Who's itching for spring season already?

I honestly don't have the itch just yet. Perhaps becuase I live 75 miles from the Canuck border and have realistic expectations of not seeing much in the way of convection until April with prime severe season not really cranking up until late May. Once tornadoes start forming in Nebraska then the itch becomes noticable. Come mid May it gets persistent. Last season was not as good as '05 in these parts so I'm hoping '07 offers an improvement. Perhaps all that snow in the CO mountains will help keep the cap under control.

I'm counting the days down until March 1st arrives! My first chase of last year was on March 8th, witnessed dime sized hail and plenty of lightning/heavy rain!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's the move to a warmer, drier (I think drier is the key) climate, but I didn't really care about spring (before this storm system, it felt like it would in early May after a front brings 70s and drier air in KS). I started getting it briefly on Dec. 28 and 29th when in Houston for the Texas Bowl. The air felt a lot like cloudy spring days before systems came in (humid and mid-60s). My severe weather sense said something was going to happen in TX after we got out of there (we got out the morning of the 29th, passing Dallas about 12 hours before they got their fun that day).

Looking at the road atlas, I'm ~ 10-11 hours from Amarillo going the speed limit (I'm one of the rare ones that do). If things set up for some panhandle chases on a Saturday, I'll make a weekend road trip out of it. I'll do it on a Sunday if things look great, as I'll miss some or all of my Monday at work (I can make some of that up on a Saturday morning).

Otherwise, I'm in KS the first weekend of March and, if work allows me to, take a 10 or 11-day vacation to KS in mid May. I still have the passion deep down, but the climate change has changed my perspective and my chasing season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course I cant wait, but I know I'll be driving south between March and April. Missouri was the hot spot last year so I might do a MO/IL chase this Spring season. Other than that May/June/July are usually the best up here in WI. After the 13 weak sauce tornadoes last year anything is worth looking forward to. I believe Winter is just starting up here.

I'll be ready once I've felt some temps at 10 below and wallowed in 2 foot of snow! I may have to go to Colorado or back to the U.P of Mich. to fulfill my winter craving.. hopefully I will.

I am optimistic that with all the moisture the western high plains have been receiving this season that spring may harbor some good chases out that way... still, I don't expect an extrordinary year like '04 or '05.

Rocky&family

Hey guys I would like to collect some emails of the Texas based chasers.. I am going to make 2007 my most active season thus far. If your intrested drop me a PM or email me @ [email protected] I would like to meet up with some of you.

I can hardly wait until I can chase dust devils whirling around in my home farm. And since it is El Nino year, then maybe there will be active tornado season as well. 1998 was pretty hard one.

I’m itching for it already. My girlfriend is already noticed me talking about chasing more often. I’ve been checking storm track more often. I think I’m partly more excited this year because this will be my first time out with my wx worx during “chase season”. I had a related dream where my girlfriend was driving my car, crashed it, and in the process broke my wx worx. I was really bummed, but happy when I woke up and realized it was a dream. I also went out and purchased a weather radio recently because my original vanished in August. I’m also excited, because I have good amount saved up for this summer, so I’ll be able to focus more on the storms, and less on cash during my chasecation (I hope).

Now's definitely the time for that to start. The holiday hangover has finally worn off, Valentine's Day is approaching... Pitchers and catchers report to Spring training in less than two weeks.

The sun sets now (at least where I am) AFTER you leave work, and when the sun hits you in the afternoon it actually feels warm.

We're on the downhill and accelerating.

That all said, and perhaps because SDS is so strong right now,
does anyone else have a "feeling" about this year? I have a gut feeling it's going to be a productive year.

I am running out of clumps of hair on my head to pull out in anticipation for this season. Don't get me wrong, I love any form of extreme weather too, but when it is considered extreme for us to get 4 inches of snow by the locals I am just not satisfied. Although the white stuff is fun to throw at people. :D

I to have a pretty good feeling about this year, however I don't want to jynx it so... -knocks on wood-

I think part of the reason we have that "gut feeling" about this year is because we're hoping it's not going to turn out like the last two years.

I think this is going to be a great chase year. Snowpack in CO and the Gulf is getting warm and humid. (I know this happened last year with the gulf so any naysayers can chime in.) I think we are also due here in DFW for something big also. I feel this will be my best chase season yet. I cant get too far from home as we are expecting, but I will be out, just in a close proximity. Good luck to all as we have one month to get through then the heat turns up in Texas. For me that is....

Back