What's the next best thing to add to my vehicle?

Hey guys!

Love the wisdom and input I find here!

Whats the next add for my chase vehicle?

I own a 2005 Escape Hybrid 4x4.

I have a Laptop Mount with my laptop running GRlevel3. I have a puck GPS for the GRlevel3 and Streets and Trips. I am tethering to my iphone on AT&T (moving to Verizon this summer). I have a JVC MiniDv on my dash that firewires to my laptop to stream online (Severestudios).

I have a magmount Inspeed Anemometer and a handheld Kestrel.

I have another JVC Mini DV with tripod for shooting.

Also have a Canon Rebel Xti

What am I missing? What would be next? I am in youth ministry so I am not rich!

Attachments

• 4_30_2010 8_58 PM_0001.jpg
    4_30_2010 8_58 PM_0001.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 101
  • bnbnbn.jpg
    bnbnbn.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 94
Lightbar?

Ah, but seriously. I don't think you really need anything else if that setup works for you. How about an external antenna for your data source, or maybe a scanner/ham radio?

Skip,

I have thought of an Amber bar for the back window when I am stopped!

I use the iphone....I dont think they make a very good external! I have thought about the HAM

Don't waste your money on a lightbar. Besides, we'll make fun of you. :)

The only amp that will work for the iPhone would be a wireless one. Results are mixed on most of these. New one just came out (do a search, was talked about recently from Maximum Signal), but is pricey (~$320). When you switch to Verizon, are you getting a new phone from them? Or a data card? Many data cards let you plug in an antenna.

Andy---

You wont make fun of me would you ?? I was just thinking an amber behind the tint..just for flashers! Guess not!

Verizon will be another iphone

Nah I won't, but some will. It's a raging debate here off and on, many threads about it.

Anyway, look up the threads on the amplifiers. It probably isn't something you NEED right away, but could be useful in spots. A few people have purchased the new wireless amp from Maximum Signal, but I haven't heard any reviews one way or the other about it yet from chasers. I expect we'll know lots more once the season gets underway.

Andy,

Thanks for your grace!

Yea I am looking at the Wilson Apple iPhone iBooster. Curious if this really works!

I think you'd get a lot more use out of a dedicated datacard with a direct connect antenna than a lightbar or a wireless amplifier for the iphone. Datacards can be had for cheap on ebay, and there are no contract Verizon plans and Millenicom (which uses Verizon) which is no contract as well and even cheaper.

Skip,

I agree, I just dont want to pay the fee for the data! I tether my iphone and dont want to add the expense of a data card

How much is that wireless amp for the iphone going to cost? $150-$200? That's April, May, and June's data cost right there. The datacard itself is free if you go with Millenicom. The increased performance and convenience should be more than worth that price. Plus you could use your iphone as an alternate data source/backup.

After reading this thread again, I had better clarify my very ambiguous reply. My point was that you have a lot of nice toys to make chasing easier and fun. You said you are a minister and not rich, so save some money to actually chase with. Set aside enough to do a possible major vehicle repair while far from home.

As far as time goes, spend some of your time learning all you can about forecasting and storm propagation. Get some videos from chasers and watch what they do. Read books from Howie Bluestein, Tom Grazulis, Tim Vasquez, or the DVD set of old Stormtrack issues Tim Marshall sells.

And last, I wish you the best of luck. Stay safe, and bag a tornado.

Agree with Wes, save the money for a chase. You'll do fine with what you have. Education is the best way to spend your time between chases. I certainly don't know everything, but watch all the videos and read all the blogs I can.

I agree with Skip. An amplifier is the absolutely the way to go. It will dramatically increase the range of your wireless signal. I consider it to be a necessary upgrade (for someone chasing with data).

Bryan

Back