great photos, great thread. As for me, I love shooting lightning also, but compared to some of these photos, I don't know.... Still over the past few years I have managed a couple decent ones, this one however has always been my favorite. This photo was taken during a tornadic storm early one morning. The warning was issued for a tornado about 30 or so miles to my southwest, but instead of chasing after it, the lighting was awesome, so decided to shoot lightning instead ( I still felt that was the best decision as I'm don't think there ever was a tornado from this particular storm). The lightning struck about 1/2 mile away. What I also love about this photo is how it the lightning lit up the tops of the corn.

attachment.php

attachment.php

so many epic photos of lightning here is my small contribution to the grouop.

5830023809_4ca9e192ee_b.jpg

Kansas Lightning Show - 8/18/2011

Love all the composites and renderings in this thread - I could spend hours browsing these! These are my favorite shots from a chase last June. We followed two non-tornadic supercells across Kansas until darkness fell, and then found a nice field to watch the lightning show. None of them are composites though - what you see is what happened in that 1/1000th of a second!

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Snagged these the other night. Finally getting this lightning thing down....
IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Caught this shot last summer in northeast Ohio:

a5d3a313.jpg

Captured by iPod camera. It's a bit of a cheat - actually a frame from a video I took; the iPod's still camera feature has lousy resolution but it is capable of taking 1080 HD video (don't ask me to explain how that's possible). I happened to be visiting a friend when I looked out and saw this storm approaching from the west close to sunset, with lots of lightning. I hit record and took about ten or fifteen minutes of video; got a few strikes but that by far was the prettiest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back