• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Your Best Lightning Shot to date...

Jeremy Jones

Before I really got into chasing SVR weather, I was shooting lightning. I have always been fascinated by lightning! To me, filming a CG Barrage can be just as rewarding as filming a nader! :D

So, with that said....I wanted to post my all time favorite Lightning shot. It was shot on 8.19.09 on US 60, 3 miles East of Lamont, Oklahoma. And before people ask me if this photo is fake....It is a 5 frame HDR Rendering....with only a slight saturation boost. :eek:

I was curious to see everyone else's all time favorite lightning strike photo!
3845698253_4048db74b5_o.jpg

Great photos guys! This is a shot I took on the west side of Amarillo in 2003. Definitely the best lightning shot I've ever taken.

strokeofluck92903copy.jpg

Great photos guys! This is a shot I took on the west side of Amarillo in 2003. Definitely the best lightning shot I've ever taken.

strokeofluck92903copy.jpg

This shot is just plain SICK!!!

It got me thinking of another one of my top favorites. This one was shot on the North side of the Edmond, OK. This one was definitely my closest strike ever. The strike hit the Power Sub-Station about an 1/8 mile up the road. The thunder was instantaneous!

3795719352_56caf569c7_o.jpg

Thanks for posting guys! :)

This shot is just plain SICK!!!

It got me thinking of another one of my top favorites. This one was shot on the North side of the Edmond, OK. This one was definitely my closest strike ever. The strike hit the Power Sub-Station about an 1/8 mile up the road. The thunder was instantaneous!

3795719352_56caf569c7_o.jpg

Thanks for posting guys! :)

Thanks Jeremy! This photo of yours is pretty darn sick too! Very close with nice colors.

Got this one this one on the storm that went tornado warned on 5/6/10 over council grove, ks after it had dissipated and was moving south of Topeka.

picture.php

After about an hour of trying to squeeze something from a pathetic little thundershower, I was about to pack it in, when suddenly... Kaboom. Only noteworthy strike of the night.

541873749_ixrZU-L-2.jpg

I don't seem to get a lot of unobscured lightning here despite its frequency. Still not sure what I can do about it...

Gosh, compared to y'all's, my shots BITE. :/

Lightning my favorite element of Storm. Not much luck with lightning ... usually take 200 shots, delete all but one, two if I'm dang lucky. LOL!

Great captures *officially jealous now* :)

Wow! Awesome lightning captures everyone! Hmm... this one was hard for me. I think this is my personal favorite of all. This was an incredibly lucky lightning capture. First off, the oil rig is active, so I had to have enough lightning to illuminate the scene, but it had to strike as soon as the rig reached its max height. This was a 13.5sec exposure at f/11 ISO: 400. I would say this is 95% luck and 5% skill. I call this shot Energy. This was taken in Iowa Park , TX.

Attachments

• Energy_web.jpg
    Energy_web.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 318
These are all awesome shots! I can't get lightning shots with my Fujifilm, so I will just sit back in awe of all of yours.

I got this one with the Rockies along with it! 14000' Mt Evans is that prominent peak.
That's just sick. One of the most incredible lightning shots I've ever seen!

I've never managed to get CG's with an interesting foreground or background, but I like the transparent rain curtains and shelf cloud in this shot. It was taken just a mile from my apartment on the outskirts of Norman in June 2008.

2590976047_e5eabf6c01_o.jpg

I can't find the one I wanted to post and I am too lazy to upload my sweet daytime shot from yesterday......so, here is one of my personal favorites........damn near ruined my 20D being soaked with rain. Shot with a 70-200L f/2.8

IMG_7327ecC.jpg

I've got quite a few lightning pictures and had a hard time deciding so here's a couple of mine

89948aa841f49f8b52b384e092651d19.jpg

c61cfebcdb4a1bcba9b03b014da42cd2.jpg

c8f35d7879f539e0cb8be7773fd04fc7.jpg

This last image was taken in film years ago and was scanned. Why it's grainy

63e0c453e6ef310548a2806eafea77f6.jpg

Now, that's a heck of a shot Martin. I'd be very proud to have taken that!

Thats awesome Doug, love how the left bolt has positioned itself over the top of the church.

Awesome shots! I knew that by starting this thread, some amazing pieces of work would pop up! Here's another one of my favs...It was shot West of Stillwater, OK.

I often find shooting lightning in the daytime can be EXTREMELY frustrating! I have only a handful of daytime Lightning strikes. When I shoot lightning in the day, I try to stop my cam down to the slowest shutter speed I can achieve. This seems to help me with a better success rate, than jacking my cam up to say 1/3000 of second shutter speed. I also try and shoot in bursts of 3, every couple of seconds. Like I said it's very hit and miss it seems. I have heard of an attachment you can put on your cam, that can detect the step leader from a strike, and it opens your shutter just in time, but I haven't looked into it yet....Might be pretty cool to try!

Anyways, I often refer to this shot as my daytime masterpiece....Again It's in HDR (My preferred choice of editing).

3752626308_f6a290e4aa_o.jpg

Back