• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Upslope Flow - A Time Lapse Film

This week I released my time lapse film, titled "Upslope Flow."

Most of the storms were captured this year, but it includes a few shots from the last 2 years as well. It's funny, even though 2018 was a crappy year for tornadoes, it was my best year of chasing. Living next to the Northern Plains brought plenty of opportunities, unlike the last 2 years. Even though I missed out on a few of the biggest days at the end of May, I don't have much to complain about since the season both started and ended with seeing tornadoes.

I hope you enjoy watching it:

It's also on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/kevinpalmerphotography/upslopeflow

Question for you time-lapsers...how the HELL you you have the patience to wait for a lapse and not just go crazy wanting to reposition?

In any case, awesome work!
Thanks Marc. It can be tough finding the perfect place to stop and shoot a time lapse. I usually have to stay further ahead of the storm, allowing at least 10 minutes to shoot before the rain arrives. If I'm too close to the storm a time lapse becomes too difficult, so sometimes I have to sacrifice the closer shot. Carrying a backup camera also allows me to shoot with different lenses or take a panorama while my main camera is shooting a time lapse.

Awesome video Kevin! Just wondering on what camera you use for your Time lapse? I shoot a Pentax K1 and K5IIs for my stills but would like to get into some TL and video, looks like your 2018 was pretty good. Thanks Brian

Awesome video Kevin! Just wondering on what camera you use for your Time lapse? I shoot a Pentax K1 and K5IIs for my stills but would like to get into some TL and video, looks like your 2018 was pretty good. Thanks Brian

Thanks Brian. I shoot with a Nikon D750. I actually used to shoot with a Pentax K5 and still use it as a backup sometimes. With the Pentax I had to use an external intervalometer for time lapses, but on my Nikon I use the built-in interval timer. I'd imagine the newer Pentax cameras have that feature as well.

Beautiful time-lapse and overview of upslope storms !
I'm more a photography-guy. However, sometimes I make time-lapses of thunderstorms but often they are spoiled by incoming rain......

Outstanding! The association of clouds and precipitation is well illistrated. Sometimes the precipitation still falls even after the clouds dissipate. Great presentation of this phenomena.

Back