• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Your Best Lightning Shot to date...

Took this in July out by Keota Co, I mainly went out for shots of the milky way and ended up being treated to a 45-60 light show up by Grover and the Pawnee buttes. For those who know the area the Keota water tower is lower right._66A5403.jpg

June 22, 2019 - Had a special visitor stay at my work so in advance of an approaching MCS, set a camera up for continuous time lapse. Figured any keepers would at best be predictably like the first. Just before it arrived, anvil bolt arced out and hit to the south with branching going overhead. I was outside when it struck and moments away from gathering my gear ahead of the rain. Could not believe this happened.

(Note: after a few frames of first scene, positioned camera left to hide nuisance light hence the subtle composition difference of second)
SHCF0456.PNG

YBEI5360.PNG

64704667_460764767818442_639431196270395392_n.jpg

Last edited:
June 22, 2019 - Had a special visitor stay at my work so in advance of an approaching MCS, set a camera up for continuous time lapse. Figured any keepers would at best be predictably like the first. Just before it arrived, anvil bolt arced out and hit to the south with branching going overhead. I was outside when it struck and moments away from gathering my gear ahead of the rain. Could not believe this happened.

(Note: after a few frames of first scene, positioned camera left to hide nuisance light hence the subtle composition difference of second)
View attachment 19449

View attachment 19450

View attachment 19451

Oh come on! How is anyone supposed to compete with a bolt over the Weinermobile?!

Just end this thread...game over man, game over!

Michael Snyder said:
Yes, it was kicking out some crazy lightning. A nice treat after dealing with hail smashed windows at the hotel!
Hail smashed windows would not be fun :eek: .. sorry to hear about that.
But I do love a good lightning show!

I may have candidates for new favorites... took these somewhere between 2-3am Friday morning near Eureka, Kansas on the backside of an MCS that rolled through. My news 14-24mm Nikkor lens had arrived two days earlier and I'd say it paid for itself immediately (not literally, but this was EXACTLY why I wanted the full frame lens). I had just finished shooting 90 minutes worth of lightning at a different location when I caught this tree in a flash on my drive back and had to set up for a shot. I was NOT disappointed. Both these shots were taken on a Nikon D750 at 14mm @ f/7

97941310_10157447091061279_7762904635899117568_o.jpg

98075546_10157450259496279_143464212767703040_o.jpg

I may have candidates for new favorites... took these somewhere between 2-3am Friday morning near Eureka, Kansas on the backside of an MCS that rolled through. My news 14-24mm Nikkor lens had arrived two days earlier and I'd say it paid for itself immediately (not literally, but this was EXACTLY why I wanted the full frame lens). I had just finished shooting 90 minutes worth of lightning at a different location when I caught this tree in a flash on my drive back and had to set up for a shot. I was NOT disappointed. Both these shots were taken on a Nikon D750 at 14mm @ f/7

97941310_10157447091061279_7762904635899117568_o.jpg

98075546_10157450259496279_143464212767703040_o.jpg

WOW! Great shots!

Here are five of my favorite lightning images taken over the past few years.

The first image is from August 15, 2019 in southeast Kansas. This is a single 8 second exposure from the leading edge of an MCS that formed out of a cluster of tornadic supercells near Alta Vista, KS earlier in the evening. I have about a dozen quality photos from this location of one of the most intense CG lightning barrages I have ever seen.

The second image is from southeast Saskatchewan Canada in July 2017 from a marginally severe storm.

The third image is from Tulsa, OK in August 2018 from a non-severe thunderstorm as it hammered downtown with an intense CG barrage.

The fourth image is from November 30, 2018 near Webbers Falls, OK. This CG burst came out of a tornadic supercell just minutes prior to the formation of a long-track eF2 tornado which hit Cookson and Blackgum, OK

The fifth image is from Coweta, OK in June 2017 of an impressive CG strike along the leading edge of a loosely organized MCS
PSX_20210112_103108.jpg PSX_20201109_084152.jpg
PSX_20201111_115202.jpgPSX_20210106_092547.jpgPSX_20210109_085745.jpg

Last edited:
Downtown Wilmington, NC looking north. This did not hit the building. It was actually several miles north. I've actually had a few people say I did this with Photoshop. I have no Photoshop skills.

I DSCF2525.jpg

Capture.JPG

One of my most favorite lightning bolts that I have ever captured was on October 21st, 2017, near the town of Manitou, OK, in Southwestern Oklahoma. No, this is not a composite, but rather two lightning bolts that struck AT THE SAME TIME! You can even see a 3rd stepped leader failing to make it to the ground. Recently I acquired a Canon M50, so I am excited to use that to capture beautiful lightning bolts this year.
22553240_1688366104520915_557298635303190490_o.jpg

Caught an upward strike emanating from a not too distant turbine blade back in April 2020. Hoping schedule and opportunity make it possible to spend time in our (C IL) wind farm to witness what goes on as I've noticed higher strike concentration for this area on Radarscope. Assume this is due to height and/or static generation from spinning components?

200411_005.jpg

When I think of a best picture, I think favorite picture, and I keep coming back to a single set of photographs, of which this is one, and certainly not the best I have ever taken. The difference is context: what we were doing when we took the picture. What it means to the photographer, and if he’s lucky, to the viewer.

WInaRd.jpg

North of Tucson, AZ. Looking south from W. Ina Road a couple of miles E of I-10
Pentax K-1000, 50 mm f/2.0 (kit) lens.
Kodacolor II 100 ASA Color Film
Shutter Speed: B-setting, “until the next flash”​

Here’s the context. A monsoon thunderstorm was drifting W off the Santa Catalina Mountains. It was a dark site, and quiet, with just an occasional sprinkling of rain and no wind. Some large creosote bushes are visible off to the left of the field of view, and the flash is just at the edge of the heavy rain curtain just visible due to the striation in the luminosity around and near it.

This view is gone forever: buried beneath cluster housing, strip malls, and Pusch Ridge resorts.

Last edited:
People fly drones around tornadoes…anyone in Florida put a heavily tented pane over a GoPro near the base of the rockets where Uman and sons fired rockets into thunderstorms?

People fly drones around tornadoes…anyone in Florida put a heavily tented pane over a GoPro near the base of the rockets where Uman and sons fired rockets into thunderstorms?
I don’t know about the GoPro but they have put high-speed cameras at launch sites. Here’s a paper by Uman and others. What I wouldn’t give for one of those high-speed cameras….

I'm sure most of the members of StormTrack have at least one lightning video that shows one or more stepped leaders, but to see the discharge process at µs resolution is just...wow. This is just one example from a simple search. I know there is a site with more high speed lightning videos that are not hosted by YouTube, but the URL escapes me at the moment.

Last edited:
Back