Who plans on chasing in March?

March

March chases are for "flatlanders". The last 3 years when trying to chase in March, I never made it out of Colorado due to snow :(

Has anyone here ever ventured into Mexico for a chase? This year may be the year for me.

Not yet...not out of the realm of possiblity during my lifetime, but I don't see that happening in the next few years (class and work commitments). How is the road network down that way? I can't imagine it'd be any good...but I suppose there is an off-chance that a tornadic storm would come within striking distance of a Mexican highway.

March can be downright nasty...one of the worst tornado outbreaks in Nebraska history occurred during the month of March (the 23rd day in 1913). Several long-track violent tornadoes struck the state, including the city of Omaha. Chasing this type of tornado outbreak is difficult, but even the 30 seconds of viewing time that you might obtain could be worth the trouble.

Gabe

March outbreaks

March 13, 1990 was another huge outbreak during that month. Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa all got hammered with a total of over 50 tornadoes including the Hesston F5, with more tornadoes occurring as far north as Wisconsin!

More typical for a March outbreak appears to be something like what happened on March 04, 2004. There were lots of severe thunderstorms and tornadoes, but they were fast-moving and for the most part non-photogenic.

Then you have your occassional days with more chaseable, photogenic tornadic supercells, March 27, 2004 being a good recent example.

You can have your near-total busts, like March 08, 1999, where the weak instability could not overcome the cap and a marginally severe squall line was the only storm activity.

And then you have this.... http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mkx/document/tor/m...etor_3-8-00.htm

Oops, almost forgot, the Tri-State Tornado was in March of 1925.

In short....ANYTHING can happen during the month of March. As for whether or not it'll be chaseable, it's hit or miss.

At least this is my observation from what I've learned about March severe weather events.

Yep, I'll definitely be out there in March if something happens. Chase season often starts out in Texas in March, but usually it is only one or two opportunities. Heck this is February and it is not out of the question either.

If the setup looks right I'll do the drive although I doubt I'd go much farther than Texas. Perhaps Oklahoma or part of KS.

I will chase in December if the opportunity arises! I am geared up and ready to go now, so come on Mother Nature, do your thing!

March chases

Awsome website Bill! Plenty of excellent wall cloud/tornado pics.

Yes I might make a run in March - actually, chase season started here 4 days ago in fallbrook, California and Im pretty worn out from chasing 3 days straight (coming up empty)
I hope SPC takes their warnings somewhere else for a while so I can get some work done around the house - besides a water spout or a tired F0 half rope isnt really gonna be that satisifying compared with the Plains action....

Re: March chases

Awsome website Bill! Plenty of excellent wall cloud/tornado pics.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Hopefully I can get some more of seasons past up soon ( I never did put up last year's Calumet tornado), plus maybe some big tubes churning this year!!

I guess I dont really PLAN on chasing in March, but I will if something comes my way I will. Since my wife is due in April, I have to stay pretty close to home until then. Im just slowly but surely getting my equipment up and running for the big show in May and June.

already been out once for March...and I'm 1 for 1 for ternaders.

Back