Your Best Lightning Shot to date...

Haven't always had the best luck with lightning. Finally happened to be shooting in the right direction time and location to capture this, a full wide 14mm frame on my D700:
Near Parkes, NSW Australia on the 29/11/2011
Crawler of the Dish:
crawlerofthedishweb.jpg

LOVE this pic. Can you tell me what settings did you use? I think the motion blurs from the tail lights make it even better.

2005venicelightning-web.jpg

I've been enjoying this thread for some time and thought I'd post one of my more unusual lightning photos, shot in Venice, Italy, in August, 2005. This is over the Grand Canal, shot from the bridge by the train station.

Great shots, everyone!
~ Chris

Here's a couple of my favourites, from November 12 2011. Both taken near Grafton, North East New South Wales, Australia.

First one is the closest bolts I've caught on camera. You can make out the upward leaders to the right of the right hand bolt.

IMG_5807_resize.jpg

Numerous stacattos were pounding the earth not far from out shooting location and this is the pick of the barrage. Shot at 17mm

IMG_5782copy_resize.jpg

Some absolutely outstanding images in this thread!!

Jason, capturing the upward leaders like that is really cool. Thats my goal! Especially with the lake in the foreground, that is a really sweet shot.

Here is one I took a while back. I got lucky as I didn't have a tripod, and had just gotten my camera set up. I took this with the camera set up right outside my front door. Unfortunately where I live, there are lots of hills, and trees.
DSC_0019watermark1.jpg

likely an old color slide: "bolt from the blue"

7065301327_45a358ced3_c.jpg

August 2004, near Milano, Italy.

- fabio

Fantastic pictures!! :cool:

Here is not my best Picture, but the most unusual of me. The Lightning hits the cooling Tower of the Atomic Power Plant.

The Picture was made close of my Home Town Aarau in Switzerland on the 31.August 2008.

14106998.jpg

Many greetings from Switzerland
Gregory

Attachments

• 14106998.jpg
    14106998.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 47
Let's see if I have anything to contribute here! This first one was taken back in 2007 with my first digital camera, in Livingston County, Illinois.
2503230760_d4d60503f6_b.jpg

Attachments

• P8230019_edited-1.jpg
    P8230019_edited-1.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 46
And, some more recent ones, with my camera I have had since 2008(olympus E-510)

This one got a little too close for comfort, I hear the power lines buzz overhead.
2613137914_5ebe687ea0_b.jpg

different night:
2821097105_8279fc4a28_b.jpg

And my only good one from last year:
7112744353_7a4099f936_b.jpg

As you can see, all my recent ones with my DSLR always turn out the same in regards to color. Any ideas on how to enhance the colors of these lightning shots? It just all seems to be that purple color, and I cannot get any background or foreground elements to show up

As you can see, all my recent ones with my DSLR always turn out the same in regards to color. Any ideas on how to enhance the colors of these lightning shots? It just all seems to be that purple color, and I cannot get any background or foreground elements to show up

Those are nice, I haven't spent much time on crawlers. Seems a bit odd to me that in several of your shots just part of the bolt is blown out. You can fix that by setting to a smaller aperture, but the rest of the bolt will be dimmer. Concerning the color, it will look slightly different if you use different white balance settings. But for the most part I think your camera just picks up what color there is.

Really enjoy coming back to this thread everyone, great photos!

Back