• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Your Best Lightning Shot to date...

23_08_2008mk68.jpg

-Marko

That is the best one I've seen! Where was it taken / what are the technical specs of it?

tulsalightning2.jpg

This was in Tulsa last July if I remember correctly...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll go with this one from last August SE of Watonga, OK. Got some LP supercell action going there as well. :)

8170910.jpg

Some incredible pictures in here. I think lightning is the most stunning element of a storm to get a photograph of.

These aren't nearly as good as most of the others, but the best I've gotten:
IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

These two would probably be my favorites. Both taken the same night, August 5, 2007 in Santa Fe, NM. Great night - I got more than 40 shots with lightning in them.

lightning080507-1.jpg

lightning080507-4.jpg

Great shots everyone!

Here are a couple of mine.

000438.jpg

You can't see the bolt in this one but I just like how it illuminates the storm.

000418.jpg

That is the best one I've seen! Where was it taken / what are the technical specs of it?

Thanks Adam, glad you like it! This photo was taken atop of the cliffs in SW Slovenia, just above Trieste if you're familiar with big Italian city south of the Alps (you can google it). The location is perfect, several hundred meters above the coast, so its acts as a good spot for lightning and other photography quite often.

I shot it with Canon 30D and I think it was done at ISO 200, f/8 and 15".

Image46.jpg

This Picture (Above) was actually a little out of focus but I love the colors.

Everyones pictures are absolutely amazing. My goal is to capture the leaders as some of you have since this is my favorite part of the lightning.

got this one last night from a dying supercell near Fredonia Ks. It had spectacular lightning and is by far my best lightning shot to date

29720_434529490933_543045933_5814168_5987553_n.jpg

Mine would have to be out of the Aurora, Nebraska supercell last year, June 17th, 2009:

3637382189_fd647ef770.jpg

Nice shot Chris! Well done!
Ahh, that's quite the famous storm that was! While I wasn't there, Mike H. put together a really nice Lightning Slide show from almost the same position on the storm! But If I remember correctly, I think he was shooting from a truck stop...I could be wrong! :rolleyes:

I would hate to have been shooting this lightning show, only to find out that, Mike H. had shot it as well....Tough Act to follow if you know what I mean! :D

Nice shot Chris! Well done!
Ahh, that's quite the famous storm that was! While I wasn't there, Mike H. put together a really nice Lightning Slide show from almost the same position on the storm! But If I remember correctly, I think he was shooting from a truck stop...I could be wrong! :rolleyes:

I would hate to have been shooting this lightning show, only to find out that, Mike H. had shot it as well....Tough Act to follow if you know what I mean! :D

Thanks Jeremy, yeah we were actually at the same exit as Mike, but we went south and into a field just south of York.

This one was taken near St. Joseph in 2008.
101_3083a.jpg

This one was taken at my parents house in southwest Iowa in 2007.
104_2015a.jpg

a few of mine! lightning photography is prob my favorite thing, but it can be so frustrating too!

086.JPG

102.JPG

085.JPG

066.JPG

Mine is May 21 of this year from a tiny storm near Matador, TX. Literally, this storm was a tiny red blob on radar, and didn't put out a lot of lightning. So I was glad I got this one when I did!

4573035490_9ccc7a6e55_o.jpg

This is unedited ... if someone worked on it it may look better. ;-)

Attachments

• 1 (3).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Awesome lightning captures everyone! Hmm... this one was hard for me. I think this is my personal favorite of all. This was an incredibly lucky lightning capture. First off, the oil rig is active, so I had to have enough lightning to illuminate the scene, but it had to strike as soon as the rig reached its max height. This was a 13.5sec exposure at f/11 ISO: 400. I would say this is 95% luck and 5% skill. I call this shot Energy. This was taken in Iowa Park , TX.

There are no words to describe how cool that picture is. Great shot!

Back