Winter Storm Warning

Today's Winter Storming Warnings across the US seems to me to highly unusual. I have seen large sections in the country before, but never encompassing pretty much the entire states of Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi. If you add in the Wind Chill Warnings though Kansas it makes for an interesting map. Does anyone have examples of anything similar? I thought this might make for a good discussion while we wait for chasing weather.2021 Winter Storm.png

If maps such as the above had been available back in the late 70's to early 80's, I think they would have looked somewhat similar in terms of the winter weather and temps of the time. I am in central Arkansas and can remember not going to school for like 2 weeks straight during those years because of both winter weather and the brutal temps/windchills, and the resulting busted pipes and power outages.

It will be interesting to see if this is a one time anomaly or a longer-term pattern change. The long range models are not grooving about any major severe set-ups anytime soon. I feel for the people (and animals) in the path of this deep freeze.

I feel for the people (and animals) in the path of this deep freeze.

Thanks! lol
Here, near Lamar CO, I haven't seen the sun in a week, and the rime ice from last Monday's freezing fog has not melted, and won't before Friday, per the forecast. It's 0°F. The forecast low for tomorrow morning is -22°F. The record is -3.

I have been helping out a neighbor by daily filling up a water tank for his cattle, which occupy the field next to me. I use regular garden hoses attached to a hydrant in my front yard. After filling the tank I drain the hoses. Oh, it has been so much fun doing that this past week!

Have you seen what has been happening with natural gas prices? Insane!

The amount of energy from 1 Mcf of gas is in the ballpark of the energy in a gallon of gasoline. Imagine gasoline being $600/gallon! Get out your credit card for that $9000 tank of gas.

I feel bad for all the people who are going to have frozen or burst pipes from this. Us way North people are used to this. The people down there, not so much...

I saw something online about this being the first time every county in TX has been in a winter storm warning at the same time. Actually, I don't think that is technically correct going off the map above (and a similar one that accompanied the story), because a handful of counties have advisories or watches. But some kind of winter highlight in every county, and warnings in the vast majority. Also warnings for every county in OK and every county in AR, so I would think pretty unusual if you consider the whole map. Here in Pagosa Springs, CO we have just over 9 inches of new snow, but are escaping the worst of the cold because there are two mountain ranges between us and the coldest air.

I saw something online about this being the first time every county in TX has been in a winter storm warning at the same time. Actually, I don't think that is technically correct going off the map above (and a similar one that accompanied the story), because a handful of counties have advisories or watches. But some kind of winter highlight in every county, and warnings in the vast majority. Also warnings for every county in OK and every county in AR, so I would think pretty unusual if you consider the whole map. Here in Pagosa Springs, CO we have just over 9 inches of new snow, but are escaping the worst of the cold because there are two mountain ranges between us and the coldest air.

Earlier today, prior to the winter storm warning being lifted for portions of the panhandle, every county in Texas was in fact under a winter storm warning. They're still in effect for all of Texas except for most of the panhandle now. The map above that was posted this morning does not reflect the southernmost counties of the state being added around midday.

KLAA (Lamar CO) reported a low of -29°F this morning. This is not an all-time low for Lamar (-30), but it's the coldest temp I have ever seen at my location, including the 5 years I lived in Minneapolis. I can't tell you what it "felt" like, because I never stepped outside until hours later. It beat the old record for 2-15 by 26 degrees!

The map above that was posted this morning does not reflect the southernmost counties of the state being added around midday.

And the issue with the NWS maps is that it colors in counties for warnings that don't start yet... So while there was a time that all of TX was in it - many of the maps floating around showing all of TX along with AZ in them were wrong, as the AZ ones expired as the TX ones started. Not a big deal - it's just strange that NWS does it that way.

It will be interesting to see if this is a one time anomaly or a longer-term pattern change.

This is something I will be keeping an eye on as well. We've had winter storms each of the last three Aprils here in Minneapolis. Our previous average April snowfall was maybe an inch or two. In 2018 we had a blizzard with nearly 20" of snow followed by multiple days of sub-zero temps...well into April. It seems our seasons have shifted by a month or two. What was once March is now April/May and what was November is now December. My guess is the bitter cold in the central/southern plains this week is not an anomaly. We just don't understand the shift yet.

As a DFW resident, I can tell you this has stunk. We lost power at 2:15 am on Monday and it was still off as of 5 pm Tuesday. Luckily I got the last room at a hotel and we left Monday afternoon. Some friends tried to stay and their home inside temp got to 35 this am ( it was -4 outside). I got about 4 inches of snow the first time and it is snowing again now. Crossing my fingers for no sleet or freezing rain (it is about 20 now).

Intersting thing to note, this is my kids first school snow day in 6 years. The last few years we really have not had much of a winter in DFW. Another interesting note is NWS FWD issued their very first Wind Chill Warning ever this week.

Dean Baron said:
It seems our seasons have shifted by a month or two. What was once March is now April/May and what was November is now December.
This is something I've noticed too..its not any warmer or colder than before, but it sure seems like all the seasons have shifted by about a month later compared to when I was young. I realize it could be a figmant of my imigination or failing memories...but maybe there actually is something to it.
And also kinda seems like its dryer overall, and there's less thunderstorms in the summer too..

----------
As for the Winter Storm this thread is about...
Where I'm at in Colorado, we didn't get much snow - only about an inch total. And just single-digits below zero.
(being close to the mountains here (and higher elevation than Denver), I was also close to the edge of the storm, so guessing that's why it wasn't as bad where I'm at)

Back