Tropical System off Carolinas?

This is now TD 7 ... here is what TWC says about it:

Off the coast of South Carolina a cluster of thunderstorms has formed into Tropical Depression Seven. The convection in the storm has increased through the afternoon and is expected to remain intense overnight. Additional strengthening is expected with this storm. Tropical advisories will be posted at 5pm along the Southeast Coast. This storm should be watched closely as the weekend progresses.

Definitely taking on a characteristic tropical spin, isn't it -

I noticed this around 11am. A little credit please. Although it's pegged to be Gaston, I'll think of it as Bill.

Good work Bill ... for the remainder of this event storm chasers everywhere shall hereby dub this storm "Bill" ...

Anyway, Gaston is kind of sappy. We really don't need to start naming hurricanes after Disney characters.

Thank you. This could become exciting. Alex formed in the same area and proved to be a much more powerful storm than forecasted. I especially like it because you'll follow the Cape Verde storms for over 2 weeks as they move across the Atlantic, the waiting is agonizing. This new depression could be wreaking havoc in less than a day.

As for forecast tracks who knows. None of the models have analyzed this storm yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it gets caught in the Bermuda high and charges up the East Coast. Maybe it could add a little excitement to the convention.

Any guesses on what's going on at the NHC right now? A little scrambling around I bet. That statement came out at 2:15 and they aren't going to have all their products ready until 5pm, when it will officially be recognized.

I'll bet there is some serious scrambling out there ... the hunters ready to head to the Carribbean are probably re-setting their sites to the South Carolina coastal waters as we speak. My brother in North Carolina hadn't heard a thing about it yet ... likely because these storms just decided to get themselves together and become cohesive as the afternoon has gone on. Amazing how quickly something like this can get going in the absence of UL shearing winds. Will be VERY interested to see just how far it can go ... can do nothing but strengthen as long as it sits and spins close to the Gulf Stream.

Good work Bill ... for the remainder of this event storm chasers everywhere shall hereby dub this storm "Bill" ...

Anyway, Gaston is kind of sappy. We really don't need to start naming hurricanes after Disney characters.

LOL.
I am keeping an eye on up and coming "Bill". What is up with that frenchy Gaston name anyway. Hurricanes need strong names, not ones that sound like a fart.

Sure, it's frenchy, but at least more people should be able to pronounce it properly, unlike Georges.

List of Current Atlantic Names

Here's a list of current Atlantic names:

Alex, Bonnie, Charley*, Danielle, Earl, Frances, Gaston, Hermine,
Ivan, Jeanne, Karl, Lisa, Matthew, Nicole, Otto, Paula, Richard,
Shary, Tomas, Virginie, Walter

The * following Charley is an assumption that name will be retired following this year's tropical season.

Back