Who plans on chasing in March?

Craig Maire II

Just wondering who plans on doing any chasing in March?? Usually there are ATLEAST a couple of "good" chase days during March.

I don't know that there are "ATLEAST a couple 'good' chase days during march"... Most marches, by my experience (and if I remember correctly) feature a chaseable day or two somewhere in the (often-southern) plains, though this varies year-to-year. Many of the early-season systems present high-shear, low-instability chase opportunities, which tend to make for difficult chases...

Regardless of the month, if a "good" chase opportunity presents itself, barring previous important engagements, I'm there...

Just wondering who plans on doing any chasing in March??

By "good" I meant days when there is a decent likelyhood for large hail, damaging winds and tornados. Also, excellent website Jeff!

Many of the early-season systems present high-shear, low-instability chase opportunities, which tend to make for difficult chases...

So its like Illinois in April and May? Alright, I've got some experience then!

Craig, seeing that my spring quarter at Depaul runs April - June... my one chance to make a trip out to the plains will probably be during my spring break in March. Depending on my finals this runs March 19-28. It might not be a bad idea to pool resources for a chase team or at least form a caravan if you or anyone else is thinking about heading south into the plains this time of year... weather permitting of course.

March

Would definitely be interested in "teaming up" this March if the weather looks favorable. Lets hope that gas prices drop or atleast don't go any higher this spring!

I don't care what month of the year it is, if there is a nice setup and I can get off work I will chase. So yes I would chase in March do doubt about it. March, in my opinion, is a good "warm-up" month. A chance to get back into the chase groove after the long hard winter. If we could have another March 27, 2004 (In Oklahoma) this season I would be greatfull to mother nature.

Mick

Just wondering who plans on doing any chasing in March?? Usually there are ATLEAST a couple of "good" chase days during March.

There's a saying I heard often in a climate change class a few years back at OU:

"Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get"

This far out from March who knows what will happen? I guess I can say I'm "planning" on it but like always I won't know for sure until <= 24 hours from the potential event.

Just wondering who plans on doing any chasing in March??

The answer, of course, is yes

The good chases might be few and far in March, but chasers tend to be very hungry that time of year. This hunger can make up for whatever pessimism the mind might hold, allowing chasers to at least get out there if something does happen. I think a lot of chasers mind f#$% themselves out of good chases in early months, owing to "common sense" and climatology. I know I have :lol:

I am ready to go now. I am a little cautious about building up my expectations on the early season chases. It is a good opportunity to get out and trouble shoot the equipment before the real deal though.

I am ready to go now. I am a little cautious about building up my expectations on the early season chases. It is a good opportunity to get out and trouble shoot the equipment before the real deal though.

I like to get all of this out of the way in the winter before my first "real" chase. I went out after that squall line we had the other day and encountered a myriad of problems with netstumbler and map point. Had I been messing around with that in March I would have been fuming.

Prior to last season, a March chase was more of a pipe-dream for me. I typically reserve March as my "pre-season" time, finalizing details and work on my vehicle and equipment and preparing any "workbooks" I would be using over the season. Last year, I chased in late March on a whim and caravaned down with several chasers who skipped out on the last day of the Des Moines conference. I guess I would take a venture out on one of two conditions; I was at the Des Moines conference and something looked good; it was my Spring Break and I was off school during that time. Otherwise, I typically save my "breaking it in" chases for April.

Later edit: My Spring Break this year is March 21 - 27. FYI :lol:

Why wait until March. Last week we had tornados in Oklahoma. :D
If there is a good chance of severe weather I will be out there. (Like everyone else I'm sure.)

For Craig, and those who have or are planning on a spring break Plains trip:
What kind of overnight accomadations did you have in mind? Like the rest of you college students, I don't have much money to throw around and was planning on camping. Plots are cheap ($5-$10 a night) and a cooler will save money on food expenses.

I camp at least once a year so I am quite comfortable with that, but I have never done it while actively pursueing severe weather. I think there could be some issues with the tent blowing away. Anyway, has anyone attempted this before on a chase?

Re: March

Would definitely be interested in "teaming up" this March if the weather looks favorable. Lets hope that gas prices drop or atleast don't go any higher this spring!

I do also plan to head to the plains over my spring break, which is also March 19-28...that is, if there are some decent set ups. Im not making any plans now, because at that time in March we could still be doing snow storms...but should the weather cooperate I'd be up for a caravan.

Back