"Vacation Plan" with Sprint through "More Mobile Internet"

Jared Orr

EF1
I've been doing my research lately on mobile broadband internet, and I stumbled across this site today which looks very promising-

http://www.moremobileinternet.com

It's a Sprint Retailer that specializes in mobile internet. A couple things stood out to me about this website. First of all, the most popular wireless card that they have (the Sierra 597) is free after mail-in rebate. That's always a plus.

Also, after you buy the card, they ship it to you and automatically activate your sprint account which costs about $60 per month for a 2 year committment. I'm sure many of you Stormtrack folk are already on this plan as I've seen mention of a $60 per month Sprint plan in some of the other threads.

Anywho, it sounded like a pretty good deal, so I called the toll-free number on the website and asked the support doodah Steve a few questions. After telling him that I really only needed mobile internet for 3 to 4 months out of the year, he suggested that I go with the "Vacation Plan", which basically enables the user to call in and activate his card for a 3 to 6 month period and the card is dead the rest of the year. And here's the kicker... he said it only costs 4.95 per month!

[EDIT]: That's $4.95 for the unused months... $60 still for the used months. [/EDIT]

Have any of you heard of this Vacation Plan? What do ya think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have any of you heard of this Vacation Plan? What do ya think?

I've never heard of this, but if it's legit, the 4.95 a month likely refers to the fee your paying when the card is *off*, not on... i.e., normal rates for when it's active, $4.95 a month for when it's inactive.

I've never heard of this, but if it's legit, the 4.95 a month likely refers to the fee your paying when the card is *off*, not on... i.e., normal rates for when it's active, $4.95 a month for when it's inactive.

Bravo, Ryan. :) I just called back and that's exactly what he said. $60 for every month of usage and about $5 for every other month. I guess I didn't catch that. hah. I knew it sounded too good.

Actually, that is not bad. I'd rather pay $4.95 per month in off season, not using the card, than paying Verizon rates each month and not using the card in off season.

Bill Hark

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to see how many use this option and if it is still an option before I call them about it.

$4.95/mo doesn't seem that bad for the off-season.

The "vacation plan" is because of Spint, not because of these distributors, so you might just go direct to the source. Google shows plenty of hits on that.

Interesting. I did some digging and it looks like you can only have it on hold for 6 months. I was hoping for just 3 months since my late season is pretty busy at work.

I didn't see anything on a search on here, but I know I saw something yesterday: can cellular internet be used by multiple computers? I thought I saw something yesterday on one of the threads that said that other cpus can pick it up as a WiFi spot and share the signal.

If that is the case, it may not be a horrible deal to have the ability to go mobile with it.

If you put it in a router - I have a KR2 which we put the Verizon card into, then share it amongst our laptops.

Search with "mobile router" to find much useful info on ST. I use and highly recommend the kind of router that has a direct ethernet connection besides the wireless one. The direct connect is very handy when you're not mobile, e.g. in the motel or to give broadband to any old linux box. I know both Linksys and CradlePoint make such.

Back